Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry-Why no MicroSD w/ USB adapter AND Lightning (iPhone connector)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After more fiddling - the vikasi works equally well with the iUSB app with or without the Apple adaptor. So it’s nice to be eliminate a piece, but I would really prefer the Files integration to work.
Do you see the USB drive show up at all in the Files app? I use this reader (which is compatible with the Apple camera SD adapter but can take Micro SD cards directly) with my iPhone, and it works fine. To connect to the car I use this compact card reader.

Do you see the USB drive show up at all in the Files app? I use this reader (which is compatible with the Apple camera SD adapter but can take Micro SD cards directly) with my iPhone, and it works fine. To connect to the car I use this compact card reader.

No, it does not show up at all in the Files app. I just ordered the Apple lightning to SD adaptor, and plan to pop the MicroSD card out of the vikasi and into a full-size SD adaptor when I want to view the files on my phone. Seems to me as good as any non-wireless solution.

No, it does not show up at all in the Files app. I just ordered the Apple lightning to SD adaptor, and plan to pop the MicroSD card out of the vikasi and into a full-size SD adaptor when I want to view the files on my phone. Seems to me as good as any non-wireless solution.
Oh, I thought you meant the Apple SD adapter when you previously wrote that it doesn't work? If you were using this "Vikasi" adapter it's no wonder that it doesn't work. These kind of adapters use a proprietary method to access the SD card with a special app (which was the only way to have full access to all directories before iOS 13). They are not compatible with the Files app. You have to use the Apple SD adaptor or a compatible 3rd party adapter (which were only able to read camera files from the DCIM directory before iOS 13).

Oh, I thought you meant the Apple SD adapter when you previously wrote that it doesn't work? If you were using this "Vikasi" adapter it's no wonder that it doesn't work. These kind of adapters use a proprietary method to access the SD card with a special app (which was the only way to do it before iOS 13). They are not compatible with the Files app. You have to use the Apple SD adaptor or a compatible 3rd party adapter (which were only able to read camera files from the DCIM directory before iOS 13).

in hindsight, I see that piggybacking the two adaptors seems foolish, but the video posted earlier in this thread (Sentry-Why no MicroSD w/ USB adapter AND Lightning (iPhone connector)?) shows this specific adaptor working in the Files app when connected through the Apple camera adaptor.

in hindsight, I see that piggybacking the two adaptors seems foolish, but the video posted earlier in this thread (Sentry-Why no MicroSD w/ USB adapter AND Lightning (iPhone connector)?) shows this specific adaptor working in the Files app when connected through the Apple camera adaptor.
Ah, only now I understand what you actually did. ;) I thought you had plugged in the Vikasi Lightning plug directly into the phone.

I have the Apple USB adapter as well (the one without an additional power feed) and it doesn't work with any USB drive I have tried, since they apparently pull to much power from the Lightning port (so you get the error message).

If you go the route of a micro SD card and adapter, all you need is an Apple Lightning to SD adapter and it works pretty well with the native files app and any of the three main sentry mode apps on the App Store. When the micro SD and adapter was working for me, it was very easy and convenient. SSD will do the same just need a different apple adapter and an extra power source. It’s nice to be able to view your videos in the car on your phone. Already saved me once!

Doesn’t puretesla have an iOS kit that basically does this and include an app to view the files on an iPad or iPhone? You’ll probably overpay a bit for the convenience but not a lot...
Personally, with iOS 13 now supporting USB storage natively in the Files app, I much prefer solutions that do not require an additional app. The Apple-compatible adapter I linked earlier works flawlessly.

After reading this thread and doing research, it is clear that the Apple SD card adaptor works with Files app and most Dash Cam apps.

But I would prefer not having to take out the SD card from the reader and placing into the Apple adaptor. I'd would rather remove an SD card reader from the USB port in my Model 3 and plug that directly into a USB to Lightning adaptor.

The Roadie looks excellent but is on delayed order currently and more expensive than I would liek given that I already purchased a 128 GB Samsung Endurance PRO Micro SD card (and don't want to setup my own Raspberry Pi).

Buddhra's video clearly shows that this is possible with the Vikasi reader and the Apple USB3 to Lightning adaptor. BUT, one reader above notes this did not work for them i.e. not viewable in the Files app with this combo. So, what gives??? I don't want to spend $40 on the Apple adaptor without knowing for sure it will work.

Buddhra - is this still your setup and no issues since you made your video? Have you had success with any SD reader since other than the Vikasi?

Can anyone else say they have had success with Apple USB3 to Lightning adaptor + an SD card reader without an additional power connection for the reader?

After reading this thread and doing research, it is clear that the Apple SD card adaptor works with Files app and most Dash Cam apps.

But I would prefer not having to take out the SD card from the reader and placing into the Apple adaptor. I'd would rather remove an SD card reader from the USB port in my Model 3 and plug that directly into a USB to Lightning adaptor.

The Roadie looks excellent but is on delayed order currently and more expensive than I would liek given that I already purchased a 128 GB Samsung Endurance PRO Micro SD card (and don't want to setup my own Raspberry Pi).

Buddhra's video clearly shows that this is possible with the Vikasi reader and the Apple USB3 to Lightning adaptor. BUT, one reader above notes this did not work for them i.e. not viewable in the Files app with this combo. So, what gives??? I don't want to spend $40 on the Apple adaptor without knowing for sure it will work.

Buddhra - is this still your setup and no issues since you made your video? Have you had success with any SD reader since other than the Vikasi?

Can anyone else say they have had success with Apple USB3 to Lightning adaptor + an SD card reader without an additional power connection for the reader?

I am doing the ixpand with built in lightning adapter. Should be in the mail tomorrow. If it works like they said it does with files and sentry apps, I will let you all know. This may be the easiest option if it works like I read. USB drive with built in lightning connector. No adapters needed!

I am doing the ixpand with built in lightning adapter. Should be in the mail tomorrow. If it works like they said it does with files and sentry apps, I will let you all know. This may be the easiest option if it works like I read. USB drive with built in lightning connector. No adapters needed!
The iXpand drives are not natively compatible with the Files app.You need to install the Sandisk app to access the drive. However, once you have it installed, the app can act as a file provider, which means you can browse the drive from within the Files app. I don't know about compatibility with the various dashcam apps.

@Kennymb5384 durability is a concern with the iXpand (and most usb flash) drives. For the high number of write cycles that the storage device will be seeing, a high endurance SD card or SSD is preferable.

That said, I have a usb stick that I just pulled out of the car after ~20k miles. I wonder what the best method is to verify its health. Chkdsk?

Reactions: Kennymb5384
@Kennymb5384 durability is a concern with the iXpand (and most usb flash) drives. For the high number of write cycles that the storage device will be seeing, a high endurance SD card or SSD is preferable.

That said, I have a usb stick that I just pulled out of the car after ~20k miles. I wonder what the best method is to verify its health. Chkdsk?
Yeah, I’m only trying it out for a new option. I had an endurance micro SD with adapter that worked for about a month and stopped (most likely the adapter), and I have a Samsung T5 SSD that has never had an issue, just looking for an easier, less cord setup for viewing on my phone! The micro SD was awesome and only needed the Apple SD adapter to view anything, but just stopped working one day and the car was throwing all kinds of sentry errors. Plugged the SSD in and everything was right in the world again. Only issue with the SSD is having to have like 3 cables to view on the phone since it needs power.

Reactions: spesler
Yeah, I’m only trying it out for a new option. I had an endurance micro SD with adapter that worked for about a month and stopped (most likely the adapter), and I have a Samsung T5 SSD that has never had an issue, just looking for an easier, less cord setup for viewing on my phone! The micro SD was awesome and only needed the Apple SD adapter to view anything, but just stopped working one day and the car was throwing all kinds of sentry errors. Plugged the SSD in and everything was right in the world again. Only issue with the SSD is having to have like 3 cables to view on the phone since it needs power.

Lol. You are already all over it!

I’m hoping that Tesla gets around to doing an in-car viewer. It seems trivially easy and perhaps inevitable, just a matter of prioritizing it relative to the other “nice to have” updates.

Reactions: Kennymb5384
Lol. You are already all over it!

I’m hoping that Tesla gets around to doing an in-car viewer. It seems trivially easy and perhaps inevitable, just a matter of prioritizing it relative to the other “nice to have” updates.
Yeah, it would be nice. Not sure how much development work would need to go into it. You feel like they would have done it already since it was a feature that is heavily requested. We know the car can recognize the drive without issue.

Right - good option using a non-Files App. I should have been more specific:
"Anyone else have success accessing TeslaCam directory on an iPhone using Apple USB3 to Lightning adaptor (or cheaper variant) + an SD card reader WITHOUT an additional power connection for the reader?

@buddhra Can you confirm continued success with the setup in your video - Apple USB3 to Lightning adaptor + Vikasi SD reader successfully accessing TeslaCam from Files app WITHOUT power to the adaptor? Thanks.