Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hope it’s some horrifying *sugar* like Beiber or the Barney theme.

upload_2019-2-13_22-13-32.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-13_22-13-4.gif
    upload_2019-2-13_22-13-4.gif
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Funny
Reactions: MXWing and Pkmmte
I wonder how exactly it's supposed to detect "severe threats" (like a breaking window)? If it can be done reliably in software using the existing sensors, why did they introduce the hardware-based enhanced anti-theft system for the Model S/X?

Because the hardware version is always on when you lock the car vs. you having to turn it on each time. (Probably because of the extra battery necessary to keep the AP computer and cameras operating.)

Last edited:
Reactions: MXWing
Now if burglars smash the rear window and realizes that the car has sentry mode, they'll also smash the front window to retrieve the video evidence on the USB drive. :eek:

Makes designing my biting rover robot easier.

Just stash the rover robot under the car, and when the alarm music sounds it will quickly roll out and bite the thief.

OK, what's the best music to play:

1) "Help!" by the Beatles
2) "Keep a knockin' but you can't come in" by Little Richard
3) Mozart's Requiem (for the repose of the burglars)

If you really want to grab people’s attention in the parking lot it should play something like “Violation” by Fleshgod Apocalypse :D

“Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature..”
Sounds like, we will need to reenable each time to activate it as it would default back to an off status.

Hope it doesn’t drain too much battery; example leaving the car at the airport for a few days with it being on.
Hope app will have the option to turn off/ on as well.

Another wish is the ability to view the cameras remotely. Likely won’t happen due to bandwidth/ cost to Tesla.

Still happy getting it for free.

• Love
Reactions: 1375mlm
why not just honk the horn? it will be much more audible than playing music at the max volume.

It will honk the horn as part of the car alarm. The music blasting is in addition to the car alarm. From Tesla post on this Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla:

If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alarm” state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car’s audio system.

"Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature"

That kinda sucks.. I just want the feature enabled all the time.

Well maybe not all of the time. I wouldn’t need it when my car is parked in my garage or driveway. As others have speculated there’s probably a decent range hit when enabling sentry mode, so Tesla likely doesn’t want it to default to “on” and deal with all of the people complaining about lost range. Regardless, I think they should give you the option of having it activate automatically with some sort of warning prompt about reduced range as a result. I also like the idea of being able to enable it from the app as others here have suggested.

You still would have to pay for the broken window wouldn't you? And the thief would have likely got away
Yes, but this feature is free, unlike the $350 Enhanced Anti-Theft system. Nothing is foolproof. It's up to you to decide whether or not it's worthwhile for you to use. Maybe not initially, but hopefully over time, Tesla vehicles will gain a reputation among smash-and-grab thieves as being annoying to target. The last thing they want is to draw attention to their activities, especially if they're planning to hit multiple vehicles in a parking lot.

Last edited: