Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry recording at home in spite of settings, + random triggers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all,

I have a 2020 that is quite new, and I recently put in an SD Card reader to allow for storage of videos.

As the title indicates, it doesn't work as I'd expect. I've tried turning it on and off (noting that turning it on again checks ALL the checkboxes again in settings and forces me to uncheck the ones I don't want), and I made sure that I have my address set as "home." But even so, it seems to be recording sentry events every 5-8 minutes or so inside my garage.

Is it possible soundproofing it messed with some sensor, so it's getting false triggers?

And even if that is the case, why is it ignoring the fact that it is home?

Thank you!

what i mean is , if you have easy mode enabled, that is sort of a "user setting " profile. so if you are in this setting and make changes to things, those changes will ONLY be activated when you are in easy mode. once you go into "grmdl3"'s mode, those changes you made whilst in easy mode will not show up.

this may not be what you are experiencing but i thought it woudl be worth a mention because i was having issues with settings not sticking until i found out that i woudl be in easy mode and not in my standard profile.

That does sound promising as far as "home" not being omitted from sampling, but I'm not understanding where the various modes/settings are accessed?

The other facet, though, strikes me as independent: sentry shouldn't trigger inside any garage unless there is movement, should it? But mine seems to.

i agree with your assessments. i am just wanting to make sure you are not in easy mode because that can have you scratching your head if you dont realize you are in that mode. you can see if you war in easy mode by looking at the top of screen a little past the center (around the sentry and dashcam icons) you should see either your name there or "easy mode".

I had the same problem. Have you driven the car since the latest update? I found that once i drove the car, the sentry mode behaved as expected leading me to believe that for whatever reason, after the update, the car didn’t realize it was home until it left and came back.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Jeffgtx, yes, I have driven a fair amount since the last update. That didn't seem to make a difference.

IUtrialNt, I seem to NOT be in easy mode, since I see my name in the place you indicated.

The only thing I can think of is that when I'm sitting in my garage, and do the sequence to navigate to "home," it somehow thinks I am 100' away from the current location. I.e., it has my location on the north side of my house. I live on a cross street corner, and that north side is not where my driveway is. Driveway is on the east side. So it wants me to drive east on the one street, turn right on my street, and then in 100' I'm home.

But all the while the cursor clearly shows me at the garage, not at the start of that track.

???

Reactions: lUtriaNt
ridiculous.jpg
I turned it on again today to try it out after the new software update. This is absurd. I'm at home, with the settings on "not at home," and nothing is going on in the garage.