Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Windscreen Camera Heating Elements Not Working?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. I found that by turning on one of the heated seats it activates front demist, camera heater, rear demist without turning on cabin heating ( sets it to Lo). You can then dial in whatever cabin temp you want.

Slightly different circumstances, I used defrost from app for a lighter frost this morning and doubly made sure that both front seat heaters were on and there was no evidence that the camera elements were doing anything. It sounds like defrost + seat heaters works in a less effective way than just seat heaters + setting cabin temperature. I'll try it next time just using seat heaters.

That’s interesting. For part of the defrost I had front seat heaters on.

I tried turning the heated seats on today as an alternate trick to defrost the camera while also defrosting the car, but that trick doesn't for me. After 15 minutes, made no difference.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I can confirm that in 2021.40.6, this is now working as common sense says that it should 👍

The screen shot below was taken after 3-4 minutes of defrost triggered from the Tesla App - I have added defrost to the new short cut controls and used that, but later confirmed from the climate screen that it was the normal defrost. You can turn defrost off via the same button, but it still keeps climate running but not on high, so to turn that off it still looks like you need to go into the climate screen and turn off from there. Not a criticism, just a hint for anyone who might accidentally leave their climate on.

Note the tell-tale line on the outside edge of the passenger windscreen (top arrow) that indicates that the front windscreen camera housing heater elements are active, along with a nicely cleared view from the front camera housing (lower arrow). At this point in time, windscreen hot air defrost had not got to that part of the screen at that point so the camera housing heating element is very effective as could previously be seen when leaving sentry on.

1638436664595.png

is defrost the same as just turning climate on from the app? Thats what I normally do to preheat before departure. I'd assume it should demist and clear cameras. Shouldn't need a 'special' button.

and does precondition before departure do the same?

Update. I found that by turning on one of the heated seats it activates front demist, camera heater, rear demist without turning on cabin heating ( sets it to Lo). You can then dial in whatever cabin temp you want.
Thanks for the real-world info. I'm considering trying that when there is condensation on the inside of the camera enclosure (getting "autopilot speed limited due to reduced visibility" when the sun is shining into the front of the car, and figure the inside of the windshield is fogged around the cameras).

I can confirm that in 2021.40.6, this is now working as common sense says that it should 👍

The screen shot below was taken after 3-4 minutes of defrost triggered from the Tesla App - I have added defrost to the new short cut controls and used that, but later confirmed from the climate screen that it was the normal defrost. You can turn defrost off via the same button, but it still keeps climate running but not on high, so to turn that off it still looks like you need to go into the climate screen and turn off from there. Not a criticism, just a hint for anyone who might accidentally leave their climate on.

Note the tell-tale line on the outside edge of the passenger windscreen (top arrow) that indicates that the front windscreen camera housing heater elements are active, along with a nicely cleared view from the front camera housing (lower arrow). At this point in time, windscreen hot air defrost had not got to that part of the screen at that point so the camera housing heating element is very effective as could previously be seen when leaving sentry on.

View attachment 739695
That's not the passenger side of the windscreen, it's the driver's side of the windshield! (GMT-8:00)

A lot of good and interesting information here but is it possible that the area around the front facing camera in the OP, being primarily black, absorbed and retained more heat from the sun than the rest of the clear windshield, keeping it warmer?The additional heat would only be necessary while the precipitation was actually falling or, with snow, blowing around. The black area would also tend to thaw more quickly. And the clear area on the passenger side of the windshield could be caused by a cross wind keeping that area of the windshield clear? The door pillar cameras would be more likely to be clear since they are on a vertical surface. Just a thought.