Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ODD 09/29/2021
Estimated delivery as of 11/12/2021 is 11/29/2021 - 12/27/2021
Red Model Y Performsnce, white interior, tow hitch, no FSD
Delivery area is Los Angeles.

Tesla called me last week asking how i has enjoying my new car! seems they mistakenly thought I had taken possession. Sadness.

history of EDD:
10/08/2021: EDD 11/09/2021 - 12/07/2021
10/11/2021: EDD 10/19/2021 - 11/16/2021 Nice!
10/19/2021: EDD 10/23/2021 - 11/16/2021
10/24/2021: EDD 10/27/2021 - 11/17/2021
10/27/2021: EDD 10/27/2021 - 11/08/2021 Yippie!
10/28/2021: EDD 12/20/2021 - 12/31/2021 Sadness
10/31/2021: EDD 11/29/2021 - 12/27/2021 Hopeful
EDD is still 11/29/2021 - 12/27/2021 but Tesla texted today asking if I wanted to setup a trade-in. I supplied my 2013 Volt’s VIN and Tesla texted back that they’d be interested in the vehicle and to use the Tesla app to supply photos. However, I opted to not trade-in with Tesla since a friend seems interested in buying it. Would be nice too see my old Volt once in a while. Lol.

Reactions: pgcoco
If I'm more than willing to take delivery before 2021 due to not qualifying for EV rebate, how can I communicate this and potentially move up? Ordered online so no assigned SA, my EDD is jan to feb 2022
I ordered online as well. When I called a local dealer to ask a question about something, the sales person I spoke with, once he realized I ordered online, asked if he could send a couple emails outlining the whole process and useful links. I now have a sales associate to contact if needed. You may want to reach out to a local Tesla sales room just for contact info if needed.

There may be a retro active date is what I’ve heard. I have not read this recent bill however
BBB Bill that passed the house has no retro-active provision. The tax credit only applies to EVs delivered either on Jan. 1, 2022 or later -or- when the BBB bill is signed by the President and becomes law: whichever comes LATER. So in either case no tax credits for Teslas delivered in 2021.

BBB Bill that passed the house has no retro-active provision. The tax credit only applies to EVs delivered either on Jan. 1, 2022 or later -or- when the BBB bill is signed by the President and becomes law: whichever comes LATER. So in either case no tax credits for Teslas delivered in 2021.
In the house bill passed last week, it goes into effect Jan 1, 2022, even if it is signed later. There is no “whichever comes later” written in the bill.

Not true. Tesla will qualify for $8K credit under the house bill.
Confirmed. As written in the house bill, the Model Y would qualify for $8k starting Jan 1 2022.

Senate language has been different, and yes there's another chunk of money currently being reserved for "union" shops, which is total crap but political reality. It's not at all clear if ANY bill will converge by end of year, and if so what terms it will have. I rate it 50/50 we get something resembling the $8k with a $300k income cap.

In the house bill passed last week, it goes into effect Jan 1, 2022, even if it is signed later. There is no “whichever comes later” written in the bill.
That appears to be correct even though a couple of online summaries indicated it would be the either Jan 1, 2022 or date the bill became law, whichever was later.

The text of the house bill that was passed includes the following:

e) New Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle.--For
purposes of this section--
``(1) In general.--The term `new qualified plug-in electric
drive motor vehicle' means a motor vehicle--
``(A) the original use of which commences with the
taxpayer,
``(B) which is acquired for use by the taxpayer and
not for resale,
``(C) which is made by a qualified manufacturer,
``(D) which is treated as a motor vehicle for
purposes of title II of the Clean Air Act,
``(E) which has a gross vehicle weight rating of
less than 14,000 pounds,
``(F) which is propelled to a significant extent by
an electric motor which draws electricity from a
battery which--
``(i) has a capacity of--
``(I) in the case of a vehicle
placed in service in 2022 or 2023, not
less than 7 kilowatt hours, and
``(II) in the case of a vehicle
placed in service after 2023, not less
than 10 kilowatt hours, and
``(ii) is capable of being recharged from
an external source of electricity,
``(G) for which, in the case of a vehicle placed
into service after December 31, 2026, final assembly is
within the United States, and
``(H) is not of a character subject to an allowance
for depreciation.
``(2) Motor vehicle.--The term `motor vehicle' means any
vehicle which is manufactured primarily for use on public
streets, roads, and highways (not including a vehicle operated
exclusively on a rail or rails) and which has at least 4
wheels.
``(3) Qualified manufacturer.--The term `qualified
manufacturer' means any manufacturer (within the meaning of the
regulations prescribed by the Administrator of the
Environmental Protection Agency for purposes of the
administration of title II of the Clean Air Act (42 U.S.C. 7521
et seq.) which enters into a written agreement with the
Secretary under which such manufacturer agrees--
``(A) to ensure that each vehicle manufactured by
such manufacturer after the later of the date on which
such agreement takes effect or December 31, 2021, and
that meets the requirements of subparagraphs (D), (E),
and (F) of paragraph (1) and paragraph (6) of
subsection (e) is labeled with a unique vehicle
identification number, and........"

Then in a later section of the bill it includes:

"Sec. 36C. New qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.''.
(e) Effective Dates.--
(1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of
this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December
31, 2021.
(2) The amendments made by subsection (b) shall apply to
vehicles purchased or leased after December 31, 2022."

The full text of HR 5376 can be found at:

Last edited:
The “or later” text you are referencing is a requirement for the manufacturers to label qualified cars with a unique VIN, which could be why Tesla changed its VIN scheme earlier this year. It doesn’t mean that only those cars with the new VIN are qualified for the credit. Otherwise, who would buy the older cars if he newer ones were suddenly $8K cheaper. You need to look at the “effective date” to see when the bill goes into effect, which you’ve done.

By the way, you’re linking to the September version of the bill. The one that was voted on is the November version, which has some important changes such as reduced income limits. Here is that version: