Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw an article that Sentry Mode for Model S has started rolling out with upgrade dash cam feature. It also said this feature is available for cars built after Aug 2017 since they have Autopilot 2+ hardware. I thought all cars built after March 2017 had the hardware. How can I tell if the Model S I bought in 2017 will get this upgrade? My SERIAL # 202588.

Yes....Elon's statement of "all EAP" and "HW2+" has certainly turned in to a HUGE letdown for all of us with EAP HW2.0 My only hope now is that...maybe....my HW3 FSD upgrade will put me in the camp of HW2+ for this and future upgrades. My pessimistic side says there is more to it than the AP chip and we probably won't see the software enhancements that have separated HW2.0 and higher. smh smh smh

Just saw an article that Sentry Mode for Model S has started rolling out with upgrade dash cam feature. It also said this feature is available for cars built after Aug 2017 since they have Autopilot 2+ hardware. I thought all cars built after March 2017 had the hardware. How can I tell if the Model S I bought in 2017 will get this upgrade? My SERIAL # 202588.
AP2.5 didn't come out until August 2017.

You might be confusing AP2.5 hardware with MCU2 which came out in March 2018.

Reactions: JohnnyG
I think AP 2.0 is just not fast enough for dash cam. Didn't they add a secondary board for extra processing power in AP 2.5? I don't know why don't just say it out loud in the release note AP 2.5 only instead of saying August 2017 or put in ().... August 2017 (AP 2.5 or higher).

Reactions: ironwaffle
I think AP 2.0 is just not fast enough for dash cam. Didn't they add a secondary board for extra processing power in AP 2.5? I don't know why don't just say it out loud in the release note AP 2.5 only instead of saying August 2017 or put in ().... August 2017 (AP 2.5 or higher).
Most people probably have no idea of what AP hardware they have. They can all easily find the date of manufacture for their car.

Reactions: Fobble
Its the extra "redundant" Parker chip in the AP2.5 vs. AP2.0. They said it was a nothing improvement between 2.0 and 2.5. They even put a press release saying it would result in no meaningful differences between 2.0 and 2.5 owners. Just more lies.

https://electrek.co/2017/08/09/tesla-autopilot-2-5-hardware-computer-autonomous-driving/

The good news, perhaps, is that I don't see why swapping the 2.0 board for 3.0 won't give those features. Afterall, its not like 2.5 owners are going to lose features to get FSD...

Regardless, Elon definitely lied when he said everyone with EAP would get sentry mode. He even responded to a tweet seeking clarification to confirm that.

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot"

There is no ambiguity. That is a lie because the only other alternative is ignorance which we know Elon is not blessed to possess.

I don't know why don't just say it out loud in the release note AP 2.5 only instead of saying August 2017 or put in ().... August 2017 (AP 2.5 or higher).
Because they’ve been trying to sweep the underpowered original AP2 computer under the rug since the moment it was released and have zero desire to inform people of the actual differences. This started immediately with a statement saying the extra processor in 2.5 was for “redundancy”, which we can now see was an obvious deception.

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot"

There is no ambiguity. That is a lie because the only other alternative is ignorance which we know Elon is not blessed to possess.
As George Costanza said, "It's not a lie if you believe it."

It's possible Elon doesn't know about every hardware change and wasn't fully briefed on what version of hardware was required for Sentry Mode. He might've incorrectly been told that it would work with all Enhanced Autopilot cars. To the best of his knowledge, he could've been stating what he believed to be true. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hopefully in the future, he will confirm with employees who know the facts before making such announcements.

I personally own 2 Model S: 2015 85D and 2017 100D. When I bought my first one in 2015, I was told it will have upgrade coming for full autonomy and I could pay extra $3000 for that. I decided not to pay extra $3000. Then in 2017 he announced they are changing their CPU supplier from Mobile Eye to Nvidia and adding more hardware to achieve that. I lost out on my 2015 85D, decided to buy 2017 100D for my wife. I bought my 2017 100D as a demo in Dec 2017 and I was not told new AP2.5 was already out which this car did not have. They told me about the other differences. Now, I lost out on that too. I have also convinced 6 of my immediate family members to buy Model S and X, they also lost. Some of my family members were saying to wait until all the kinks are worked out, I guess we should have listened to them. Family members who bought Model 3 (4 of them) are OK for now until something else gets changed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
As George Costanza said, "It's not a lie if you believe it."

It's possible Elon doesn't know about every hardware change and wasn't fully briefed on what version of hardware was required for Sentry Mode. He might've incorrectly been told that it would work with all Enhanced Autopilot cars. To the best of his knowledge, he could've been stating what he believed to be true. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Hopefully in the future, he will confirm with employees who know the facts before making such announcements.

I originally thought this but Elon's conduct is repeated. He is reckless with his statements and as a CEO and face of a publicly traded company, that kind of willful blindness is unacceptable. Tesla itself makes few announcements and tells owners to read Elon's tweets. Most of them learn stuff that way too. Its insane!

A suggestion to HOLD YOUR RANCOR, everyone.

There are a significant number of posts suggesting that those of us who have HW2.0 vehicles - I am included in that - will not be receiving the newly-announced Sentry & Doggy modes. The rancor extends to "Elon l*es", etc.

We do not yet know one way or the other if this is so. We do not know whether there are workarounds that either involve further using the 2.0 platform, whether the upgrade to 2.5 or 3.0 will be provided to 2.0 owners, whether such will or will not be made available to those who prepurchased the FSD option...

...none of this is known. I strongly suspect we will know more before the end of March.

A little more to consider:

OTA upgrades are great. We have come to expect them. I am one who gets put off when a fun but frivolous upgrade occurs in advance of one with utility: my malamutes would rather receive air conditioning than a picture of a crackling fireplace, for example. BUT WE DIDN'T purchase our vehicles with those features promised as upcoming. Yes, FSD is the great big exception to this - for those of us who purchased it. But there has developed an aura of "This is unfair because I no longer have the bestest Tesla out there!" which is, if you stop and think rationally for a nanosecond, a truly ridiculous mentality; one that is utterly unfair to Tesla.

Mr Musk may - or may not - be culpable in his overeager tweeting (those of you who follow my regularly scheduled programming know I despise Twitter and the culture it has promulgated, but let's leave that aside). Regardless, in all this I am reminded of a giant in another field, now relegated to a back page of history, unfortunately for all.

The greatest of his era and possibly the greatest bullfighter of all time was Manolete. Manuel Loreano Rodríguez Sánchez (1917-1947). He enraptured the crowd with his pasa manoletina, wherein he would stand closer to the bull than anyone before or since has dared, just prior to the kill.

But human nature being human nature and crowds being crowds, they demanded more. More. Always More. As he lay dying from the goring he took just one month after his 30th birthday, he said "But I had nothing more to give. So I gave them my life."

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Tesla seems to be segregating the Sentry feature from the new triple camera dash cam. Could the misunderstanding be that a 2.0 car can still identify and alarm to security threats but won't have the ability to do the three camera (or any) dash cam? I guess we'll know as soon as it starts rolling out wide and we get feedback about it from actual AP 2.0 owners.

A suggestion to HOLD YOUR RANCOR, everyone.

There are a significant number of posts suggesting that those of us who have HW2.0 vehicles - I am included in that - will not be receiving the newly-announced Sentry & Doggy modes. The rancor extends to "Elon l*es", etc.

We do not yet know one way or the other if this is so. We do not know whether there are workarounds that either involve further using the 2.0 platform, whether the upgrade to 2.5 or 3.0 will be provided to 2.0 owners, whether such will or will not be made available to those who prepurchased the FSD option...

...none of this is known. I strongly suspect we will know more before the end of March.

A little more to consider:

OTA upgrades are great. We have come to expect them. I am one who gets put off when a fun but frivolous upgrade occurs in advance of one with utility: my malamutes would rather receive air conditioning than a picture of a crackling fireplace, for example. BUT WE DIDN'T purchase our vehicles with those features promised as upcoming. Yes, FSD is the great big exception to this - for those of us who purchased it. But there has developed an aura of "This is unfair because I no longer have the bestest Tesla out there!" which is, if you stop and think rationally for a nanosecond, a truly ridiculous mentality; one that is utterly unfair to Tesla.

Mr Musk may - or may not - be culpable in his overeager tweeting (those of you who follow my regularly scheduled programming know I despise Twitter and the culture it has promulgated, but let's leave that aside). Regardless, in all this I am reminded of a giant in another field, now relegated to a back page of history, unfortunately for all.

The greatest of his era and possibly the greatest bullfighter of all time was Manolete. Manuel Loreano Rodríguez Sánchez (1917-1947). He enraptured the crowd with his pasa manoletina, wherein he would stand closer to the bull than anyone before or since has dared, just prior to the kill.

But human nature being human nature and crowds being crowds, they demanded more. More. Always More. As he lay dying from the goring he took just one month after his 30th birthday, he said "But I had nothing more to give. So I gave them my life."

Be careful what you wish for.
It’s more than crystal clear you are wrong in your assumption:

Sentry Mode: Guarding Your Tesla

9AB96E8C-C7FD-41EA-B13D-F65D28345C89.jpeg