Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

So I've tried just about every concoction available (ssd, disk, usb stick, microsd/usb) and I continue to have problems with Sentry Mode. I have reports that there are events happening after the car is parked, but the Sentry Folder remains empty.

After many different USB sticks and SSD drives, I have finally gotten to the point where one set up seems to work flawlessly, with the exception of Sentry Mode. Dashcam works without concern. I am now convinced that this is not a hardware problem but a software one. Currently running 2019.32.12.2.

Setup:

Samsung Pro Endurance 64 gb Micro SDXC attached to a SanDisk MobileMate USB 3.0 SD Card Reader.

(I've used several standalone USB sticks and all have failed after a week. By failure I mean the Sentry Mode and/or Dashcam fails to show up on the screen). And yes, the sticks/disks are formatted to FAT-32 and TeslaCam is the only folder on the card.

How is this working for you? Does anyone have any other solution to the DashCam issue?

Thanks.

There's dozens and dozens of threads on sentry/dashcam issues.

It's bad software.

As evidences by folks have all sorts of random problems across the entire gamut of hardware (as you yourself seem to have experienced)

It's made worse by Teslas crap error reporting where it tells folks with drives massively faster than needed that they're "too slow" sometimes for example....so you get folks who insist it must be a hardware issue when all other evidence says it's not.

That said it's odd you'd be getting a perfectly working dashcam but NOT any saved clips- since Sentry doesn't record anything, it just moves files from recent to saved when an alert happens.