Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode works

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I took delivery of my Model 3 last week Tuesday and as we all know it's a fantastic vehicle, I cannot recommend it highly enough, there are loads of posts and videos about the Model 3 so I'm not here about that.

I was in Orpington yesterday, left my car for around an hour and when I came back to it "someone" (the guy who is clearly visible in the Sentry Videos) decided to scratch pretty much the entirety of the passenger side of the vehicle as well as inscribing "cun&" onto the bonnet. It's never a good experience to come back to this sort of sight but I was out with both my Mum and my daughter so that made things worse.

I've stuck the Sentry Cam video up on youtube

The missus has raised a solid point about why the alarm wouldn't be triggered by an event like this, but the recording does provide a solid amount of information/evidence.

It's safe to say that Sentry Mode captured the entirety of the event and provides a really clear video (apart from the odd corruption here and there). I've already reported it to the police and my insurers (Churchill) have said that my premium won't be affected by this claim as they have a "Vandalism Promise", so that's good.

Word to the wise, get yourself a usb stick and let Dash Cam/Sentry mode do their thing.

Attachments

• Bonnet.jpg
    Bonnet.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 122
  • Side View.jpg
    Side View.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 98
Really sorry to see that, like you say, sentry did the job.

Almost looked like he was about to do it to the car in front too

It looked like he did, wasn't as bad as what he did to mine but we noticed some scratches as we walked past. If they do catch this guy, then maybe this footage will benefit the owner of the other car as well...

Wow! I ned to get a USB! What brand are you using? USB stick or hard drive? Hope it gets sorted and they catch the idiot.

I used a SanDisk Ultra Slim (someone else had recommended it on this forum) https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07855LJ99

Would any news outlets/Television cover your story so the suspect's face would be widely seen and hopefully someone will recognize and phone in the tip?

Wifey is quite active on social media, she's been circulating the video on Instagram and Facebook (apparently she's been tagging Tesla & the Metro on her posts), as it stands she's found an Orpington Facebook group and has posted to that.

Reactions: pmg102 and Tam
It feels like the local police will probably know this knuckle dragging muppet quite well I would expect.

I had an alert for a Sentry Alarm activation today and on checking the footage realised I had formatted the drive incorrectly so rather than just naming the drive Teslacam like I did you needed to create a folder called Teslacam and check the dash cam light on the touch screen is active for confirmation it’s working OK.

• Informative
Reactions: Jez013
The b*stard. You must be gutted. I know I would be.

Hopefully the local cops will know this lout. Looks like he might have had a few, the way he staggered down the road.

If the M3 had a key, I know where I’d like to stick it!

What an absolute *********

Great that it picks it up and hopefully they get the idiot.

Did parking.on a street like that record everyone that walked past? Does that fill your memory card pretty quick? I also got the same SanDisk as you based on recommendation but I got the 64gb version. Might have been a mistake and need the 128? Any ideas...please let us know when (not if) they catch that clown!

That's just gutting. I'm hoping and praying the police find him quickly and he gets to appreciate the error of his ways.

Sadly the approach taken with such people by the village bobby when I grew up is no longer allowed... Which IMHO is a shame. He was a good bobby. And repeat offences were few and far between.

I am extremely gutted with the situation but the strangest thing had to have been, that, watching the video of it happen had a really calming effect on me. I ran through a load of scenarios in my mind about the motivation to send that sort of message, wondered a lot about whether I was being personally targeted.
The fact that Tesla's have this capability is brilliant, if I brought any other brand new car and parked it in the same spot at the same time it would probably be vandalised and I would have no idea why and I'd probably feel like a victim. With this footage, it is really obvious that this was not a personal attack or anything, just some hole lashing out at whoever he can.

Did parking.on a street like that record everyone that walked past? Does that fill your memory card pretty quick? I also got the same SanDisk as you based on recommendation but I got the 64gb version. Might have been a mistake and need the 128? Any ideas...please let us know when (not if) they catch that clown!

The Sentry Cam works well on busy streets, and provided you aren't away for days at a time then it is quite unlikely that it'll overwrite anything useful. I have found that consistent rain has a tendency to trigger the camera as well, also I typically park on busy streets and it does tend to trigger a LOT... recording just about every vehicle and person that goes past. This does make it a pain to review the footage to find what you are looking for but it is all there, so it just takes a bit of time.

Another oddity is that the TeslaCam folders and footage are all timestamped to UTC (which apparently isn't strange for the recording industry but it is bloody weird for normal people!). You end up with the timestamp in the file and folder names, with the details of files sometimes saying they are from the future...

TeslaBjorn did an interesting video about battery consumption with Sentry Mode on.

p.s. I've taken a while writing this reply as we've been in contact with a couple of people on Facebook, some that know who he is and others that have also had their cars keyed. I'll be getting back in contact with the police and give them what we have, but from what people are saying he is already known and is being investigated. (Social Media is kinda scary fast!)

p.s. I've taken a while writing this reply as we've been in contact with a couple of people on Facebook, some that know who he is and others that have also had their cars keyed. I'll be getting back in contact with the police and give them what we have, but from what people are saying he is already known and is being investigated. (Social Media is kinda scary fast!)

Excellent news! Now please do the world a favour and press for maximum justice - he's going to struggle to deny it, possibly for the first time. But he clearly needs the message hammering home.

Either that or post his name and address here! They'll never know which one of us did it to him ;-)

[Note for the humourless: that last line wasn't serious!]

• Funny
Reactions: Jez013
I am extremely gutted with the situation but the strangest thing had to have been, that, watching the video of it happen had a really calming effect on me. I ran through a load of scenarios in my mind about the motivation to send that sort of message, wondered a lot about whether I was being personally targeted.
The fact that Tesla's have this capability is brilliant, if I brought any other brand new car and parked it in the same spot at the same time it would probably be vandalised and I would have no idea why and I'd probably feel like a victim. With this footage, it is really obvious that this was not a personal attack or anything, just some hole lashing out at whoever he can.
Sorry to see this happened to you, but totally agree on your points - and it definitely helps having some of the psychological impact lessened. My last 3 cars were all keyed, and not knowing the why or when or at least someone to be mad at, was pretty frustrating.

I'll definitely be aiming to use, but curious how low I can get power drain on the nights I can't charge.

As a fun aside, it does make me wonder what our cars will enable next... (From 5min28)

• Funny
Reactions: AMC7