Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Viewer should be hidden while in Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sentry mode has worked with valet mode since at leearly Januaryast (first time I tried)... In a Model X...

And everyone that is saying to add password protection. Just remove the feature to browse/play in valet mode.

There's absolutely NOTHING stopping them from pulling the flash drive and using their phone (OTG) or a tablet/laptop or even a portable drive copier to copy the flash drive. If you think your valet is going to do that, either you're working for MI6, or need to find a new lot to park at. But adding security where none is needed is a waste if resources. If I can access the vehicle and the drive, I don't need a vehicle-based browser to waste my time trying to locate or find out something about someone.

The only real sentry security would be from the ability to have the drive be encrypted (remove from the car, can't read), but, again, waste of resources for something that was an after the fact addition to the vehicle. Having the vehicle run encryption on everything it reads/writes would be a massive drain.

My sentry mode has worked with valet mode since at leearly Januaryast (first time I tried)... In a Model X...

And everyone that is saying to add password protection. Just remove the feature to browse/play in valet mode.

There's absolutely NOTHING stopping them from pulling the flash drive and using their phone (OTG) or a tablet/laptop or even a portable drive copier to copy the flash drive. If you think your valet is going to do that, either you're working for MI6, or need to find a new lot to park at. But adding security where none is needed is a waste if resources. If I can access the vehicle and the drive, I don't need a vehicle-based browser to waste my time trying to locate or find out something about someone.

The only real sentry security would be from the ability to have the drive be encrypted (remove from the car, can't read), but, again, waste of resources for something that was an after the fact addition to the vehicle. Having the vehicle run encryption on everything it reads/writes would be a massive drain.

I would be fine with Tesla removing the ability to access the TeslaCam/Sentry viewer from within Valet mode.

This is essentially al what the OP is asking. I don't think anyone is asking for encrypting the drive. OP has a legitimate concern.

Valet Mode already protects personal information and removing the ability to browse Sentry and TeslaCam videos should be a part of that privacy protection. Of course, no one is claiming this is rock solid protection but for most usual cases, this would be sufficient and a common sense way to address OP's concerns.

Just keep it simple and remove access to TeslaCam viewer when the car is in Valet Mode.

I would be fine with Tesla removing the ability to access the TeslaCam/Sentry viewer from within Valet mode.

This is essentially al what the OP is asking. I don;t think anyone is asking for encrypting the drive.

Valet Mode already protects personal information and removing the ability to browse Sentry and TeslaCam videos should be a part of that privacy protection. Of course, no one is claiming this is rock solid protection for most usual cases, this would be sufficient and a common sense way to address OP's concerns.

Just keep it simple and remove access to TeslaCam viewer when the car is in Valet Mode.

Exactly. To me, it's a pretty simple question: "Is there any earthly reason why a valet needs to access this particular function?" If the answer is "NO," then that function should be disabled in Valet Mode. Period. This is what's already been done in other areas such as locking out "Home" and "Work" locations, disabling HomeLink, restricting speed, etc.--all the OP is asking for is to include accessing the videos in this group.

Me, I'd like to see a data USB port in the glove box. NO, it's not going to stop a determined & knowledgeable thief or vandal--but, it's in line with the rest of the low-level security that the Valet Mode provides. This would admittedly be a bigger change (hardware vs software) than grouping the Sentry vids with the rest of the software functions locked out in VM, but I for one would welcome it.

Exactly. To me, it's a pretty simple question: "Is there any earthly reason why a valet needs to access this particular function?" If the answer is "NO," then that function should be disabled in Valet Mode. Period. This is what's already been done in other areas such as locking out "Home" and "Work" locations, disabling HomeLink, restricting speed, etc.--all the OP is asking for is to include accessing the videos in this group.

Me, I'd like to see a data USB port in the glove box. NO, it's not going to stop a determined & knowledgeable thief or vandal--but, it's in line with the rest of the low-level security that the Valet Mode provides. This would admittedly be a bigger change (hardware vs software) than grouping the Sentry vids with the rest of the software functions locked out in VM, but I for one would welcome it.

Exactly this. I don't understand why some people were so triggered by OP's request.

BTW routing the USB port to the glove box with an extension cable is not that hard and it is likely a more elegant way to connect an SSD without it taking space in the center console . If I do this, I would still keep a decoy USB drive connected in the regular port in case someone thinks they are being so clever by taking the USB drive. :p

For now, I agree there is absolutely no reason for a Valet to browse Sentry and TeslaCam videos so easily and access to the Sentry Viewer should be disabled in Valet Mode, as it already blocks your other personal information.

Add the interior camera to sentry recordings.

Helpful to know what someone is doing if they get it.
Helpful to know who's inside if not captured by outside cameras.

In case of OE helpful with valet caused damage with clear view of them behind wheel.

I think its the "needs a password" part, which is the wrong solution to the problem.

A much better solution is removing the ability to access the TeslaCam/Sentry viewer from within Valet mode, as you suggest above.

That was just one of the OP's suggestions. He certainly pointed out that perhaps an easier way is to just remove the Sentry Viewer from within Valet Mode. I think we all agree that the Sentry Viewer Option should be removed from Valet Mode and that's the best and most elegant way to address OP's concern.

OP brought up a valid concern. Offered two possible options and I was pointing out to how some people felt triggered by the password option and disregarded that he also brought up just hiding the viewer from valet mode as a possible solution.

That was just one of the OP's suggestions. He certainly pointed out that perhaps an easier way is to just remove the Sentry Viewer from within Valet Mode. I think we all agree that the Sentry Viewer Option should be removed from Valet Mode and that's the best and most elegant way to address OP's concern.

OP brought up a valid concern. Offered two possible options and I was pointing out to how some people felt triggered by the password option and disregarded that he also brought up just hiding the viewer from valet mode as a possible solution.

Yeah I just wanted to have a way to have the Sentry Viewer not as visible in Valet Mode.

I guess I'm especially paranoid about this because a couple of months ago, I actually watched a valet scrape my car and then argue with me that he did no such thing. The TeslaCam video proved otherwise.

How can I change the subject of this thread to: "Sentry Viewer really need to be not visible in Valet Mode?"

Yeah I just wanted to have a way to have the Sentry Viewer not as visible in Valet Mode.

I guess I'm especially paranoid about this because a couple of months ago, I actually watched a valet scrape my car and then argue with me that he did no such thing. The TeslaCam video proved otherwise.

How can I change the subject of this thread to: "Sentry Viewer really need to be not visible in Valet Mode?"

Such a small patch should be easy to include in the next OTA. Great idea. How do you make Elon aware though?

Reactions: DCEV

So, the valet was an idiot.. He could have easily (if he was smart), taken the flash drive, deleted the files in question, or, hell, accidentally "break" the flash drive, if he knew he was on it.

That's where a lot of this comes down - sure, adding a flag to remove the option to view them in valet is all fine and dandy, but, in the end, someone else has full control of your vehicle and the contents inside, including the easily accessible USB ports. There is NOTHING stopping someone from taking the drive out. You parked at a valet, you'll be gone for a little while, any valet that's smart that knows Teslas can:
1 - Turn off Sentry mode
2 - Remove the flash drive (Sentry is enabled, recording isn't)
3 - Remove the flash drive and plug it into something else to copy/view/delete...

How many valet drivers are going to sit inside a vehicle and mess with a browser?

Everyone seems to be stuck on developing a solution to a situation with far easier methods of achieving the goal that is trying to be prevented. Most people are happy there's even a browser for the videos.. Some people still have problems with flash drives being unrecognized, or recording empty files, or randomly cutting off segments.. if they need to focus on something to fix related to Sentry, how about those issues instead....

• Disagree
Reactions: DCEV and PhilDavid
There is NOTHING stopping someone from taking the drive out.

We unless someone does what I’ve seen a few other paranoid people do. Pull the console, put a hub inside, and run a cable for the sentry drive to under the cubbies and inside the console or better idea the glove box (or under the seat) where no one but the owner can get to it or would ever think to look for it.

While I wouldn’t mind the recoding device be located say in the locked glove box, I’m certainly not going to pull the console myself. Though I’ve seen it done and it’s not a horrible job.

Yeah at some point security is about making things as difficult as possible for the common idiot. Anyone smart enough who really wants something will just get it.

OPs suggestions and concerns are common sense things that can be done easily to offer some sense of security, the whole point behind Sentry/TeslaCam.

I also agree they should enable Sentry with Valet mode, especially after they enable Stealth Sentry.

Even most savvy Tesla owners will not think beyond removing a USB drive in the default location and not tear down the car looking for alternate hidden locations...
The common thief would likely just steal the USB drive to look for personal info, or to resell it. Then again, even common thieves are getting smarter too. When my neighbor's car got broken into, the thieves removed the dashcam he had installed, removed the micro SD card from it, then threw the dashcam away into his trash (maybe they are too traceable by serial number?) but took the SD card with them (along with a bunch of stuff they took from the garage after using the built-in homelink to open it).

Such a small patch should be easy to include in the next OTA. Great idea. How do you make Elon aware though?

Yup, I'd be really happy to see the Tesla Cam/Sentry viewer option removed from Valet mode so while in Valet Mode the viewer is not accesibe. There's no reason a valet should be able to so easily review (and delete) all the Sentry and TeslaCam videos.

I think the real answer to this is three-fold: enable Sentry independently of Valet mode; password/PIN protect the videos; and place a data-enabled USB port inside the glove box (inaccessible in Valet mode) for the thumb drive.
@Jughead135,

Jughead, Thanks for the idea of putting the media in the glove box. Brilliant !!. This afternoon, I put a 128gig SSD in a cheap simple enclosure and tested it for storing media. And I am already familiar with a couple of very small holes in the far front end of the center console. One on each side and come out below the cubby.

Starting at the USB ports, I lifted the small rubber mat there; and started threading a 6 foot USB-C cable (USB-C end first) down through a hole in the plastic tray going forward; then under the rubber mat in the bottom of the center console; and out the right side small hole in the center console. Then routed it up forward under the MCU side trim, to the glove box and in next to the hinge. So far I've not need to even cut or drill a hole anywhere. Then plugged the USB A end in, the USB-C connector into the enclosure. It powered up, and the dashcam lit. Then tested. Total cost was almost $30. As cheap as some some flash drives.

And can top it off with a junk flash drive plugged into another port for a decoy. Let them find something an they are happy.

So if Valet mode is every turned on, its safe in the glove box since Valet mode locks it and he would not know it was there anyway.

And its worth another THANK YOU to jughead. Won't do any good to ask for pictures. Didn't take any. Just follow along and you can do it yourself. Easy to unplug from the USB port and stop it, and easy to disconnect and take inside from the glove box. Very clever jughead. You are no jughead, you need to change your name here. LOL

Last edited:
<snip>

The easiest solution is to remove the viewer in valet mode, and put a USB connector in the glove box. Then use that connector for the USB stick.

I just don't like using Valet service. But I think using a pin to access the player is a good idea.

I also was concerned about someone stealing the drive because it is so easily located and removed. I use an SSD and I hid it under the console so removing it is not only hidden but extremely difficult to remove. I dread the day it fails and needs replacing.

Meanwhile, I have another problem with the Sentry video player in that it fails to properly record events. I see it record almost 10 minutes prior to an event and then lose the last 49 seconds in the player. However, if I connect the drive to my computer the full clip will play. The recording needs much less lead time and a little post event time placing the intended event in the center of the playback. I hope they fix this in the next update.

So, is my well hidden SSD drive secure? No, because it can be accessed from the USB port in the console by unplugging it and plugging it into a computer using an extension cable. I really need to figure a way to hide the USB cable connection completely from view and access for perfection.

Meanwhile- fix the darn recording times and playback timing. That bothers me more than valet stealing my recordings.

Sorry if it was mentioned as it’s a long thread, but the first thing they should be doing, if security was the main concern, is encrypting the content.

You’d need the encryption key to view or delete the files.

Placing the USB Key in a more secure area would also be preferred. Maybe they can figure this into future designs of the car.

4 Digit Pin as referred to earlier seems like a good easy way to decrypt the content through the viewer.

Tesla should easily be able to build their own container for h.264 and add their own encryption.
There’s no reason they shouldn’t be implementing the same encryption standard as iOS and Android.

TravelFree, If you really really want to hide that USB connection, pull your MCU and disconnect one of the USB cables running from the back of the MCU and replace that connection with a USB extension cable that you wish to run anywhere you want it.

It won't be much easier, but you also could removed your console and disconnect the console end of the USB cable so the port is empty and run an extension cable to wherever you want it. After reviewing videos on both, the effort is almost the same except, you should unplug MCU power at the fuse to avoid that risk.