Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Sentry viewing habits and patterns

When do you view and/or delete your sentry videos?

• Each time I get in the car I watch and delete all sentry events

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Each time I get in the car I watch all sentry events... let them delete themselves

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I use sentry mode, but only watch events if I suspect a problem (vehicle damage, break-in, etc)

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • I use sentry mode, but don't really watch the events

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I don't use sentry mode

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm curious to know what others do with their sentry event videos. I've found myself reviewing and deleting each recorded sentry event each time I get in the car, just because I don't want to "miss" something. My last car received two mystery dings in the door that I kept for years until I finally traded it in... likely caused by another car's door hitting it. It would've been nice to have sentry mode on that car.

That said, I want to own the car (as opposed to the car owning me). This has me considering *not* watching the sentry videos, just keeping them around in case of damage. I guess my concern is that I may not notice the damage in a timely manner, before the pertinent sentry recording has already been pruned. Also... that method would mean hunting through all of the sentry videos at once looking for the incident.

So.. perhaps I'm overthinking this (guilty as charged), but it'd be good to know what others are doing. Care to take the poll?

Thanks!

1618350767831-png.653561

I'm curious to know what others do with their sentry event videos. I've found myself reviewing and deleting each recorded sentry event each time I get in the car, just because I don't want to "miss" something. My last car received two mystery dings in the door that I kept for years until I finally traded it in... likely caused by another car's door hitting it. It would've been nice to have sentry mode on that car.

That said, I want to own the car (as opposed to the car owning me). This has me considering *not* watching the sentry videos, just keeping them around in case of damage. I guess my concern is that I may not notice the damage in a timely manner, before the pertinent sentry recording has already been pruned. Also... that method would mean hunting through all of the sentry videos at once looking for the incident.

So.. perhaps I'm overthinking this (guilty as charged), but it'd be good to know what others are doing. Care to take the poll?

Thanks!

I review all the videos as well, though I believe that if I drove around and parked at more places, then viewing all the videos probably wouldn’t be an option. What makes this possible at all is the little red markers on the videos showing the exact point where the sentry alert occurred. But then what makes it more difficult is the wonkiness of the video replay in relation to the sentry alert red markers that are placed in the video streams, particularly when I try to move the play point close to the alert point on the video stream — the play point then will often start spuriously jumping to different points all along the video stream, often quite far from where I want it to play.

And then on many videos the stream will reach the alert point and I can see the beginning of what happened, then suddenly and spuriously the video play point will jump back to the very beginning of the video. I have to try to move the play point back to the alert point multiple times before it will actually play all the way through the alert event.

A few weeks ago on a local neighbor forum, somebody warned that their car had been broken into while surfing. One of the responses to this was that beach goers should try to park next to Teslas to make use of the Tesla video surveillance capabilities and thereby get some extra protection. I am wondering if parking next to Teslas for extra security is a “thing” or if that particular responder was just free-styling…

the play point then will often start spuriously jumping to different points all along the video stream

Yeah, I've experienced this as well. To clarify, when I say I "watch the videos", I'm always skipping to the red mark. Typically probably watching like 10 seconds of video per alert. Usually there are at *most* a handful of sentry videos.

Yeah I also try to view right away myself in case it allows me to catch up to a perpetrator. And also because I never bothered to buy a 20 terabyte hard disk to store my videos on, and immediate viewing/deletion prevents videos piling up into overflow on the provided thumb drive and causing error messages. So far (over the course of a couple months) it has been just people walking close to the car, with maybe one guy on a bike making a casual glance into the interior for whatever reason.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC