Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I am thinking of cancelling FSD from my order. Will that change my place in the queue? While I do want to have FSD, adding to purchase price will increase my insurance, it will increase my registration/license tab fees for the first few years. Adding after delivery will allow me to pay by credit card and get 2% cash back. When I look up the survey Google doc on this forum, it shows only 11.5% of orders include FSD. Do you see any downsides to removing FSD now?

That's my exact build and my current EDD. Twinsies! 😁 I ordered on 9/5. I'm in VA so we are in close proximity which makes the same EDD make sense. Fate is going to decide if I get the EV Tax credit...if it actually passes.
I ordered 1 day later than you, but my EDD here in the mid-west is 2 months after your delivery. Some change over is happening at the plant. Elon must be expecting many holds if the rebate bill passes. At this stage Bernie and Machin are at each other's throats. So the bill is still many weeks away from passing.

It seems MYLR deliveries are going to be light from some 10 December to mid January. I suspect some retooling is happening for a design change over in MYLR. MYP's EDD's are not interrupted. S and X are slow due to lack of chips, particularly S, which are rolled out without a chip and as when missing parts come, deliveries are happening. I think this might be good in a way for MYLR buyers. We get to have a go at the EV rebate and there are no mass holds placed in December. Many of the MYP buyers do not want to wait and if not for the long MYLR waiting period may have not bought an MYP. Just an educated guess here seeing dates move from December to February or March. EDD's seem to be as volatile as Bitcoin prices.
Umm MYP EDD’s are interrupted. Myself having been pushed to December delivery from October and many others. Should check out the MYP thread.

Guys, I am thinking of cancelling FSD from my order. Will that change my place in the queue? While I do want to have FSD, adding to purchase price will increase my insurance, it will increase my registration/license tab fees for the first few years. Adding after delivery will allow me to pay by credit card and get 2% cash back. When I look up the survey Google doc on this forum, it shows only 11.5% of orders include FSD. Do you see any downsides to removing FSD now?
Cancel after a vin is assigned. Its a software feature, they should be able to adjust last moment.

Reactions: 45thParallel
I noticed your order date is 9/6. So this push of your EDD from December all the way to April is unprecedented! What date did you complete your profile?

I have an OD of 9/8 and completed my profile the same day - my EDD has been Dec, Oct, and is now Mar. There is no rhyme or reason to what's going on - Tesla is in chaos for making MYLR's in the next 6 months as they apparently revamp their assembly lines and turn on new factories at unknown early outputs.

OD 9/9 MYP midnight silver, black interior, no FSD and no tow.
Originally got EDD of 9/24-9/28 right away after placing order. Moved around quite a bit and now at 10/29-11/26. Hoping to get car sooner.. before it starts snowing 😅

I have an OD of 9/8 and completed my profile the same day - my EDD has been Dec, Oct, and is now Mar. There is no rhyme or reason to what's going on - Tesla is in chaos for making MYLR's in the next 6 months as they apparently revamp their assembly lines and turn on new factories at unknown early outputs.

Todays EDD jump? Now Jan 13 - Feb 03... wheeee

Since FSD can be added as a software option at any time, I'd wait (in fact, depending on details, I'd add it after purchase, making the car cost less, lower registration fees, lower insurance basis, etc)

Reactions: 45thParallel
I noticed your order date is 9/6. So this push of your EDD from December all the way to April is unprecedented! What date did you complete your profile?
I completed my profile the day I put an order. I changed the trade-in option in mid-September. I am not sure whether that affected the delivery date but I am hoping to get the car in December or early Jan.

9/7 - ordered a MYLR, Deep Blue Metallic, Black Interior, 5 seats, Gemini Wheels, No Tow, No FSD.
9/24 - I saw an EDD of "March" but that was only there for 1 day and it disappeared.
10/15 - Today is the first time I see an actual date range, but I know not to get my hopes up - it's now "Estimated Delivery: January 15 - February 04"
10/16 - it's already slipped to Jan 27 - Feb 24 :rolleyes:

We need a new, more accurate term: The HDD "Heisenburg Delivery Date" - if you dare to make an observation, it'll change state :)

From my order date of 9/8, I have observed my HDD traverse the entire range from October to April. It's currently orbiting the second half of January - I do not regard that as a stable orbit.

My date just jumped forward 3 weeks. I'm now Jan 30th-February 27th. This seems to be a complete sh*t show - I have no idea whether this will stick or whether it will move back a month by this time next week. Still, I'm happy to b moving forward - at least for now!

Ordered MYLR. white with w/b interior, tow hitch. Ordered August 26. Completed profile September 8. Just received edd of March 11 to April 10. My sa says maybe sooner. We’ll see. Waiting in So. Calif. Financing, cash, and trade. Had much trouble trying to submit app. for loan. Multiple submissions. Finally logged out of iPad and it went right through on PC.

What color and config was your order out of curiosity? I ordered 9/30 and have an EDD of 10/18 - 11/15 (It just pulled in Monday from about a month later)
MYP - Red - White - Tow - No FSD

I have read somewhere that they make these things in batches based upon color and I'm wondering if that might have had an impact.
My order is white on black.

Yes, color choice has something to do with EDD. A friend who used to work for Tesla at Fremont said the fluctuating dates are due to paint batching at the factory. Mine is still at Nov 17 to dec 17..they must be doing white paint first week of Nov.

I hope so. I actually imagine that most of us will get ours in late December/early January. No reason other than that people having their dates shift forward shortly before delivery seems common enough to suggest that the holding-place EDDs are conservatively calculated.
I suspect most people will get their cars a little sooner because some will not take delivery to get 2022 VIN

So, with all the uncertainty and confusion around MYLR deliveries from December or thereabouts on, I thought I might try to summarize all the factors/components in play with regards the cars we'll be getting. If I've missed anything or got anything wrong, dear people, by all means correct me. This is just what I've gleaned from Twitter, Youtube, and posts here.

a. Model Ys up until December would seem to be as they are now: from Fremont with 2170s and no structural battery pack. They're obviously also not using the front and rear single castings.
b. Kato Road seems to already be producing 4680s at some volume. They don't seem to be being produced currently at Giga Nevada
c. It seems that sometime (Xmas? start of 2022? mid 2022?) Fremont will retool the Model Y production line to include 4680s in the structural pack.
d. It doesn't seem that this switch will dramatically increase MY range. Rather, fewer batteries will be used, making the car lighter + more efficient. As well as the higher energy density, the 4680s will charge faster.
e. There's been talk of a MY range increase for months (and we went to 82kwh packs sometime around March 21), so it wouldn't be a surprise to see the MYLR increase range to 345 or something like that (from 326).
f. Giga Austin may start with 2170s in the structural battery pack before switching to 4680s. From what we can tell, the structural packs will be used with the front and rear castings from the start.
g. Giga Austin will have all the tools for far more precise construction/build quality than Fremont, but whether that will be apparent in the initial production ramp with all its bugs and glitches seems somewhat doubtful. EM has said in the past that the initial ramp up is the worst period for car quality.
h. There could well be a period where the MYs from Fremont and Texas feature different batteries (for example: Austin doing 4680s while Fremont continues with 2170s or even vice versa) and the structural pack or not, and whether you get one or the other may just be down to dumb luck. I can't imagine we'd be given the opportunity to choose, as nobody would want the 2170 Ys.
i. There is a ridiculous amount of contingencies at play here in relation to what version of the MY we all get...

I think this covers most things/rumors/uncertainties? I'm curious if September order folks would rather wait for MYs from Austin, or are prepared to wait significantly for 4680s, or whether you'd actually prefer the predictability (and hopefully shorter wait) that comes with a Fremont build.

Last edited: