Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to agree that the EDD system is seriously messed up, and it makes it difficult for customers to plan for the arrival of their car. On top of this, Tesla is now canceling orders this month for customers who ordered earlier in the year, but can’t pick up their car in December. That’s pretty inflexible, especially when the car becomes available for only 3 days, which can overlap with travel plans. They could do better, but won’t as long as their loyal fan base puts up with it.
There is a huge difference between speaking with your delivery/service center to work around your travel within a reasonable window vs saying “I can’t do the entire month of December”.

We’ve had 3 cars delivered and twice we had to alter the delivery dates with no problem. Again, I didn’t ask for a month later, but rather 7-10 days later. To expect Tesla to put your delivery on hold for several weeks to months is ludicrous.

Of course, the alternative is to go to a legacy dealership and buy a car off the lot. Personally, I’ll pass on that.

My experience with Tesla customer service has been phenomenal. I get the anxiety and anticipation of delivery and everything that comes along with that, but ordering a custom vehicle directly from a now mass production auto company is still a privilege in my mind. I’m happy to avoid dealerships and the headaches, markups and nonsense associated with them.

There is a huge difference between speaking with your delivery/service center to work around your travel within a reasonable window vs saying “I can’t do the entire month of December”.

We’ve had 3 cars delivered and twice we had to alter the delivery dates with no problem. Again, I didn’t ask for a month later, but rather 7-10 days later. To expect Tesla to put your delivery on hold for several weeks to months is ludicrous.

Of course, the alternative is to go to a legacy dealership and buy a car off the lot. Personally, I’ll pass on that.

My experience with Tesla customer service has been phenomenal. I get the anxiety and anticipation of delivery and everything that comes along with that, but ordering a custom vehicle directly from a now mass production auto company is still a privilege in my mind. I’m happy to avoid dealerships and the headaches, markups and nonsense associated with them.
There are plenty of people who will go on vacation for an entire month or travel to a different state in the winter months, so no, I don’t think it unreasonable for someone to say they can’t take delivery in December. This is a big reason Tesla’s hold system exists, and it works when Tesla honors it. I doubt a hold system would be needed if Tesla could accurately predict a delivery date, but they can’t. Instead, people are trying to make their plans around fake EDDs which can change daily by months at a time.

I’m constantly amazed how many apologists there are on this forum who excuse bad service from Tesla, and then follow that with a “what about <insert other car brand>.” For sure Tesla gets a lot of things right, but they also get a lot of things wrong like their EDD system, and they’ll never fix it if no one calls them out. “Thank you sir, may I have another!”

My Update: OD Sept 6, EDD has ranged from Oct to June... currently Dec 15-30 No VIN. MYLR Blue with 20" - no other options.

We're all a bit frazzled from the EDD dance and the uncertainty of if/when there might be Tax Rebate action in DC.

Hang in there - the cars are wonderful regardless. I'm keeping my sanity by just knowing I'm fine with what I ordered, it'll be here soon enough, and I can afford it straight up, the possible tax rebates are just a bonus since we already locked in much-cheaper-than-today prices with our Sept orders.

There are plenty of people who will go on vacation for an entire month or travel to a different state in the winter months, so no, I don’t think it unreasonable for someone to say they can’t take delivery in December. This is a big reason Tesla’s hold system exists, and it works when Tesla honors it. I doubt a hold system would be needed if Tesla could accurately predict a delivery date, but they can’t. Instead, people are trying to make their plans around fake EDDs which can change daily by months at a time.

I’m constantly amazed how many apologists there are on this forum who excuse bad service from Tesla, and then follow that with a “what about <insert other car brand>.” For sure Tesla gets a lot of things right, but they also get a lot of things wrong like their EDD system, and they’ll never fix it if no one calls them out. “Thank you sir, may I have another!”
Not an apologist or a fanboi (which is no different than calling any Tesla critic a teslaq member and purely inflammatory), just a realist.

I have zero expectations for any mass production auto company to cater to me in the way you’re requesting. Bentley, Lamborghini, Ferrari…sure.

Reactions: Krobbler
Also no fanboi here. In fact, swore up and down I'd never own a Tesla yet here I am, waiting in line and really impatient to get mine.

I'm a nerd so I think the EDD problem is really interesting. I'm betting that on the whole, the delivery month stated at the time of order is fairly accurate. Tesla knows the factory output, they know the order backlog, they have financial forecasts based on these deliveries, and they have supply chain costs and timing estimates to meet these delivery forecasts. I believe these factors are highly predictable and don't vary much. But which exact car comes out when could be a nightmare to predict. Especially as Tesla tries to optimize every facet of the supply chain, manufacture, and delivery process.

I don't read the AUG or OCT delivery threads but I wonder if this SEP group has more volatility with people jockeying for position to take advantage of even a possible tax credit.

And finally, demanding a customer take delivery at the last minute over a holiday is complete *sugar* in my opinion. Hopefully, the service reps will be reasonable if that happens over the next few weeks.

Also no fanboi here. In fact, swore up and down I'd never own a Tesla yet here I am, waiting in line and really impatient to get mine.

I'm a nerd so I think the EDD problem is really interesting. I'm betting that on the whole, the delivery month stated at the time of order is fairly accurate. Tesla knows the factory output, they know the order backlog, they have financial forecasts based on these deliveries, and they have supply chain costs and timing estimates to meet these delivery forecasts. I believe these factors are highly predictable and don't vary much. But which exact car comes out when could be a nightmare to predict. Especially as Tesla tries to optimize every facet of the supply chain, manufacture, and delivery process.

I don't read the AUG or OCT delivery threads but I wonder if this SEP group has more volatility with people jockeying for position to take advantage of even a possible tax credit.

And finally, demanding a customer take delivery at the last minute over a holiday is complete *sugar* in my opinion. Hopefully, the service reps will be reasonable if that happens over the next few weeks.
Remember a lot of people put their orders on hold, cancel the order, etc which adds another layer of complexity. Some of the people on here have 2+ orders that they are holding onto and taking the first one that is available. What a mess. It’s the reason I would like to see a 1k non refundable deposit on each order….

With so many holds in place and cancellations by Tesla, so many people are ready to take the car. I am so looking forward to my VIN and will take it as soon as I can get it. I am still being positive and believe that all the Sept orders will be delivered by EOQ push.

Does anyone know what is the current VIN # range going on?
I got my VIN less then 2 weeks ago. It's NF315

Reactions: Michael Y 2020

except... we can’t predict the Senate, Tesla can’t, Elon cant. It is about to go crazy for Tesla orders, on hold and not, as the arguing over the bill extends into January and all these people on Jan. 1 holds start to flip out because they are out of options except to simply back out of their orders or take delivery.
Tesla despite the whining over the long term orders being told they have to take delivery, hasn’t played hardball yet. if it starts to look like not only does no one want to take delivery in December but aslo January they will have to play hardball. The company cant go months with orders on the books but no takers.

except... we can’t predict the Senate, Tesla can’t, Elon cant. It is about to go crazy for Tesla orders, on hold and not, as the arguing over the bill extends into January and all these people on Jan. 1 holds start to flip out because they are out of options except to simply back out of their orders or take delivery.
Tesla despite the whining over the long term orders being told they have to take delivery, hasn’t played hardball yet. if it starts to look like not only does no one want to take delivery in December but aslo January they will have to play hardball. The company cant go months with orders on the books but no takers.
Except that this thread shows quite plainly that there is no shortage of takers. There are probably a dozen people just here who'd take delivery at the first opportunity in December and damn the torpedoes. That's reiterated in Model 3 threads, etc. Tesla's recent wave of 2-3 month EDD delays isn't being driven by people postponing orders (otherwise all of us listed for December a week back and keen to take deliver would still be listed for December). It's simply because Tesla hasn't invested the resources to design a system that comes close to working.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45thParallel