Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September 2021 Order Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'm in the same situation.
I decided that I'll just keep updating my trade-in on the Tesla site, since I only need to give the the updated odometer reading. Then when my new Tesla is finally ready, I'll already have Tesla's latest trade-in number, so I can compare to Carmax, Vroom, etc and decide then what I'll do with my old car.
Yes, you can have the trade in changed to yes as you get close. Your SA can do that for
I went ahead and updated the odometer reading for the trade-in for my order, as SkyDog suggested. I'll see what the new offer is, but my guess it will stilll be way below the CarMax offer I got a month ago which was $4K more than the original Tesla trade-in offer.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
I got my vin on Wednesday but no delivery date yet. I used to open the app once or twice a day before but now I’m refreshing every 30 mins and calling Tesla sales everyday. The vin to deliver wait making me feel pathetic. I live less than 10 miles away from Fremont and I’m not sure what’s taking them so long.
Even though your OD is 9/8, you deserve it. A 7-seater and red color run in infrequent batches and cost more than a base MYP. You also have an FSD. For that amount of MSRP, you should be a top priority for Tesla:)

Reactions: Jaycscherer
I went ahead and updated the odometer reading for the trade-in for my order, as SkyDog suggested. I'll see what the new offer is, but my guess it will stilll be way below the CarMax offer I got a month ago which was $4K more than the original Tesla trade-in offer.
Ditto on my difference trade in $ bwtn CarMax and Tesla. I'm just hoping to line up the stars to sell my current ride to Carmax in the AM and have a friend taxi my rear end to pick up my Tesla in the afternoon.

Ditto on my difference trade in $ bwtn CarMax and Tesla. I'm just hoping to line up the stars to sell my current ride to Carmax in the AM and have a friend taxi my rear end to pick up my Tesla in the afternoon.
Not sure why anyone would give up $4-6K difference in trade in value Tesla vs Carmax, etc. unless it happens to make sense on the sales tax side. For me, when I last figured it, the sales tax difference was $2K so $2K-4K better off to go to Carmax.

Those of you who are keeping your trade ins, loan info alive, I would suggest you just change to cash and figure those things out when you actually have a VIN. EDDs fly around so much that the odds are however the numbers crunch out now, trade in values and interest rates will change by the time you get your car, unless it is next week.

Not sure why anyone would give up $4-6K difference in trade in value Tesla vs Carmax, etc. unless it happens to make sense on the sales tax side. For me, when I last figured it, the sales tax difference was $2K so $2K-4K better off to go to Carmax.

Those of you who are keeping your trade ins, loan info alive, I would suggest you just change to cash and figure those things out when you actually have a VIN. EDDs fly around so much that the odds are however the numbers crunch out now, trade in values and interest rates will change by the time you get your car, unless it is next week.
The Tesla delivery center (also sales and service center) is less then 2 miles from my house and Carmax is about another 1.5 miles beyond that (on the same street). So, it's really convenient to deal with either one when it comes to selling or trading in my existing car. Here in FL the sales tax is charged based on the difference in the new vehicle purchase price minus the trade-in allowed. In my case this would result in a little over $1K in tax savings in traded-in my car to Tesla but if Carmax offers more than that (their offer about a month ago was $4K more than Tesla) then clearly selling to Carmax is the way to go.

Hah. I installed my wall charger in October. OD was September. EDD February...
Same for us here. I sure like just staring at the wall connector, it's so pretty. If only there was a car to connect it to. I am jealous of your EDD though.....

I even ordered a vinyl cut Elon Signature to put on the charger, so now I have an Elon Signature special....ha!

Same for us here. I sure like just staring at the wall connector, it's so pretty. If only there was a car to connect it to. I am jealous of your EDD though.....

I even ordered a vinyl cut Elon Signature to put on the charger, so now I have an Elon Signature special....ha!
I too have been watching the green light every time I drive into my garage. But with the massive push back in dates, I decided to switch off the breaker in my breaker box. The green light just reminds me I could be still months away from actually getting to use it.

The Tesla delivery center (also sales and service center) is less then 2 miles from my house and Carmax is about another 1.5 miles beyond that (on the same street). So, it's really convenient to deal with either one when it comes to selling or trading in my existing car. Here in FL the sales tax is charged based on the difference in the new vehicle purchase price minus the trade-in allowed. In my case this would result in a little over $1K in tax savings in traded-in my car to Tesla but if Carmax offers more than that (their offer about a month ago was $4K more than Tesla) then clearly selling to Carmax is the way to go.
A quick question. Carmax gives quotes wholly online right or do you plan to drive there and request a quote? I presume they come and pick it up? Not having a Carmax close by would not matter then, right?

A quick question. Carmax gives quotes wholly online right or do you plan to drive there and request a quote? I presume they come and pick it up? Not having a Carmax close by would not matter then, right?
I was able to get a full quote for previous cars I’ve had totally online from Carmax. When I was shopping around to sell our Venza, the online quote said that I’d have to bring it in for an in person appraisal. When I called to ask why, they said it’s because their system takes an average of all models they’ve sold like yours recently. So I guess it can just depend on the model you’re getting a quote for.

I was able to get a full quote for previous cars I’ve had totally online from Carmax. When I was shopping around to sell our Venza, the online quote said that I’d have to bring it in for an in person appraisal. When I called to ask why, they said it’s because their system takes an average of all models they’ve sold like yours recently. So I guess it can just depend on the model you’re getting a quote for.
Thanks. I just checked and found there is a Carmax dealership just 12 minutes drive from my home. I still have months before my car leaves for a new home.

Happy update - After bouncing to March, my EDD has returned to 12/14 - 12/27

I believe there's a pattern here where Tesla is basically re-working their waiting list, they briefly pop people out (to the back of the list) and then re-insert them in a more specific forward slot. So if others get the seeming-4-month-punt, be patient, those often work out a few days later

OD 9/13/21
My Edd Jan 7-feb7
Just moved to Feb24 Mar24
🤔 does not matter to me but I love to speculate. Well it does matter as it is replacing my wife’s crappy Hundai Elantra. We already have a gen 1 model s.
Parts issue or Austin ramp
Yet you would think Austin will keep delivery local till ramped up to high rate
I am in Los Angeles.
Hmmm based on above post maybe I will pop back to Jan in a few days 😂

Last edited:
I got the quote online but I assume I will take the car there when I'm ready to sell it. after getting a new online quote. I do have a couple of things that might raise the price a little but cannot be reported on Carmax's online tool. First I have the GM Protection Plan (extended warranty) that's good until April 2023 and is transferrable to a new owner. Second, I have a spare tire/jack/etc.l that was added a year so after I purchased the car. GM sells this a dealer installed accessory that costs on the order of $500. Who knows, perhaps Carmax will be willing to pay a little extra for these if I take the car into a Carmax location.

Woke up to my EDD changing from mid-Jan/mid-Feb to 12/17-12/27! I had complained a week or so ago here that the EDD slipped from the last week in December to mid-Jan/mid-Feb. What a wild ride this has been. Hard to believe I could have it this Friday! Good luck to all of you.
I see you have 2 orders in September. One is 6th September or 7th (in 2 messages you used different dates) and second one is 9/19. I am seeing a very early trend here. An FSD option is expediting orders. I think Tesla wants to fund the FSD unit and the less than 5% take up of FSD is not enough to fund the resources to build up FSD. You are the second person in 1 week who got expedited and FSD is the only common link. Anyway, enjoy your car! What are you going to do with your second order?

I see you have 2 orders in September. One is 6th September or 7th (in 2 messages you used different dates) and second one is 9/19. I am seeing a very early trend here. An FSD option is expediting orders. I think Tesla wants to fund the FSD unit and the less than 5% take up of FSD is not enough to fund the resources to build up FSD. You are the second person in 1 week who got expedited and FSD is the only common link. Anyway, enjoy your car! What are you going to do with your second order?
Yes, I have two orders, both with FSD. The one I ordered on 9/19 has an EDD of 1/21-2/18. The second car is a surprise gift for my daughter.