Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry video assistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend while visiting my newly minted grandson, my Model 3 was rear swiped from behind while parked on the street. This happened on a Friday evening and I didn't get back to the car until Sunday afternoon. Thinking everything would be captured on SSD drive for the Sentry videos, I discovered there were hundreds of videos from over the weekend because of all the activity captured while street parking but the oldest of the videos was from early Saturday - all of the Friday videos were overwritten.

The videos are stored on a 64G SSD drive which I pulled to prevent any changes. I ran recovery software which found many more videos but none from Friday night :(

I replaced it with a higher capacity drive to hopefully avoid this issue in the future and to give me the opportunity to continue my recovery efforts. When I put the new drive back in the car I noticed that there was one short video stored in the car showing the incident but it is short, dark and it was raining so I can't clearly read the plates. I was able to download that clip but it is the only recorded event from that Friday night.

I'm not even sure what I would do if I saw the license plate clearly enough - do I reach out to the police? Will they even help?

Either way - I'm looking for some help to enhance the video. I would be ever so grateful if someone could perform some FBI type magic on these clips or at least point me in the right direction.

Below are two stills to show the quality of what I am working with...

1679109352532.png
1679109333733.png

Thanks in advance for any assistance
-Brian

That sucks! I was worried about using a small SSD in my car too, so I went with a 1TB (glad I did!).

I would personally file a police report, and provide them with what you have, it can't hurt. Since you do have some proof (even though images aren't clear) you should be in the clear fault wise with your insurance, but obviously deductible wise for repairs and what they will actually cover since it is a hit-and-run (if at all) is completely dependent on your policy. Perhaps you should get some quotes for the repair, then contemplate between paying out of pocket versus filing a claim. Contacting your insurance and asking for guidance if you aren't willing to pay out of pocket would be my next step after filing a report.

I tried enhancing the image with some online tools, but there is a unfortunate rain drop covering the left side of the plate when zoomed in so it's no use, and the tools I tried really aren't great.

Hope someone else on here can work some magic and get the plate number for you!

Upvote 1
I wasn't sure if I should post the full clips so I just posted stills to give an idea of the quality.

As for the drive, it was a 64G partition split along with another 64G for music. New drive is $240 with about 190G for TeslaCam so if 64G got me 1 day of clips, I should be good with 2-3 days, but mostly I know now to get to the car sooner if the alarm goes off.

I will certainly see what I need to do to file a police report for the record and I had planned to get a few estimates for the repair before I contacted insurance. Thanks for the partial plate - I couldn't even see that!

Thanks for the tips!

Anyway - here are the full clips. I wish the rear camera started a bit sooner; I didn't see the front of the car until it is almost on-top of mine...

2023-03-10_21-29-45-left_repeater.mp4
2023-03-10_21-29-45-front.mp4
2023-03-10_21-29-45-back.mp4

-Brian

Reactions: XPsionic
Upvote 0
I wasn't sure if I should post the full clips so I just posted stills to give an idea of the quality.

As for the drive, it was a 64G partition split along with another 64G for music. New drive is $240 with about 190G for TeslaCam so if 64G got me 1 day of clips, I should be good with 2-3 days, but mostly I know now to get to the car sooner if the alarm goes off.

I will certainly see what I need to do to file a police report for the record and I had planned to get a few estimates for the repair before I contacted insurance. Thanks for the partial plate - I couldn't even see that!

Thanks for the tips!

Anyway - here are the full clips. I wish the rear camera started a bit sooner; I didn't see the front of the car until it is almost on-top of mine...

2023-03-10_21-29-45-left_repeater
2023-03-10_21-29-45-front
2023-03-10_21-29-45-back

-Brian
Sorry -Links have been updated as I didn't post the videos as public...
-Brian

Upvote 0
Also looking for some Sentry help over here if anyone can help out:

Thank you!

Upvote 0