Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to sentry mode. I noticed when enabling the sentry mode on the touch screen under safety and security, it states " will automatically be activated upon parking and leaving the car." When this is enabled, I noticed when leaving the car that my security mode on my phone is not activated nor is the little red light activated on the touch screen. So in other words, is sentry mode recording once I enable via the touch screen and leave the car? Do I have to even bother to manually turn on sentry mode from my Tesla App? I noticed other threads indicate you have to manually turn on sentry mode each and every time. Sorry this is so long but I'm a little confused.

New to sentry mode. I noticed when enabling the sentry mode on the touch screen under safety and security, it states " will automatically be activated upon parking and leaving the car." When this is enabled, I noticed when leaving the car that my security mode on my phone is not activated nor is the little red light activated on the touch screen. So in other words, is sentry mode recording once I enable via the touch screen and leave the car? Do I have to even bother to manually turn on sentry mode from my Tesla App? I noticed other threads indicate you have to manually turn on sentry mode each and every time. Sorry this is so long but I'm a little confused.
Check to see if you have excluded Sentry mode at your home & work locations. If excluded, it wont turn on sentry mode at these places.
When turned on, the app should show as per the screenshots below.
IMG_9545 - Sentry Mode turned off
IMG_9546 - Sentry Mode Turned on

You don't need to manually turn on sentry mode. It should turn on automatically upon exiting and locking your vehicle.
The touch screen in your car will show the red dot and say recording only when a sentry event is detected. It might also flash the lights for a brief second to get the attention of who ever is near the car.

Attachments

• IMG_9545.jpg
    IMG_9545.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_9546.jpg
    IMG_9546.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 161
Upvote 0
Check to see if you have excluded Sentry mode at your home & work locations. If excluded, it wont turn on sentry mode at these places.
When turned on, the app should show as per the screenshots below.
IMG_9545 - Sentry Mode turned off
IMG_9546 - Sentry Mode Turned on

You don't need to manually turn on sentry mode. It should turn on automatically upon exiting and locking your vehicle.
The touch screen in your car will show the red dot and say recording only when a sentry event is detected. It might also flash the lights for a brief second to get the attention of who ever is near the car.
Thanks Geo...just one other follow up...if the sentry mode is only enabled from the touch screen and not from the app and no activity is recorded , the I assume the battery is in use during this time....even if no activity is detected?

Reactions: Tomc62 and GeoG
Upvote 0
Thanks Geo...just one other follow up...if the sentry mode is only enabled from the touch screen and not from the app and no activity is recorded , the I assume the battery is in use during this time....even if no activity is detected?
Yes. Sentry uses battery. The car never sleeps. It is not a good idea to turn sentry on and park in a parking garage if you going to be gone for a long time.

Upvote 0
If Sentry Mode is enabled, it activates as soon as you shift into park, whether or not you get out of the car and lock it. When you get back in the car, Sentry Mode remains active until you shift out of park or turn it off.

Recording video uses very little power, but Sentry Mode uses the AP computer to process video from all the cameras looking for threats, and that’s what drains the battery. You’ll lose about a mile of range per hour while Sentry Mode is enabled.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
I have noticed that it will use more power if its in a busy environment - but you usually end up with a whole bunch of records as well.
Sanity Tip
resist the temptation to slavishly watch every sentry video of "events" - most of the time its people walking past or cars driving past.
My method now is when I get back to my car I give it a look around to look for dings etc to see it there's anything that would make me watch the videos.
Otherwise you'll spend hours watching videos of the scene around your car.
But - you could see stuff like this if you do watch them :D

• Funny
Reactions: GeoG
Upvote 0
I just picked up delivery of my 2022 M3LR yesterday! Both my app and car seem up to date, yet neither are giving me the option to view the live camera for sentry mode...it's very frustrating because i'm not sure why the option to "view live camera" is not even appearing. I have ios and everything is up to date..

Upvote 0
I just picked up delivery of my 2022 M3LR yesterday! Both my app and car seem up to date, yet neither are giving me the option to view the live camera for sentry mode...it's very frustrating because i'm not sure why the option to "view live camera" is not even appearing. I have ios and everything is up to date..

Welcome!

What's the indicated version of your car OS and iOS app?

(Car version at the bottom of the main app screen, app version under the "Account" menu / top right navigation).

Oh, and I have not been (this is not uncommon) getting app updates under App Store >> Account, I have been searching for the Tesla app, opening the app page, and from there I've been getting the UPDATE option.

Reactions: Phlier
Upvote 0
Welcome!

What's the indicated version of your car OS and iOS app?

(Car version at the bottom of the main app screen, app version under the "Account" menu / top right navigation).

Oh, and I have not been (this is not uncommon) getting app updates under App Store >> Account, I have been searching for the Tesla app, opening the app page, and from there I've been getting the UPDATE option.
my app version is 4.2.3-742
car version is v10.2

Upvote 0
my app version is 4.2.3-742
car version is v10.2
New cars don't come with the latest software version and you just have to be patient and wait for Tesla to push out an update for you. Not all cars get the updates at the same time. The car software version you listed is not the number we usually use to identify the version with more granularity. For example, my car does not have the update that enables live camera view yet, because I'm on the older version 2021.32.22. The software version is the year, week number, and revision.

You don't have the latest version of the Tesla app, which you need for the live camera viewing (I just got the newer version that enables that, 4.3.0-766). You will have to wait for this as well.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Upvote 0
New cars don't come with the latest software version and you just have to be patient and wait for Tesla to push out an update for you. Not all cars get the updates at the same time. The car software version you listed is not the number we usually use to identify the version with more granularity. For example, my car does not have the update that enables live camera view yet, because I'm on the older version 2021.32.22. The software version is the year, week number, and revision.

You don't have the latest version of the Tesla app, which you need for the live camera viewing (I just got the newer version that enables that, 4.3.0-766). You will have to wait for this as well.
Okay, so basically i'm going to get it, just simply wait for them to update it? You'd think that it being a 2022 model, it would come with everything up to date..
Thank you for the explanation.

Upvote 0
Okay, so basically i'm going to get it, just simply wait for them to update it? You'd think that it being a 2022 model, it would come with everything up to date..
Correct, just have to wait. All new Teslas don't come with the latest software. Presumably they use an older, more stable version that is less likely to have bugs. Some of the newer updates introduce bugs that they probably don't want new customers to experience.

Upvote 0
Just make sure your car is on WiFi where it's parked, and if you look in the software menu, there's STANDARD and ADVANCED, the latter is kind of like saying you're OK with beta/pre-release versions, so you get features a little quicker (with the obvious downside).

For the app, see above, you can "force" a version detect and get newer versions faster than you'll see them in the regular update section of the App Store.

FWIW, this incremental roll out type model is pretty common, we were an early buyer of a Wrangler 4xe (PHEV), but we got a major bug fix a couple of weeks after much later buyers (fixed disappearing backup lines on the display). Same for our main TV, there's an update that's been pushed out for weeks, but we don't have it yet (implements some HDMI 2.1, fixed 120Hz @ 4K for devices like a PS5, etc.)

Modern life is waiting for updates :D

Upvote 0
Tesla delivers their cars with a firmware (often the term "software" is used interchangeably) they refer to as "break-in firmware." This particular firmware branch can be identified by the last three digits of the firmware version being .1xx (three digits total that begins with a "1" although that might change to a "2" with the 2022 model year).

According to a Tesla SC Technician I talked to, Tesla uses this firmware for various reasons.

First, they use it to monitor "certain vehicle systems" to make sure they "stay within expected parameters" during initial usage.

Second, because Tesla is constantly changing parts (both due to availability and replacing obsolete parts), they have to write new code each time new parts are used that aren't compatible with already existing code. Code that supports new parts is immediately put into the break-in firmware branch, and will eventually be propagated to the main stream firmware branch.

There is/are a trigger(s) that will determine when your car will get it's first update to the mainstream firmware branch. We don't know what those triggers are, and the tech I talked to either didn't know, or wouldn't tell me. It could be time based, mileage based, or the position of the Sun and Venus.

Also, the code to support the combination of parts used in your car needs to make it from the break-in firmware code branch to the mainstream code branch.

So there are two potential hurdles your car needs to clear before it gets an update to the mainstream firmware branch: 1. The trigger needs to trip, whether it be time, distance, or astrologically based. 2. The code for the parts used in your car needs to make it to the mainstream firmware branch.

Until those two conditions are met, you are stuck on the break-in firmware.

You may hear of guys getting firmware updates soon after they receive their cars, but in most instances, those guys are just getting an update to the latest break-in firmware, and are not getting the mainstream public firmware.

If a guy wanted to try and speed up the process, you could try driving the car a lot, in as many varied conditions as possible. This might speed up the process, but won't help one bit if the code to support your car doesn't yet exist in the latest public release firmware.

While you're waiting for your first update, enjoy your new ride! :)

Upvote 0
Sentry and rain.

Model 3.

When it’s raining, the sentry triggers every few minutes (flashes headlights and recording starts).

Totally unnecessary.

Does anyone recognize this behavior and is there a way to fine-tune this?
New to a Model 3 and last night I went out to the car to see it flashing lights every few minutes and HAL9000 fully awake. In my driveway. Temperature was low but not freezing and the cameras surrounds were warm to the touch. It wasn’t raining but had been, so I guess water drops were running over the cameras and triggering sentry. I decided to switch it off and ask if this is how it operates?

Heated cameras is a good idea, but no wonder sentry drains the battery, is there a way to turn ‘heated’ function off?

Reactions: GeoG
Upvote 0
sentry mode failed to automatically activate after last os update . vandal obviously noticed no lights flashing or on s reen message so they broke the window and rifled through center console compartments. and cam had also stopped recording at last os update so no video taken of vandal. damn. also realuzed thieves can simply remove usb stick effectively removing evidence. usb port stick should at least be located in trunk.

Upvote 0