Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sept 10 - Oct 1 2019 2K Miles Free Supercharging Promotion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s 2000 supercharging mile referral bonus began September 10, 2019 and was given as long as the buyer took delivery by October 1, 2019. However, if Tesla delayed the delivery until after October 1, 2019 (at no fault of the buyer) the referral bonus miles reverted to 1000. I had four referrals between September 10th and October 1st. All but the first referral (September 12th) were delivered on time. The September 12th order was not delivered until October 24th. This had nothing to do with any act by the buyer. This was due to a Tesla delay. Regardless, Tesla only credited 1000 of the 2000 referral miles. This does not seem cricket. Any opinions?

If a model 3 gets 4 miles per kWh then 1000 miles is 250 kWh's . If one pays 20 cents a kWh, then this is $50 of electricity. If one wants to use the supercharger cost of .28 cents, because they can not charge at home for some reason, then we are talking about $70 worth of electricity.

Now , take how much you make per hour (whatever that is) and see how many hours you have to work to earn $70. This will tell you how much it will cost you to "work" on this issue either physically (or mentally) trying to get this back from tesla. If you think you can get it back from tesla before you "lose money" then go for it, but I find that unlikely.. at least for most people who can afford to purchase any tesla. If someone makes $15 per hour, we are talking about 4.6 hours they can work before losing money on trying to get these miles).

For "work" I include mental work trying to figure out how to get it back from tesla, emails, forum posts, etc. I doubt anyone working a regular 9-5 job making $15 per hour can afford to buy a new tesla, and if they can, they have income coming from somewhere else that they should be accounting for in the process.

TL ; DR

Its so little actual money, its not worth even worrying about trying to get it back somehow, unless its a "principle of the matter" type thing. If it is for someone, I get that, but you can spend hours and days chasing after this with tesla, so one should know what that is "costing" them.