Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You sound like my mom. This isn't the 70s, modern speaker systems don't let you turn the volume system higher than they are designed to handle.
Easy there bucko, that’s my era. I’m used to the good ole sound systems of the 70’s and 80’s with huge amps and massive amounts of wattage that would obliterate any speaker at max volume. Ask your mom, she can probably relate to what I’m saying. And btw, yes I’m fairly adapt at new tech, I can work an iPad, and even know how to text.;)

I hope the engineers use some common sense this time and have options for Sentry and the Dash cam. The dash cam alone increases drain as it records when the car is parked. I hope they disable that feature and replace it with sentry mode this way the dash cam will only record when driving and eliminate parking drain and the sentry mode can take over to be selectable. I know some people think parasitic drain is not a big deal but when you consider even 1kWh per day that's an insane waste of energy per year. The secondary systems that support cams are wasteful and can be better optimized. Separating the functions of the two systems solves several issues, I sometimes turn off the dash cam but forget to turn it back on.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Kinda surprised so many people are worried about the USB. The thieves breaking into cars have been targeting the rear and trunk area. A lot of people are assuming thieves are going to go directly for the USB knowing its the recording device (would be surprised if half even knew the car was recording them) ... Even if they break in and rummage through the center console, most thieves look for things they can resell and I don't see most grabbing a USB drive. Just my 2 cents, I've had my fair share of break-ins while in college.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
You sound like my mom. This isn't the 70s, modern speaker systems don't let you turn the volume system higher than they are designed to handle.

@C141medic might be your dad then. ;)

Ask your mom if there was one “that got away”
the medic with a fat stereo.

I’m careful on sleighting elder statesman as we all be there someday. But never chill mode for me. I’ll be pissed if my electric hearse has it running.

Tesla-Sentry-mode-HAL.jpg

I would assume so. My guess is that vampire drain is the reason you have to arm the system each time as opposed to having sentry mode be always on when locked. It probably prevents the car from sleeping and the AP computer probably needs to be running as well.

I hope they add an update to the mobile app to arm sentry mode remotely.

On top of increased battery drain, I also suspect Tesla makes you enable it each time due to laws or privacy concerns. If there is some sort of lawsuit regarding the dash cam, they can claim that the user made the decision to enable it at that time.

Reactions: israndy
Kinda surprised so many people are worried about the USB. The thieves breaking into cars have been targeting the rear and trunk area. A lot of people are assuming thieves are going to go directly for the USB knowing its the recording device (would be surprised if half even knew the car was recording them) ... Even if they break in and rummage through the center console, most thieves look for things they can resell and I don't see most grabbing a USB drive. Just my 2 cents, I've had my fair share of break-ins while in college.
Do you think they all are using the exact same procedure by chance...or is it possible they talk? If we assume they talk (I do), they will all know about the USB Avery quickly. Even faster if it leads to one of them being caught.

Do you think they all are using the exact same procedure by chance...or is it possible they talk? If we assume they talk (I do), they will all know about the USB Avery quickly. Even faster if it leads to one of them being caught.
I don't think people breaking into model 3s for loose change and misc items in the trunk to sell for cheap drugs/beer talk lol. This doesn't seem like an organized crime syndicate :D but hey I could be wrong.

Seems like if Sentry mode ever gets fully activated due to window breakage or (?) Telsa just ought to stream the video file to the cloud so even if a thief steals the USB, there is a cloud version....That option would make taking the USB futile. While Tesla may not want to have the bandwidth and cloud storage for this, the number of full-fledged break-ins would be manageable. Plus, they could auto erase them after 1 week (or so), so you'd have to retrieve within that time frame.

This is for real.

It is 2019 right now, right? Yesterday I activated the plutonium fuel in my Tesla’s reactor chamber so getting confused on what point in time we’re at presently. Enjoying the humor.

Goes well with this ThinkGeek bluetooth speakerphone I bought years ago for fun. I love Sentry Mode, just like my Romance Mode upgrade, although I’m waiting to see how effective it will be in decreasing break ins in this area. That I would love even more.

4DFDA8AF-B864-4E44-BDF3-89FB96CE5B65.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod