Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are right then that would suggest that even with the HW3.0 processor upgrade there would still be a problem...
You are correct, unfortunately....

How do you know that? Can you give us proof so that we can set our minds at peace?
I see a lot of feelings and speculation here, but not many facts.
It would be nice if (when stating something) people could come with proof, you probably don't realize but what is written here gets read by a fairly large audience.
What I have stated is fact, based on actual hands-on research by some of the most brilliant minds here on TMC. I have reposted their work before in other threads here on TMC. If you search in the technical threads here on TMC, you'll find all of this information.

The cameras on HW2 (AP2.0) are RCCC and not calibrated for viewing by humans, but for processing by AP. The cameras used on HW2.5 (AP2.5) are RGGB and usably viewable by humans. If I get a moment, I'll do the search myself here on TMC and repost the links.

Reactions: MIT_S60
Here's a couple quotes from the thread when the Dashcam was announced.....
This is in reference to images taken from the HW2.0 car cameras that they tried to clean-up as best as possible to make somewhat viewable by the human eye.

Here's some sample shots.... #46

That thread has gobs of information in it. It's a good read from start to finish. Keep in mind, a lot of the sample shots in this thread have been (attempted to be) enhanced, to try to add color or correct white balance, or adjust exposure.

Those images had been heavily processed, merged, de-warped, etc. I believe verygreen listed his tools within that thread.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's very unlikely, and I wouldn't get people's hopes up based on it. The original system was tuned specifically for driver assistance, and not human viewing. It would require a lot more processing of the original PX2 system to make it viewable for humans; and then it would be monochrome only. You couldn't identify whether it was a blue Ford Focus or a silver Ford Focus that hit you and ran. Was the perp wearing a gray hoodie, or a green hoodie? Etc, etc...

Trust me, I understand having the previous version and really really wishing somehow my hardware can do what the newest hardware can do. Heck, with this company, I just wish that all of my hardware would do what the CEO originally claimed it would do: but that's a whole different thread. ;-)

If you are right then that would suggest that even with the HW3.0 processor upgrade there would still be a problem...

Unless processor upgrade includes camera upgrade as well - we don’t know at this point but one would expect to get full functionality after the upgrade.

Not all is lost for v2.0 with RCCC cameras because conversion to grayscale is not cpu intensive. Also, Tesla could save data in RAW RCCC and you could convert it to other formats on a PC.

Last edited:
Is there no way that the new cameras can simply be swapped for the AP2.0 vehicles at the SC as an upgrade assuming the wiring looms are the same with the same compatible connectors. This also assuming the HW3 upgrade for those who purchased the FSD option when it was available which will hopefully be available in the summer, maybe? Perhaps i'm being just optimistic about such a possibility.

This also assuming the HW3 upgrade for those who purchased the FSD option when it was available which will hopefully be available in the summer, maybe? Perhaps i'm being just optimistic about such a possibility.

There is more than enough latitude in the 'promise' about the 'free upgrade' to have it delayed until there is actually a feature released under the FSD heading that cannot be delivered on pre-HW3.0...

I am not yet 1 year into my 4 year lease, but I'm not expecting to get this free upgrade during the time I have remaining on this car...

These updates are just a Carrot....Tesla has a heck of a business model. They understand their customer base really well. They put out these updates knowing that most people have a huge investment and rather than throw it all away and buy new they will be willing to spend 5k to update their hardware for car catch up. This is really instant cash for Tesla, 2k in hardware and they make huge profits. BIO defense is the first one, 150 dollars for a filter and a quick software update, that's 350 dollars worth of profit. Once enough software perks won't work with HW2.0 many here will spend the 5k for the HW update and they will have an almost new car.

I wish there was a setting for Sentry Mode to not show that it has been triggered.

This is typical for people who slam their door into your side in the parking lot, and will be reminded to cover their tracks when leaving. "Music is playing and screen is showing the text, better stealth my way out of here."
Same with shopping carts and people brushing their fashionable purse full of metal spikes along your car's side.

hello, i am new to this forum but i have a 2014 model S. eventually the word will get out regarding sentry mode, so a potential thief would now be able to discern which cars have sentry mode by walking by the car and looking at the screen. i think it would make more sense to give all tesla cars sentry mode where when activated, the screen will always display "this is in sentry mode and you are being recorded." if your vehicle does actually have the right hardware it can record the potential thief. if your car (like mine) does not have the hardware, at least there is a visual deterrent on the screen to the potential thief.

hello, i am new to this forum but i have a 2014 model S. eventually the word will get out regarding sentry mode, so a potential thief would now be able to discern which cars have sentry mode by walking by the car and looking at the screen. i think it would make more sense to give all tesla cars sentry mode where when activated, the screen will always display "this is in sentry mode and you are being recorded." if your vehicle does actually have the right hardware it can record the potential thief. if your car (like mine) does not have the hardware, at least there is a visual deterrent on the screen to the potential thief.
I totally get this. But I think it’s a bad idea for the car to masquerade as something it’s not. Maybe a third option is viable: allow all cars to do the Bach bit, and leave video recording to the cars equipped to do it properly. Or offer a device to lock the rear seats (as others have done vi 3D printed latches).

Or offer a device to lock the rear seats (as others have done vi 3D printed latches).

Problem with this approach is that it still gets your window broken. The thief isn't going to know that you have the locks on the rear seat until they break the window and try the latch. Unless Tesla starts making these locks and issues a recall to install them, only a very small minority of cars will have them, so it will remain productive to keep breaking the window and flipping the seat.
I have two car seats in the back, so I have a very visible deterrent to this type of attack.

Reactions: eager0
Problem with this approach is that it still gets your window broken. The thief isn't going to know that you have the locks on the rear seat until they break the window and try the latch. Unless Tesla starts making these locks and issues a recall to install them, only a very small minority of cars will have them, so it will remain productive to keep breaking the window and flipping the seat.
I have two car seats in the back, so I have a very visible deterrent to this type of attack.

I’ve seen multiple security videos and the thief always takes a peek before breaking the rear window... so if they see the orange 3D seat block they’ll probably treat same way as folding seat down...

• Informative
Reactions: eager0