Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens when you get assigned a VIN, a delivery date, and then do nothing? Austin built Y is on the visible horizon and I can wait.
The question is how will you know where the vehicle will come from? Once they start delivering Austin Ys there was no indication that Fremont would shut down to get 4680s there as well. So there is a strong possibility that there will be 2170s and 4680s being produced. If you are on the west coast it is safe to say, at least initially, they will continue to get Fremont Ys, but midwest?? You may be delaying for another Fremont built Y.

Got my first 2-week window. I know others have had multiple 2-weekers, or even been kicked-back to 1-month window 😞, but this gives me hope that I'm maybe 10 days from VIN (give or take 7 days). That would be 149 days from OD to VIN, and I think I'm kind-of in the middle (compared to other Sept orders). The Teslike spreadsheet shows 108 day median "OD to VIN" for 5-seat LR noFSD orders placed in August, so it seems like there has been quite a slow-down just between August and the first half of September.

OD: 09/11/2021;
EDD: 1/18-2/15 (1month)
EDD: 2/3-3/3 (1month, notified on 2nd day of previous window)
EDD: 2/14-2/28 (2week, notified 6 days before previous window)

LR blue/black tow 19" noFSD, Minnesota(EDP)
I am an August and I got my VIN (last week) at 159 days.

subi is famous of cracking their windows due to this feature. I'd say AMD is ok to have (drain your battery 3% more), 12V is optional, wiper blade ... mixed feeling. Just give me the car!!!!! hahaha
I believe we have only seen the AMD effect on the battery in Australia. It has not been noted on seen here. The EPA and Australia's equivalent do not have the same way of estimating range. So while it is safe to say there may be some hit, we do not know what that hit is, and Tesla is not changing their estimated EPA on their website, nor making people acknowledge that the range will take a hit (yet).

Delivery day for me! Such a relief the wait is finally over. Will report back tonight with any helpful feedback from the delivery experience. I can tell you make sure your name in your Tesla profile is your full legal name, not just your preferred name or shortened name (ex: Mike vs Michael). They will use this for all of your documents, registration, title, etc. My docs were sent with the wrong name (my fault really). Anyway, maybe that helps someone out there to avoid a small fee down the road by switching it now.
Delivery was awesome! I showed up early and the place was PACKED with new cars + new owners. I couldn't help but notice 75% of them seemed to be white model Y's and X's. SA mentioned Tesla mandated a software update to all of their vehicles yesterday morning before they could proceed with any deliveries, period. So that pushed back a bunch of morning delivery times, so much so that my 5pm delivery was more like 5:20pm by the time I was finalizing trade in, paperwork, etc. I was probably done with paperwork 5-10 minutes later, but then spent a good half hour chatting with SA about certain features, things to know, etc. Definitely felt informed leaving the lot, which is great.

I wanted to emphasize this to everyone, I never felt rushed at all. I could inspect the car inside and out for as long as I wanted, which I realize is important when accepting delivery. My car was like 99% perfect. Didn't have mud flaps in stock, so will have to get those in a few weeks.

It did have the AMD chip and lithium battery.

As others have shared, it is 1000% worth the wait and I was smiling the whole way home. Such a great car, sound system is incredible, suspension is really pretty good in my opinion and the ride is fairly quiet. I drove a junker before this, so probably depends on your transition here.

Two lessons:
- your Model Y will need some time to calibrate the cameras and an alert will show on screen until this is complete. SA says it will likely complete it's calibration by the time you make it home (which it did). Just had me worried for a bit haha
- if you have a garage door opener, don't forget it in your trade in vehicle (whoops)

Happy to answer an other Q's you might have about the experience. Otherwise, best of luck to all of you!

Delivery was awesome! I showed up early and the place was PACKED with new cars + new owners. I couldn't help but notice 75% of them seemed to be white model Y's and X's. SA mentioned Tesla mandated a software update to all of their vehicles yesterday morning before they could proceed with any deliveries, period. So that pushed back a bunch of morning delivery times, so much so that my 5pm delivery was more like 5:20pm by the time I was finalizing trade in, paperwork, etc. I was probably done with paperwork 5-10 minutes later, but then spent a good half hour chatting with SA about certain features, things to know, etc. Definitely felt informed leaving the lot, which is great.

I wanted to emphasize this to everyone, I never felt rushed at all. I could inspect the car inside and out for as long as I wanted, which I realize is important when accepting delivery. My car was like 99% perfect. Didn't have mud flaps in stock, so will have to get those in a few weeks.

As others have shared, it is 1000% worth the wait and I was smiling the whole way home. Such a great car, sound system is incredible, suspension is really pretty good in my opinion and the ride is fairly quiet. I drove a junker before this, so probably depends on your transition here.

Two lessons:
- your Model Y will need some time to calibrate the cameras and an alert will show on screen until this is complete. SA says it will likely complete it's calibration by the time you make it home (which it did). Just had me worried for a bit haha
- if you have a garage door opener, don't forget it in your trade in vehicle (whoops)

Happy to answer an other Q's you might have about the experience. Otherwise, best of luck to all of you!
Congratulations!!

Reactions: dude chillin

Two lessons:

CONGRATS

And it's not on the Chevy Bolt, which has been a big problem. An hour into a snowy car trip, you pull the stalk for the windshield washer, and get a spray of fluid over the window... and the wipers don't budge. If it's cold enough, maybe the fluid freezes into a solid translucent sheet as you pull over blindly at 65mph.
Which has not been a problem for me. Turn the windshield defrost on. Rain X windshield fluid good to -25F.

VIN will likely be unassigned, back in line waiting. Another VIN might be assigned quickly( 1-2 weeks possibly) and after that still don't take delivery, Tesla might cancel the order. There is likely no way to push delivery to Austin start up without order being cancelled.
I could wait, but I waited long enough for my Fremont VIN, NF370... Austin MY on the 'horizon' means "I'm going to wait for the tax rebate", "I'm going to wait for the horizon". I just waited for Tesla to assign my VIN, simple. OD 9/8, EDD Feb 11-15. Insurance and payment ✅. Just waiting for a date to schedule my 'trade in'/sale to Carmax.

My SA told me not to add trade in etc. till the VIN is assigned so that it doesn't mess the system. I hope once your trade-in goes through, your delivery date will probably creep close to mine.
Trade in went through... It was in limbo from Saturday till Monday morning. The limbo on Sunday... JUNE kicked in. Monday all locked and set. Only did trade in because they texted me. It was first time with communication since I ordered in September and 1 week before start of delivery window. whoops lol Now JUNE

The question is how will you know where the vehicle will come from? Once they start delivering Austin Ys there was no indication that Fremont would shut down to get 4680s there as well. So there is a strong possibility that there will be 2170s and 4680s being produced. If you are on the west coast it is safe to say, at least initially, they will continue to get Fremont Ys, but midwest?? You may be delaying for another Fremont built Y.
who's to say that Fremont is not about to do 4680? I know it might be too much to re configure ... shut down the line.. but the supply is a few blocks away from Fremont and all the Austin training started in Freemont as they were building Austin. I hope they are sandbagging and Fremont mirrors Austin with technology.

who's to say that Fremont is not about to do 4680? I know it might be too much to re configure ... shut down the line.. but the supply is a few blocks away from Fremont and all the Austin training started in Freemont as they were building Austin. I hope they are sandbagging and Fremont mirrors Austin with technology.
No one...but that is just it, no one has said it. And that is my point. There is no guarantee that going on hold will net anyone (in the midwest specifically) 4680s, so holding may just push one back for the same battery pack.

Two lessons:

Can you tell me about the trade in experience? I am trading my car in to and have heard stories from some places where they will test drive your car and then give you different quote. What was your experience like and how did they treat your trade in? Thanks.

Can you tell me about the trade in experience? I am trading my car in to and have heard stories from some places where they will test drive your car and then give you different quote. What was your experience like and how did they treat your trade in? Thanks.
Great question and I was curious about this ahead of time myself. Of course, I can only share my own experience and I certainly hope it goes the same for you.

There was really nothing to it. It was just about the most casual trade in experience you could imagine. I arrived and parked the car, walked inside and they directed me to my new MYLR. Eventually a SA came out and I handed him the key to my trade in so he could go walk over to my car and simply check the odometer. There was no driving it around. No close inspection. It was basically all about the odometer and making sure it was within the 1,000 mile range of our agreed trade in offer. I eventually handed them my car title when we reached the paperwork phase. Again, probably 5-8 mins of this. Sign this, sign that. That was pretty much it.

The short answer is it could not have been easier.

Two lessons:

Congrats, that’s awesome! I’m on the hunt for newer builds and whether the heated wiper park is being consistently added.

Also curious about, but way less invested in, the double pane glass in the rear windows (which isn’t showing up much, if at all, lately).

Enjoy the new ride! (and share a pic or two for those of us still riding the joy of others until our new vehicles arrive)

Reactions: Evthusiast
I did a trade in. No inspection. The SA who came to drop my car from EP also drove away my car. He just wanted the tittle and keys. The only warning I would give anyone planning to do a trade in with Tesla is never pay full amount until you do opt for trade in. I paid full amount and then decided to do a trade in. Now Tesla owes me for my trade in. They take up to 60 days to make the payment. I added FSD and trade in after I had made the full payment. Otherwise, a trade in to Tesla is the way to go due to the saving of 7.5% sales tax (in my state - MN/Hennepin county). So even though Carvana quote was higher by 2-3%, due to saving in sales tax, Tesla's trade in is a better option. That is, as long as the payment is made after you accept the trade in quote from Tesla.

Reactions: monkee88

Two lessons:

Happy to answer an other Q's you might have about the experience. Otherwisare indeed chilling in your new Tesla.

Two lessons:

Hope you are indeed chilling in your new Tesla. i can totally see someone smiling their way home. I so much couldn’t wait that I booked another test drive last weekend and was smiling myself the whole driving time in anticipation of the new car.

Spoke to another friend who just completed one year of his Model Y last week and he was saying that his family sang a happy birthday song to their MY. I cant wait to get my hands on my MYLR. Hopefully next week. fingers crossed.

Reactions: dude chillin
Progress!! After 58 days since the last EDD change, I woke up this morning to the first two-week window! Given how my EDD has been so incredibly consistent, I'm hopeful that we eventually just keep narrowing it down to the delivery day.

My stats below:

Model Y LR, White/Black, 5 seats, 19", no tow hitch (as base as it gets)

Order Date: 9/25 (at local Tesla dealer. Website EDD during Order Date: April 2022)
Profile Completed Date: 9/27

EDD As of:

10/15: EDD February 02 - February 22 (20 days after order)
12/02: EDD February 14 - March 14th (48 days since first EDD, 68 days since OD)
01/29: EDD February 19 - March 5th (58 days since latest EDD, 126 days since OD)