Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seperation between trunk and passengers without 3rd row seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spidy

Feb 7, 2015
EU
I never really though about this, until I just looked at a Model X picture after reading the 5/7 seat poll.

Without the 3rd row how will it be prevented that stuff just falls out of the trunk? Has there been any demo showing the rear seats folded down? Is there a car with a similar setup?

model-x-concept-seating.jpg

Looking at other 7 seater SUVs like the Mercedes GL or Audi Q7, the setup usually looks like this. Basically the 2nd row ends where the door starts so there is no space behind the 2rd row creating a gap at the door.

2014-GL-CLASS-SUV-052-CCF-D.jpg

I think the 2nd row is going to do a fine job keeping things in the back (when the third row is either not selected or stowed) because the falcon wing door will be closed. It only looks like things will fall around but I imagine the door will come pretty close to the edge of the seats.

Last edited:
I think the 2nd row is going to do a fine job keeping things in the back (when the third row is either not selected or stowed) because the falcon wing door will be closed. It only looks like things will fall around but I imagine the door will come pretty close to the edge of the seats.
Thinking the same. Also thinking that since the 2nd row is surely wider, if they can even move back to the 3rd row arm rests, that'll cover at least the lower cargo bay, yea I said bay.. Its going to be huge! :)

Don't know about the separation but thank goodness the head rests seem to be able to go up and down. Fortunately I have the seats with the shorter headrests but the newer ones the tall immovable headrests are just crazy. Looking forward to configuring my X.

Guess so far nothing has really changed. Still seems like this will be very strange when used in a 5 seat configuration or at least waste some potential trunk space behind the seats.
tesla-model-x-04-ppp.jpg