Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 17 order EDD keeps being moved towards 1 year wait mark

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On September 17, 2021, I ordered a Pearl White Model Y Long Range from Dublin -San Francisco Bay Area, California- .
The EDD has been moved about 10+ times so far, and it seems that the total wait for my Y will be at least 1 year :-(
The 3 latest 'updates' of the EDD:
May 1, 2022 > EDD 8: August 11 to September 22
July 15, 2022 > EDD 9: August 14 to August 19. On 7/15, I also received an inquiry about trade-in, an I thought things were finally moving! But no VIN yet !
August 10, 2022 > new EDD 10: August 22 to September 19

Last edited:
On September 17, 2021, I ordered a Pearl White Model Y Long Range from Dublin -San Francisco Bay Area, California- .
The EDD has been moved about 10+ times so far, and it seems that the total wait for my Y will be at least 1 year :-(
July 15, 2022 > EDD 9: August 14 to August 19. On 7/15, I also received an inquiry about trade-in, an I thought things were finally moving! But no VIN yet !

I've had SAs dig into RNs and it's usually the order not being filled out correctly (i.e Sept) and when it does (i.e trade in or finance) then that essentially is that is "order" date.

Sorry to hear about your deals but I know folks with June orders that finally are receiving deliveries this month (so 14 months).

Thank you for the encouragement.
Re 'the order not being filled out correctly (i.e Sept)' I have a screen shot of the Tesla system taken at the Tesla facility, and it shows 'Order 17 September 2021'. BTW, I got shouted at by the SA for taking a picture of the screen ;-(
Re 'trade in or finance', I have none: no trade-in & a cash transaction.

Tesla, this is a very crazy way to run a business:
- for the Tesla Model Y, I now counted 17 (not 10 as previously estimated) EDD updates. Tesla keeps the process completely hidden; the only saver is Tesla Motors Club that gives you some insight into the ordering chaos. It seems that delivery is nothing like 'first order first served' but a weird combination of model, ordering location and the phases of the moon: all my friends/colleagues that ordered later in September 2021 have long been delivered.
- for the Tesla Solar Roof, nothing happen for 4 months, no update or call, no answering the messages. Then one afternoon I got a text stating that 'installation will happen tomorrow' and I had to fly back in a hurry to meet the workers.

Thank you for the encouragement.
Re 'the order not being filled out correctly (i.e Sept)' I have a screen shot of the Tesla system taken at the Tesla facility, and it shows 'Order 17 September 2021'. BTW, I got shouted at by the SA for taking a picture of the screen ;-(
Re 'trade in or finance', I have none: no trade-in & a cash transaction.

Tesla, this is a very crazy way to run a business:
- for the Tesla Model Y, I now counted 17 (not 10 as previously estimated) EDD updates. Tesla keeps the process completely hidden; the only saver is Tesla Motors Club that gives you some insight into the ordering chaos. It seems that delivery is nothing like 'first order first served' but a weird combination of model, ordering location and the phases of the moon: all my friends/colleagues that ordered later in September 2021 have long been delivered.
- for the Tesla Solar Roof, nothing happen for 4 months, no update or call, no answering the messages. Then one afternoon I got a text stating that 'installation will happen tomorrow' and I had to fly back in a hurry to meet the workers.
That solar rood story is nuts. One day notice??? Totally unacceptable for something that can easily be planned way out.

re 'That solar rood story is nuts'. Funny part: when the call came for the Solar installation, I was so happy (that something was finally happening after 4 months of silence) that I went through hoops to make it happen. At the end, I could not get back in time, but I talked to the independent contractor used by Tesla and he was able to shuffle the install and delay mine by 2 days. After that, everything went quite smoothly and I really like my zero electrical bill :)
Hopefully the same will happen with the MY I ordered: when it comes, I should be very happy despite all the abuse and unpredictability: 17 delays and counting.

If it makes you feel any better I am also still waiting (Sept 15 OD). I believe there are still a few Aug '21 orders outstanding as well.

If it makes you feel any better I am also still waiting (Sept 15 OD). I believe there are still a few Aug '21 orders outstanding as well.
Thanks, I do feel better now ;-)
Yesterday was the 1st day of my 1-week window for delivery ... that was replaced at once by a later 28-days windows ;-(
I do not know how other people feel, but I have taken so much abuse by Tesla (17+ updates, no visibility on the order, an SA of my grandson age shouting at me) that it makes my experience real bad. Hopefully the car is worth all that shenanigan.
As a comparison, the delivery for the Leaf was only delayed once vs Tesla 17+, and NIssan send somebody to advise on the electrical charging vs Tesla not even disclosing whether I would get a Mobile charger or a 14/50 extension !

Thanks, I do feel better now ;-)
Yesterday was the 1st day of my 1-week window for delivery ... that was replaced at once by a later 28-days windows ;-(
I do not know how other people feel, but I have taken so much abuse by Tesla (17+ updates, no visibility on the order, an SA of my grandson age shouting at me) that it makes my experience real bad. Hopefully the car is worth all that shenanigan.
As a comparison, the delivery for the Leaf was only delayed once vs Tesla 17+, and NIssan send somebody to advise on the electrical charging vs Tesla not even disclosing whether I would get a Mobile charger or a 14/50 extension !
I feel your pain; I had a similar interaction with my SA and I could not believe the tone of the conversation. Basically implied that Tesla was doing me a favour of selling me the car and I should read the fine print in the contract.

If there was an alternate vehicle I would have definitely jumped ship; sadly at this time I don't see an equivalent vehicle for that price.

From what I have heard it is worth the wait and hassle, so fingers crossed!

I feel your pain; I had a similar interaction with my SA and I could not believe the tone of the conversation. Basically implied that Tesla was doing me a favour of selling me the car and I should read the fine print in the contract.

If there was an alternate vehicle I would have definitely jumped ship; sadly at this time I don't see an equivalent vehicle for that price.

From what I have heard it is worth the wait and hassle, so fingers crossed!
Just got a new EDD for a MYLR ordered 17 September 2021 in Dublin, California:
17 August 2022: EDD #18: August 20 to September 3 !

Nice, I have the same EDD currently. Although I'm giving a 0% probability that I actually get the car in that window based on past performance 😄
Unfortunately, I do Agree: last time I got a 1-week window (and a trade-in inquiry), it became yet another 28 days window the very 1st day of the 1-week window ;-(
I still do not have a WIN, so I doubt I will get a car but keep my fingers crossed.
Tesla has transformed us into soul-less beggars :-(

Hang in there. I posted in different thread that my order form 380+ days ago just got delivered.

If you want detailed info... send me your RN. I can have a Tesla insider check when you officially completed your profile/order.

Hang in there. I posted in different thread that my order form 380+ days ago just got delivered.

If you want detailed info... send me your RN. I can have a Tesla insider check when you officially completed your profile/order.
Thank you. As I said previously, I have a screen shot of the Tesla system taken at the Tesla facility in May 2022, and it shows 'Order 17 September 2021'. Would Tesla use a 'second set of dates' to trump the actual OD ?
Anyway, 2 days to go before the beginning of my new 2-week window (8/20 to 9/3) and I still do not have a VIN:)

Thank you. As I said previously, I have a screen shot of the Tesla system taken at the Tesla facility in May 2022, and it shows 'Order 17 September 2021'. Would Tesla use a 'second set of dates' to trump the actual OD ?
Anyway, 2 days to go before the beginning of my new 2-week window (8/20 to 9/3) and I still do not have a VIN:)

I’ve seen an order from June/July that was not completely filled out finance/trade wise until mid/late November which meant this person would get an August 2022 EDD. When you ordered is not the same as when you properly filled everything out for the anal retentive Tesla ordering system.

On the flipside you can game this system by ordering and leaving fields blank and this will cause orders to be delayed. I did this with an Oct 2021 MYP order I didn’t want and now the EDD is late 2022-early 2023.

I’ve seen an order from June/July that was not completely filled out finance/trade wise until mid/late November which meant this person would get an August 2022 EDD. When you ordered is not the same as when you properly filled everything out for the anal retentive Tesla ordering system.

On the flipside you can game this system by ordering and leaving fields blank and this will cause orders to be delayed. I did this with an Oct 2021 MYP order I didn’t want and now the EDD is late 2022-early 2023.
Interesting info! I did not have financing or trade-in and the SA told me that the profile was complete, but there might be some hidden parameters.
According to the Tesla Motors Club spreadsheet (the only source of information because Tesla is so secretive), it seems that there is a wide discrepancy of deliveries dates depending on the ordering location. It is a bit frustrating to see so many MYLR delivered for later OD while you are still waiting.

Interesting info! I did not have financing or trade-in and the SA told me that the profile was complete, but there might be some hidden parameters.
According to the Tesla Motors Club spreadsheet (the only source of information because Tesla is so secretive), it seems that there is a wide discrepancy of deliveries dates depending on the ordering location. It is a bit frustrating to see so many MYLR delivered for later OD while you are still waiting.
On 8/21, two days into my second 2-weeks window EDD#18, a new 'update' EDD#19, yet another 2-weeks window 8/25 to 9/4. EDD#19 is delayey by 5 days as compared to EDD#18. EDD#19 is my 3rd 2-weeks window after EDD#16 and EDD#18. Still no VIN.

On 8/21, two days into my second 2-weeks window EDD#18, a new 'update' EDD#19, yet another 2-weeks window 8/25 to 9/4. EDD#19 is delayey by 5 days as compared to EDD#18. EDD#19 is my 3rd 2-weeks window after EDD#16 and EDD#18. Still no VIN.

You are in CA. I suspect you will be part of the end of quarter push in Sept. Probably the last two weeks of Sept is my guess.

The MY was delivered Aug. 23 at my home, and it had some cosmetic issues, including a trim above the front that was not secure and hanged with a 3" gap, a gouge in the paint and a misaligned hatch door. It also lacked the MC charger. The car was clearly unfinished. I drove the car back to the factory and it was kept for more than a week.
I should have taken delivery at the factory, it would have spared me all the negotiations to get it repaired !