Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed 2020.12.5, and they have deprecated the Ext4 support :(, pity, it worked more reliably than FAT*

That's pretty poor.

I've been running Ext4 for the videos and FAT for music. The only problem I've had is that when I start the car there is sometimes (1 in 10 trips) an error that the drive is corrupt. I just take the USB cable out and put it back in again and all is good.

Today I tried to download 2020.12.5, but after it finished downloading nothing happened. I went to check the software version and it said "up to date." Perhaps I dodged a bullet :).

@MNoICE618 what actually happens after the update? Does it show an informative error telling you to reformat the drive?

[QUOTE="louco73, post: 4629512, member: @MNoICE618 what actually happens after the update? Does it show an informative error telling you to reformat the drive?[/QUOTE]

hi, it only said no usable disk, or something to that effect.

oddly it would still let me review and play the extant videos on the drive. Alas pretty useless moving forward so I reformatted in f32,anon journaling fs, awaiting the next corruption

Sentry mode: The manual says the dashcam only works with USBs formatted to FAT32 - which limits them to 32Gb or so. Yet people regularly advise using SSDs with hundreds of Gb - these cannot be formatted by Windows to FAT32.
This won't help you, but I have a Mac and the inbuilt Disk Utility partitioned and formatted my 256 GB Samsung SSD with FAT32 no problem at all. As others have posted, Windows seems to require a third-party solution.
I’ve read that teslaCam should be on its unique USB.
Yes, music should be stored on a separate partition if on the same physical storage device. Or use a separate device.

I partitioned my Samsung SSD into three - one for DashCam, one for Music, and one for Videos, in the hope that Tesla one day provides an inbuilt media player that can play stored videos when parked. One day...

This won't help you, but I have a Mac and the inbuilt Disk Utility partitioned and formatted my 256 GB Samsung SSD with FAT32 no problem at all. As others have posted, Windows seems to require a third-party solution.

Yes, music should be stored on a separate partition if on the same physical storage device. Or use a separate device.

I partitioned my Samsung SSD into three - one for DashCam, one for Music, and one for Videos, in the hope that Tesla one day provides an inbuilt media player that can play stored videos when parked. One day...

Unless you want to watch a friends wedding or something in this new age of 4 person gatherings, why would you save video’s for your car. You can watch anything that is online? In any case don’t you Sydney siders need a good reason to be out? Does being parked on the side of the road watching a video in my car because I can, count? Do you ask the nice police person to wait until the video is finished?

Unless you want to watch a friends wedding or something in this new age of 4 person gatherings, why would you save video’s for your car. You can watch anything that is online?
Exactly - you can only watch stuff that is online. Streaming service support in the car is very limited (Netflix and YouTube). And if/when premium data expires, you are stuffed unless you cough up the dosh for it (which I might do, don’t know yet).

There is also heaps of stuff that is not on any of the streaming services. So if what you want to watch is not on one of the streaming services supported in the car, or you are not in cellular coverage, or don’t have premium data, yeah, it would be nice to be able to watch videos stored on your SSD while the car is charging and there’s nothing else to do.

Now that Tesla have built a video player to play Sentry videos, it’s only a short jump to make that available for other stored content. Elon did say last year that a Media Player was on the to-do list, so I expect it in the next few months.

Exactly - you can only watch stuff that is online. Streaming service support in the car is very limited (Netflix and YouTube). And if/when premium data expires, you are stuffed unless you cough up the dosh for it (which I might do, don’t know yet).

There is also heaps of stuff that is not on any of the streaming services. So if what you want to watch is not on one of the streaming services supported in the car, or you are not in cellular coverage, or don’t have premium data, yeah, it would be nice to be able to watch videos stored on your SSD while the car is charging and there’s nothing else to do.

Now that Tesla have built a video player to play Sentry videos, it’s only a short jump to make that available for other stored content. Elon did say last year that a Media Player was on the to-do list, so I expect it in the next few months.
I’ve watched F1 on netflix and live on kayo. I jumped in the daughters expensive fossil car to watch a home video......but no screen