Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Union provision was dropped, Model Y as an domestic SUV under $69000 MSRP would qualify for 12,500. And there is a point of sale option, but it would seem you will have to show your previous year's tax form to prove your adjusted gross income. Also, the dates are either the bill becomes law, or Dec.31, which ever is LATER.
Land rush of delayed deliveries past the 4th QTR ....
Where are you seeing this. This is what I read.

- Income limitations at $800k joint/$400k individual.
- Capped at MSRPS of: $55k (Car); $64k (Van); $69k (SUV); $74k (Truck)
- Effective in 2022
- Base Credit of $4000
- Additional $3500 for batteries >40kWh (and a tiny gas tank)
- Additional $4500 for domestic unionized assembly
- Additional $500 for domestic batteries
- Expires 2031
- Can be point-of-sale after 2022

From today: https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-17.pdf

Reactions: Shocker
I'm taking delivery of my MYLR regardless of bill status or model year. (I'm getting a 2021 according to my VIN.) There's no guarantee that the bill passes and who knows how long it will take to get a 2022 if I put my order in hold. There's tons of people waiting many many months for an order with no end in sight who would love to have their MY right now. The Tesla gods have looked favorably on me for some reason I don't understand and thus I'm not turning down the opportunity to have the car I wanted delivered in less than 2 months. I look at it this way: I did not place the order with the requirement that there was a tax rebate or that I would be getting anything other than a 2021. Fate has spoken and I'm going to take advantage of the here and now.
Oh, I'd do the same if I was getting it in the next month. Once we get to December, I'd be inclined to wait, if possible. But, yes, if I were lucky enough to be in your shoes, I'd be doing the exact same thing! You have to post photos when you take delivery!

Reactions: scoobybri
So basically nobody will be taking delivery of a Model Y until May of 2022 or whenever the bill finally gets passed. Seems a fun logistics problem for Tesla to deal with... :oops:o_O

I believe due to this being a "reconciliation bill" it must either be passed, or abandoned rather soon - it's basically legislating by updating the existing budget plan, and the coming election and fiscal year will close the opportunity.

Given how much the Dem's need this as a "win" to show to their constituents, I suspect they will rant and rave and agree to something, and that something appears to be converging around the centerpiece of clean-power that includes our pet electric car credit.

$0.02

Reactions: Tararua
I'm taking delivery of my MYLR regardless of bill status or model year. (I'm getting a 2021 according to my VIN.) There's no guarantee that the bill passes and who knows how long it will take to get a 2022 if I put my order in hold. There's tons of people waiting many many months for an order with no end in sight who would love to have their MY right now. The Tesla gods have looked favorably on me for some reason I don't understand and thus I'm not turning down the opportunity to have the car I wanted delivered in less than 2 months. I look at it this way: I did not place the order with the requirement that there was a tax rebate or that I would be getting anything other than a 2021. Fate has spoken and I'm going to take advantage of the here and now.
Hell yeah! 100% agree with you. While everybody waits for the tax credit to go into effect (who knows when that’ll be) I’ll be with my new Model Y.

Reactions: scoobybri
Receiving delivery in October-November is not an issue. But getting it in December is like throwing away $8K. Those of us in the flyover land pushed to February to accommodate Hertz might get our deliveries sooner. That said Elon should use the plant capacity to accelerate deliveries to Canada and Hertz in December.

Receiving delivery in October-November is not an issue. But getting it in December is like throwing away $8K. Those of us in the flyover land pushed to February to accommodate Hertz might get our deliveries sooner. That said Elon should use the plant capacity to accelerate deliveries to Canada and Hertz in December.
Can you imagine having placed a M3 order before the Hertz news? You've placed an order for an EV that's about the equivalent of a Mercedes A-Class, and then with a rental fleet order for 100K vehicles, suddenly your M3 is the electric equivalent of a Toyota Corolla. Land at an airport and you'll see two dozen of them waiting in the rental car lot. I would be pissed...

- Income limitations at $800k joint/$400k individual.
- Capped at MSRPS of: $55k (Car); $64k (Van); $69k (SUV); $74k (Truck)
- Effective in 2022
- Base Credit of $4000
- Additional $3500 for batteries >40kWh (and a tiny gas tank)
- Additional $4500 for domestic unionized assembly
- Additional $500 for domestic batteries
- Expires 2031
- Can be point-of-sale after 2022

From today: https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-117HR5376RH-RCP117-17.pdf
Correct, Tesla doesn't qualify for domestic assembly, unless the Senators from CA, TX, NV wake up and make it change. The effective dates clause is extremely unclear to the layman as to what it covers, making point of sale effective in 2023 is as good as explanation as I have seen. Thanks.

Reactions: 45thParallel
Can you imagine having placed a M3 order before the Hertz news? You've placed an order for an EV that's about the equivalent of a Mercedes A-Class, and then with a rental fleet order for 100K vehicles, suddenly your M3 is the electric equivalent of a Toyota Corolla. Land at an airport and you'll see two dozen of them waiting in the rental car lot. I would be pissed...
Go to Europe. There are tons of Mercedes rental cars everywhere.

It's not like Hertz is renting them for the price of a Corolla. You are paying premium rental price for an M3.

Go to Europe. There are tons of Mercedes rental cars everywhere.

It's not like Hertz is renting them for the price of a Corolla. You are paying premium rental price for an M3.
I'm an academic and I spend my summers (and parts of my winters) in Europe doing research and traveling. Or at least I did before Covid. I'm well aware of the rental market there. And I'm talking about the rental car market here, not in Europe. You'd be lucky to find 2K Daimler Benz in any US fleet, let alone 100K. Like 45thParallel, I'm less than thrilled about being elbowed aside from my place in the queue in favor of a rental order that begins delivery in November. This is a shitty way to treat customers with existing orders.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: FJ60LC and 82bert
I'm an academic and I spend my summers (and parts of my winters) in Europe doing research and traveling. Or at least I did before Covid. I'm well aware of the rental market there, thanks. And I'm talking about the rental car market here, not in Europe. You'd be lucky to find 2K Daimler Benz in any US fleet, let alone 100K. Like 45thParallel, I'm less than thrilled about being elbowed aside from my place in the queue in favor of a rental order that begins delivery in November. This is a shitty way to treat customers with existing orders.
I guess I just don't care if my model car is in a rental fleet. It doesn't take away from the fact that it is the best in class EV which is why I bought one

I guess I just don't care if my model car is in a rental fleet. It doesn't take away from the fact that it is the best in class EV which is why I bought one
Fair enough. I'm sure our MYs will be part of someone's fleet in the near future! With regards the M3, I'm probably more annoyed by Hertz being allowed to pass all these pre-existing orders by going straight to the front of the line. M3SR EDDs are currently at August, 2022, I think? If I'd placed an order on a M3SR in early September instead of my MYLR, I'd now be looking at a May-June delivery. And the reasons for the delay are clear. There's probably 50K Hertz vehicles that have been moved ahead of me in the line since I ordered...

Correct, Tesla doesn't qualify for domestic assembly, unless the Senators from CA, TX, NV wake up and make it change. The effective dates clause is extremely unclear to the layman as to what it covers, making point of sale effective in 2023 is as good as explanation as I have seen. Thanks.
Both CA and NY Senators did not care to roll back SALT exemptions that Trump put that mainly impacted Blue states. They are definitely not going to worry about Tesla the way Manchin protects the coal industry.

Got an email this morning from Tesla, just peeked at the preview and it said “Prepare For…” and I got a bit excited. Then once I opened the email I saw the rest of the subject line “… Winter with Solar”. Sometimes I think they’re just toying with us.

EDD still Jan 24 - Feb 21
Kinda like a kid opening a large Christmas present, and then finding something small/insignificant to him/her:). Your OD and EDD fall in line w my OD and current EDD. I'm not getting my hopes up but will be pretty happy to get that real "prepare for....your order" email

If the bill does pass (which seems more likely each day, even with the separate spending bill being held up), I agree - very few people are going to want their deliveries in December. This is going to be a mess.
I totally agree with you and in a limbo as well. I placed my order on Sept 5 and my EDD is Dec 24-Dec 31. I am sure I will get a car in the EOQ rush but at the same time I don't want to loose my EV credit just couple of days shy of being effective. If I put it on hold, no idea how long the wait would be? If I don't, and take delivery a week before the ev credit goes active I loose $10k. Not able to make up my mind. Its a hard decision. lol