Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Turning Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am running on 2019.40.59.7, LR AWD. Sentry is set to always be on, even at home when parked in my driveway. However, it seems like it is turning itself off at home. I have to manually set it in the app. This didn’t happen before the software updates.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Reactions: ZappCatt
I am running on 2019.40.59.7, LR AWD. Sentry is set to always be on, even at home when parked in my driveway. However, it seems like it is turning itself off at home. I have to manually set it in the app. This didn’t happen before the software updates.

Does anyone else have this issue?
This sounds like an issue I had. I started a thread about it, awhile back:

Sentry mode not triggering

If you have the same issue, we seem to be in the minority, as I haven’t found anyone else describing this particular problem.

What I discovered, was that the car was excluding my workplace, even though I had exclude work toggled off. But here’s the kicker:

I had exclude home toggled on, and exclude work and favorites toggled off. But whenever I would turn sentry mode off and then back on, it would revert to all three being toggled on, so even though it looked like sentry was on (the red Hal light showed at the top of the screen), sentry wasn’t actually turned on. I tested this by turning off Bluetooth on my phone, and waving my hand in front of the cameras, and it wouldn’t trigger.

Then it gets even weirder: I rebooted my car, and when I did this, and then turned sentry off and on, it now defaulted to a new configuration, where home and work were excluded, but favorites wasn’t. In fact, every time I rebooted, I would end up with a different configuration, and I had to reboot 5 or 6 times, until I got the exact combination I wanted, and then I re-tested it, and sentry was working again at my workplace.

Very bizarre, and now I’m afraid to reboot my car, for fear of scrambling my exclusions again.

To test to see if this is what you’re experiencing, go to your sentry mode settings and turn it off, and then back on again, and see if exclude home is checked. Uncheck it, then turn sentry off and on again, and if you have the same issue as me, exclude home will turn itself back on.

The very inelegant solution, is to reboot over and over, until you get the exclusions you are looking for (it sounds like you want them all unchecked). It may take a few times, but I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Here’s a quick video showing what happens when I turn sentry off and on. It reverts back to its “default” and manually overriding the exclusions is like a placebo, where the switch moves, but nothing actually happens (the state of sentry mode is always whatever the “default” is). The only way to adjust the default, is to reboot the car, and like a slot machine, hope your desired combination comes up. :eek:

I know it resets the exclusions on upgrade or Sentry off/on but this randomness is a new one. Have you tried a power off to see if does anything more than a reboot?

That definitely sounds like the software is borked and needs a deeper reboot of power off.

• Helpful
Reactions: fseir
I know it resets the exclusions on upgrade or Sentry off/on but this randomness is a new one. Have you tried a power off to see if does anything more than a reboot?

That definitely sounds like the software is borked and needs a deeper reboot of power off.
Hadn’t thought to try that. Since I got sentry back to the state that I wanted it in, I’ve been afraid to mess with it, and haven’t even manually rebooted since upgrading to 40.50.x. I know that eventually I’ll need to reboot for some reason or another, though, so if and when that happens, and it messes up my sentry mode again, I’ll try a complete power down and see what it does. If that fails, guess it will be a trip to the SC.

If nothing else, maybe HW 3.0 will resolve this issue.