Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have it partitioned for dashcam and music? I might spring for one of these monster ones if I can easily do that.

Nope--I keep 2 separate USB drives, 1 in each USB port. MP3 music (32 GB) and the TeslaCam. To power my devices (Nomad, etc) I have a 4 port Anker 12v cigarette lighter to USB adapter installed under the phone tray flip up door on the center console on my P3D+.

Reactions: davedavedave
So parking at work today with front of the car facing the parking lot road, I got 10 incidents in about 10 hours. I lost 11 miles while parked. My 16 GB USB Drive (actual usable 14.2 GB) was over 11 GB full. The recentClips folder contains 177 of 1 minute files (front, left, right). I think it is supposed to be 180 (3 x 60 min) but somehow 1 min (3 files) are missing. The savedClips folder contains 10 folders (10 incidents). Total size is 6GB. It is not 10GB because some of those incidents happened within 10 min of each others so some incidents have less files. All of them were people walk past the front of my car. The last incident was me coming back to the car (on the left camera). So if you activated Sentry Mode, you are going to have at least 1 incident saved (about 1 GB) of yourself coming back to the car. Unless you disable Sentry Mode on the phone first.

When it detects an incident (someone walked within 2 feet of your front or side), It saved that min of video and the previous 10 minutes. The incident usually occurs in the newest full 1 min files (set of 3) within the incident folder.

The problem with this huge amount of data is that it relies on you noticing that your car was damaged. Unless you do a full walk-around every time you come back to it, there is a good chance that by the time you spot any damage the footage will have been erased. At best it will be a pain in the arse to find.

Most parking mode dashcams have features like an accelerometer to detect bumps, so they don't record too much random stuff.

It's a tricky problem because you don't want to miss events, and when an event happens you want to capture enough video to identify the perp. Often that means recording for several minutes afterwards to capture them driving away so you can see their licence plate.

I wonder if Tesla can train their AI to recognize damage, and how much more range that is going to sap.

I would like to see them change the save behavior to, say, 2 minutes before the incident minute, and 1 minute after. 10 minutes before seems excessive, and unnecessarily fills the drive. My 8GB drive filled up and faulted with 1 hour of historical data, plus 5 incident saves. Done, grey x.

I would like to see them change the save behavior to, say, 2 minutes before the incident minute, and 1 minute after. 10 minutes before seems excessive, and unnecessarily fills the drive. My 8GB drive filled up and faulted with 1 hour of historical data, plus 5 incident saves. Done, grey x.

I think the "incident" recording will keep going until the person left the detection area. So if he/she stay there for 5 minutes, you will probably get 15 minutes of recordings in the folder. That's just my guess, I have not tried it. As for saving the previous 10 min, I think they are doing it because that's how the dashcam operates. Basically instead of you hitting the screen to save, the detection software does the saving. And the software will keep hitting "save" every minute until the person leaves the area.

The problem with this huge amount of data is that it relies on you noticing that your car was damaged. Unless you do a full walk-around every time you come back to it, there is a good chance that by the time you spot any damage the footage will have been erased.
Does anyone know how long sentry video files are kept? I know for the dashcam, they are only kept for 1 hour.

Does anyone know how long sentry video files are kept? I know for the dashcam, they are only kept for 1 hour.

Until you delete them. They are auto moved into a saved folder. I have not tried saving damcam yet since I got the update, but I think maybe it is going to do the same with dashcam? Move them into a folder instead of just renaming them. I will try it tonight.

Until you delete them. They are auto moved into a saved folder. I have not tried saving damcam yet since I got the update, but I think maybe it is going to do the same with dashcam? Move them into a folder instead of just renaming them. I will try it tonight.
I wished the files would be recorded over after a day. With the way it works now, I will need to connect my usb drive to my computer and delete the files on a weekly basis.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Has anyone tried this USB Flash drive? It seems like it could be a good option for the dashcam/sentry mode since it uses MLC NAND flash memory that I understand should make it more reliable with the frequent writing to the drive. Only issue seems to be that it is $$ compared to similar capacity drives.

Transcend 128GB JetFlash 780 USB 3.0 Flash Drive

More like $$$.. as it is about 3X the price of any other 3.0 or 3.1 128GB flash drive!

Reactions: ConcordeSST
At least with the nintendo switch, if you format your SD card
Has anyone tried this USB Flash drive? It seems like it could be a good option for the dashcam/sentry mode since it uses MLC NAND flash memory that I understand should make it more reliable with the frequent writing to the drive. Only issue seems to be that it is $$ compared to similar capacity drives.

Honestly for that money, spend a little more and get a Crucial 1tb SSD and SSD to usb 3.0 adapter. Because TeslaCam/sentry mode never overwrites files, you will find yourself having to wipe a 128gb drive more and more depending how often you use sentry mode. Per other users, 1 event of 10 minutes writes about 1gb of data. If youre in a crowded parking lot and park for 8 hours, you will fill up your drive really quickly.

The way TeslaCam/Sentry mode handles the saving and writing is pretty ridiculous. I don't need the past 10 minutes once an event occurs. It should be, at most, 1 minute before event, and 1 minute after event. Honestly the 5 seconds before an event and 1 minute after of my blackvue is sufficient enough

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Anyone else seeing this in their Model 3? Had sentry on. Got in the car and Hal wouldn't go away. Had to do a reboot to clear the screen, I mean, I like 2001 as much as the next Kubrick fan but...

Attachments

• 2019-02-26 09.38.36.jpg
    2019-02-26 09.38.36.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 72
You can't format it using the default Windows format tool, but you could use command line to format the drive if you have Windows 10. Or you could download a tool. Lots of people here were using 256GB flash drive for dashcam already.

I just followed someone's advice from another thread and ordered a micro-SD card that is designed for constant re-writing and a USB 3.0 adapter to house it in. For 128GB card + adapter it's maybe $30.