Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry-Why no MicroSD w/ USB adapter AND Lightning (iPhone connector)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prepping for my Model 3 delivery and cannot figure out which Sentry storage setup to go with.
1. USBs are cheap and there are several out there that allow your video to be viewed from a iPhone via a lightning connector or WiFi (from the USB device to your phone).
2. MicroSDs seem to be generally viewed as a better storage option for Sentry-however, the downside there is no way (I know of) where you can view videos from your phone.
so...
Why doesn't anyone take the best of both of these and combine them into a USB that accepts a MicroSD card for storage but also plugs into your phone (via lightning) or allows you to view via WiFi?

I'm not super techy, but is there some technology limitations here or...?

Thanks in advance.... (and please take it easy on my as this is my first post ;-).

Prepping for my Model 3 delivery and cannot figure out which Sentry storage setup to go with.
1. USBs are cheap and there are several out there that allow your video to be viewed from a iPhone via a lightning connector or WiFi (from the USB device to your phone).
2. MicroSDs seem to be generally viewed as a better storage option for Sentry-however, the downside there is no way (I know of) where you can view videos from your phone.
so...
Why doesn't anyone take the best of both of these and combine them into a USB that accepts a MicroSD card for storage but also plugs into your phone (via lightning) or allows you to view via WiFi?

Thanks in advance.... (and please take it easy on my as this is my first post ;-).
MicroSD plus this works just fine on iPhone.
Kingston Digital FCR-ML3C... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07416LQVM?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks Nomad and WhatThe; however, unfortunately this may be where Apple is a pain as neither of those solutions are available for Apple products (easy lightning connection (or wifi) to an iPhone...).

Tron-I really want to go to a SSD, but still don't have that mobile ability. Tesla just needs to update it so we can see it on the screen and all my, and many, folks problems are solved on which storage thing to get.

Thanks

Thanks Nomad and WhatThe; however, unfortunately this may be where Apple is a pain as neither of those solutions are available for Apple products (easy lightning connection (or wifi) to an iPhone...).

Tron-I really want to go to a SSD, but still don't have that mobile ability. Tesla just needs to update it so we can see it on the screen and all my, and many, folks problems are solved on which storage thing to get.

Thanks
Right you are. Sorry forgot to attach th iPhone adapter.
suntrsi TF/SD Card Reader... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D72L4Q7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Right you are. Sorry forgot to attach th iPhone adapter.
suntrsi TF/SD Card Reader... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D72L4Q7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

WhatThe#&$ is right - this beast is the swiss army knife of the computer storage/connectability world. I think this is exactly what I was looking for as it allows the best of all worlds - using a MicroSD in the Tesla (with USB adapter) and pull out this little baby to view the video footage on my phone (from the MicroSD) if needed.

Brilliant! - Thank you!!!

WhatThe#&$ is right - this beast is the swiss army knife of the computer storage/connectability world. I think this is exactly what I was looking for as it allows the best of all worlds - using a MicroSD in the Tesla (with USB adapter) and pull out this little baby to view the video footage on my phone (from the MicroSD) if needed.

Brilliant! - Thank you!!!

I'm working on a video about this right now. Wait before you purchase an adapter with lightning, because it's probably not going to work like you want. All these adapters that were on the market pre-iOS13 need an additional app to work (usually called iUSB Pro) and they don't work with the stock files app on iOS13. I'm sure Apple has reasons for that beyond making themselves money, but the end result is frustration. You need the videos to work on the files app for it to work with the Cam Viewer app, which is great, btw.

To make the video files available in the files app in iOS13 you're going to need the real Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter. Then you need a good microSD card like the Samsung Pro Endurance. And then you need a microSD reader to connect to the lightning adapter, but this is also tricky. Almost every one I've tried so far gives me an error on the iPhone that it requires too much power. This Vikasi reader works, but it's kind of silly to have a lightning connector that you can't use.

I have a bunch of microSD readers on the way to test, so maybe I'll have a better solution soon, but this one works.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: SAronian and UCF3
so...

Well I have a bucket of various USB drives I could send you, too much unreadable or corrupt files, ended up going with the Samsung SSD and have had no problems since, don't go cheap, it's a headache

Reactions: TTM3
Hmmm... I just bought the Vikasi, an Apple adaptor, and a high endurance card. The car can write to the card, but nothing shows up under files on the phone. The Apple adaptor downloaded an update when I first connected it to the phone, and it complained about high power consumption when I plugged a different device in, so it seems to work. Frustrating.

• Helpful
Reactions: MJP.P3D-
I used a micro SD with adapter, and it worked well for about a month and then I started seeing errors that the memory was full (clearly wasn’t) and dash cam was not working. Could not use dash cam for a couple days. Moved back to my SSD and haven’t had a problem since. Could very well have been the adapter, but not going to test it again.

Reactions: Tron 3