Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sept. 2020, End of Qtr, Free upgrades, NOT!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t even have a car on order ... I made the deposit on Sunday the 15th. They approved the free white interior upgrade and it shows on my MVPA as of today. The deals are real. Not sure why some aren’t getting them.

Posts like this further illustrate the importance of accurate information being distributed in writing to local centers an directly contradicts Elon's recent tweet:

"A fundamental premise of Tesla is that everyone is offered same terms at same time"

Except when the aren't, Elon.

Furthermore, just to get all my Tesla ranting out of the way...

"Secret" and unpublished offerings are equally contradictory to those core principals. An example being the non-publishing and no online orders for the $35K SR. Tesla's choice... Offer the $35K SR or don't offer it, But if you do offer it, make it known and easily available to everyone, not just buyers who happen to read EV blogs and forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Otocolobus
It is reported that Elon pulled the plug on the end of quarter comps because of excessive Tesla owner complaints . Typical jealously form others, some people just cant be happy if someone else gets a better deal.. SAD

No one should be getting any sort of deals then right?

"No one gets any sort of discount. Not even Elon himself. He pays full price, everyone pays full price."

Lol

OP: can you clarify if you were buying a SR+ or trying to get them to downgrade one to a SR (non plus)

I looked at both. When Tesla said the promo might not apply to an SR, I ordered an SR+. It turns out it had absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

At least one of these statements made by Tesla representatives is accurate:
  • "You can get the upgrades on new inventory purchases"
  • "You can't get the upgrades on new inventory purchases"
  • "Others are getting the upgrades on inventory purchases without an existing order"
  • "No one is getting the deal unless they ordered before xxx"
  • "Looks like it might rain today"

Reactions: vickh
I looked at both. When Tesla said the promo might not apply to an SR, I ordered an SR+. It turns out it had absolutely nothing to do with the issue.

At least one of these statements made by Tesla representatives is accurate:
  • "You can get the upgrades on new inventory purchases"
  • "You can't get the upgrades on new inventory purchases"
  • "Others are getting the upgrades on inventory purchases without an existing order"
  • "No one is getting the deal unless they ordered before xxx"
  • "Looks like it might rain today"

I understand you are upset. You wanted a good deal, thought you had one and the deal got pulled out from under you.

Tesla did you wrong in this case, but as a general rule Telsa does not do deals ; so before picking another car entirely realize most all of the happy owners on this forum paid full MSRP too and many paid for more for the exact car given the price drops.

My only point, which I am glad you clarified ; is if you buy a SR ; it is the exact car as an SR+ just software limited so Telsa loses money on that purchase ; by trying to also get extra cost items for free it would be more understandable if not an SR+ that this could have happened to you.
The fact it is was an SR+ makes it bad the way they handled you.

I understand you are upset. You wanted a good deal, thought you had one and the deal got pulled out from under you.

Yup. And it is perhaps an over-reaction to be pissed off about the discounts, as I also own a fair bit of TSLA picked up before the model S was even released. The swing from their next 10Q will have far more impact for me than the minor discounts, but that's kind of the point as well. Crap like this doesn't help quarterly results.

Why can't Tesla get it together in their corporate -> local centers -> customers and direct corporate -> customer communication chains?

In ten years, will Elon be saying "We sent a team to Mars, but we still can't effectively communicate EOQ and other programs to our sales representatives..."

Not acceptable IMHO.

I
Tesla did you wrong in this case, but as a general rule Telsa does not do deals ;

This can't be further from the truth.
I know for a fact that they do all sorts of deals come end of quarter. I have heard of in the states and I have participated in Europe (and have friends who got deals) on a deal when I got my Model 3.
They slashed the price by around 4000$ for me in the run to beat their record on a brand new inventory car+ free supercharging for 8000km.
Funny thing is the price dropped with the beginning of the new quarter by exactly the same amount, so technically I didn't get a deal, but factually I got it, because people who ordered that same day and didn't do the deal, paid full price. And I know a few of those on the European forum. Tesla does these deals under the table, sort of if you ask.

I also know of deals in the ball park of 10-15000$ for Model S + free supercharging for life when they switched to Raven and were getting the inventory out(totally new cars, just not matched yet and sitting in the lot)

So yeah, don't believe anything Lord Elon tells you - or do you think these deals come miraculously every quarter down to the sales reps without him knowing? People buy into his words too much.

Placed my order yesterday at Tesla store. Requested that the service advisor send me an email guaranteeing that I would get the two years of supercharging. He fired off the email right away, I flagged it to keep and will present it to any one that challenges that. In addition, I verified perk with store manager.

Placed my order yesterday at Tesla store. Requested that the service advisor send me an email guaranteeing that I would get the two years of supercharging. He fired off the email right away, I flagged it to keep and will present it to any one that challenges that. In addition, I verified perk with store manager.

emails from reps mean nothing. I know from prior experience

As an owner I find it less stressful to not care what others may or may not be paying
I am sure some got good deals, a few hundred likely got the 2 free extras before it was pulled over the weekend, some of their used cars were ridiculously discounted one night a few weeks ago but the majority of model 3 buyers are not paying any less than the website shows.

Reactions: T3SLAROD and vickh
Tesla wanted to drum up EoQ sales, and this 'upgrade episode' did attract a lot of interest. Intentionally or not.

As a business, why wastes a good opportunity like this? Turn chick poop into chicken soup:

Musk could use this opportunity to say, 'Oh sorry, it was an unintended event. However, as a 'one-time deal,' we will honor it and extend the offer for [insert number] days, to make every buyers happy. For the owners who had taken delivery of their cars a few days earlier, we will do a good will and offer them [something does not have much 'hard' cost, like more free miles for Supercharing, or more chances to win the Tesla Roadster, etc., etc.)'

Sales up, customers happy, capture loyalty, positive marketing. A lot to gain, with a little cost (some wheels upgrade, paint, etc., etc. Not a big deal for Tesla.)

Wouldn't it be nice? Just a thought.

Seems either there was miscommunication and or future owners were trying to game the system. I can see why Tesla would offer some freebies for those that waited and unload inventory cars that match close enough in those regions. Jumping 3 months int December, it will be likely something similar for people to get the last of tax credit before it expires.

The sales agent who I placed order with said she can still do the 2 free upgrades. Message me for SA contact.

I was at first told I could have both the 2-year Supercharging and free upgrades. Then, late yesterday, I was told I had to choose either Supercharging or upgrades. As of this afternoon I was told I was still getting the upgrades, and that the pricing on my account would be updated by "end of day". I just checked, and it still isn't updated. So now I'm starting to doubt I'm going to get it.

I was at first told I could have both the 2-year Supercharging and free upgrades. Then, late yesterday, I was told I had to choose either Supercharging or upgrades. As of this afternoon I was told I was still getting the upgrades, and that the pricing on my account would be updated by "end of day". I just checked, and it still isn't updated. So now I'm starting to doubt I'm going to get it.
It took a few days for mine to show up. I’d already completed all the stuff on my end. Finally when the paperwork side sent my titling and MVPA paperwork into my Tesla account the $1k discount was there on the MVPA as a “referral” discount.

Yup, same situation. I was told I was getting both, then just one. I picked the upgraded wheels over the free SC...it's been 3 days and my delivery is scheduled for this Sunday. My MVPA does not reflect the correct amount. I'm getting pretty frustrated, to be honest. I need to finalize the 'final payment' so I can get my CU to issue a check for the amount.

This whole process is anxiety-inducing. I'm actually psuedo-dreading the inspection on Sunday as I am VERY anal and could see myself reject a car I've already purchased several hundred dollars of preventative accessories for (PPF, wraps, covers, screen protector, etc...). If the car is fine - I'm actually going to take mudguards with me to delivery and install them immediately.