Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September Deliveries - Quality Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

talhas3

Licensed Real Estate Salesperson Rochester NY, NJ
Jul 2, 2014
Rochester NY
How’s the QC so far for people who have taken delivery in September? My VIN is 269xxx. Taking delivery this coming Sunday at Mt Kisco.

I will have a checklist with me but I wanna make sure I’m keeping certain things in mind that others have experienced so far in September.

Thanks folks

How’s the QC so far for people who have taken delivery in September? My VIN is 269xxx. Taking delivery this coming Sunday at Mt Kisco.

I will have a checklist with me but I wanna make sure I’m keeping certain things in mind that others have experienced so far in September.

Thanks folks
My MYLR is 260xxx, having taken delivery on the 14th. There were very light surface scratches that easily buffed out (I had a friend do it with a polishing compound and a rag). No noticeable panel gap issues. One of the headlights protrudes forward and the other is flush - it wasn’t enough for me to complain about, as I’m worried they’d take off the entire front end and possibly cause more issues in doing so. The trunk is flush on the right-hand side, and about 5mm indented on the left-hand side, again not a big deal to me.

the largest glaring issue is a 1mm white strip on the driver side door jam, where it looks like the clear coat cracked after drying. I plan to use a touch up pen to color over this, as I don’t want them to repaint the entire door and have the color not blend with the rest of the car, or the paint be thicker in that area compared to elsewhere.

Took delivery of my M3LR 2 days ago. Panel gaps and door alignments were spot on. Had a few small scratches that can't be buffed out that will need to be fixed. Taillight alignment off on both sides. Side mirror cover/panels not glued on properly. Passenger seat rattles when going over bumps. Lots of little stupid things that should never had gotten past decent QC. But considering the QC horror stories I've seen here, I'm about 95% satisfied with the condition of the car on delivery.

Took delivery of my M3LR 2 days ago. Panel gaps and door alignments were spot on. Had a few small scratches that can't be buffed out that will need to be fixed. Taillight alignment off on both sides. Side mirror cover/panels not glued on properly. Passenger seat rattles when going over bumps. Lots of little stupid things that should never had gotten past decent QC. But considering the QC horror stories I've seen here, I'm about 95% satisfied with the condition of the car on delivery.
So did you already inform them about these issues? I’ve heard you have to inform them within 100 miles. Is that correct?

So did you already inform them about these issues? I’ve heard you have to inform them within 100 miles. Is that correct?
I think that is the case. My SA just had me create a service appointment with all of the issues in a single service ticket when I came home from delivery. The earliest I could get in was 9 days after delivery so the M3 will be showing up with more than 100 miles on it. (It's a 65 mile round trip to the SC from my house.) What sucks is that I want to get PPF on the front end of the car ASAP but have to wait until they fix a paint issue on the bumper. So I'm avoiding highways at the moment so I don't end up with chips in the bumper before the PPF goes on. It's killing me that I can't drive the car everywhere until next week. Ugh!

Pasting my comment from yesterday:

Was able to take delivery today! It was a home delivery even though I selected pickup at first. Window was 12-4pm, but no sign of the car at 4. I contacted my SA and she said they deliver until they are done with all the cars scheduled for that day.

I heard a quiet "whirrrr" noise at around 5pm and there aren't any other Teslas on my street. I went down and saw the guy drop off the vehicle.

Got to go over the car and play around with it at 5:30pm as I was getting bit by those stupid ankle biter mosquitoes in my area.

Unfortunately there are some issues.

1. Front headlight has a gap with a panel that the other side does not have.
  2. Rear tail light has a gap with the trunk that the other side does not have.
  3. Driver side pillar column thing has a wider gap than passenger side.
    1. This is the pillar column thing going to the trunk hatch
  4. A plastic cover fell off of the second row seat adjustment handles (I have a 3rd row).
    1. Update - I fixed this by snapping it back in
  5. Definitely some low frequency noises/boominess coming from the rear of the vehicle.
    1. Update - drove around today and it seemed a bit better
  6. Some other miscellaneous things.
But overall I'm happy with the car!! I have a service appt for the 14th of October (yikes!). I've made some of the adjustments to the trunk stoppers and the low frequency noises/boominess has improved a bit, but not all the way. I've only got 30 miles on it though so there's literally been no break in period yet.

Reactions: talhas3
I took delivery on the 12th. No gaps or other major issues like panel alignment. The door seals don’t line up on one of the doors, you can see the paint underneath. I have a service appointment to check it.

While cleaning underneath the car, there’s just a bunch of small blemishes or jagged edges wherever the paint meets the plastic trim. Not sure if it’s a painting issue or assembly issue. Ultimately it’s out of sight out of mind, but may drive some people crazy.

DCCFA44D-320A-4C4B-9278-D56E70689018.jpeg

Attachments

• 655DB84F-EB87-4A72-8E02-559B590D26E7.jpeg
    655DB84F-EB87-4A72-8E02-559B590D26E7.jpeg
    379.3 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: talhas3
Just got my MYP in Los Angeles! By and large the quality seems good enough. Yes there are minor asymmetries where a gap on one side is ever-so-slightly narrower than on the other, but nothing that would raise any normal human's eyebrow. Paint and wheels look to be healthy. If I notice anything else I'll update.

The only issue was that when the delivery guy parked it he turned the hazard lights on. I then pull the car into my garage and spent 10 minutes looking through the menus to turn them off before discovering the overhead button by the mirror... which didn't turn them off. Also the little push-button LED spotlights wouldn't turn on. Clearly something was wrong, so I called Service. They told me to hold down the steering wheel buttons to reboot the system, and that did indeed fix the problem. Still, not the finest first impression.

Anyway, enough complaints. Time to go for a ride. 😈

Just got my MYP in Los Angeles! By and large the quality seems good enough. Yes there are minor asymmetries where a gap on one side is ever-so-slightly narrower than on the other, but nothing that would raise any normal human's eyebrow. Paint and wheels look to be healthy. If I notice anything else I'll update.

The only issue was that when the delivery guy parked it he turned the hazard lights on. I then pull the car into my garage and spent 10 minutes looking through the menus to turn them off before discovering the overhead button by the mirror... which didn't turn them off. Also the little push-button LED spotlights wouldn't turn on. Clearly something was wrong, so I called Service. They told me to hold down the steering wheel buttons to reboot the system, and that did indeed fix the problem. Still, not the finest first impression.

Anyway, enough complaints. Time to go for a ride. 😈
Congrats. Thanks. I'll update here later tonight as I'm picking up the car in 2 hours.

Upon closer inspection, there's definitely a few minor interior issues which, though easily fixed, definitely shouldn't have made it past QC. Seems like some kind of plastic sealing around the roof that got torn away. and some bits remain. Some sticker residue on the passenger side window. Photos attached.

Also the hazard lights issue as shown up again, where now they won't turn on, nor will the push-button dome lights or the vanity lights in the sunshade mirrors.

1632767329613.jpeg

1632767388590.jpeg

1632767430011.jpeg

I took delivery on the 12th. No gaps or other major issues like panel alignment. The door seals don’t line up on one of the doors, you can see the paint underneath. I have a service appointment to check it.

While cleaning underneath the car, there’s just a bunch of small blemishes or jagged edges wherever the paint meets the plastic trim. Not sure if it’s a painting issue or assembly issue. Ultimately it’s out of sight out of mind, but may drive some people crazy.

View attachment 713841
Hi, I have this but worse I posted this in the M3 section.

I took delivery yesterday at Mt Kisco NY. They were quite busy. When I took delivery of my Model S in 2017, it was a more intimate experience as the car was inside the showroom to say. Yesterday they had so many deliveries that all cars were parked outside and owners had to find their car and go through it upon finding it.

I didn’t really see many issues. I saw some pieces of plastic sticking out from the overhead roof. I just pulled it and took it out. Not a big deal. For the most part panel gaps were fine.

There were some dirty marks on the seats which they cleaned up. Cars don’t come with PPF or mud flaps installed btw. Only for Canada 🇨🇦 I was told. I brought my own mud flaps after asking them 2 times, someone was nice enough to take the car inside the service center and put it on for me.

I installed the screen protector before I left from there as well.

The biggest issue was that there was a hole/rip in the third row seat. Tesla service will order that part and install a new one once it comes in.

Besides that, I’m gonna schedule a service appointment to take care of a small panel gap on rear trunk on driver side. And the rubber piece inside the trunk is kinda hanging and needs to be secured.

Lights had no condensation. No scratches that I could see. Nothing on the rims.

Overall I was very happy with the delivery process and I’m happy I took delivery earlier than expected. My wife reminded me that I took delivery of the Model S in 2017 (4 years prior) on the exact same date 😊

Attachments

• D52A5B84-56A1-4D27-9BC0-669004EC6E4B.jpeg
    D52A5B84-56A1-4D27-9BC0-669004EC6E4B.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: voxel
Were these Tesla mudflaps? (Model Y Mud Flaps)

If so... I might do the same.
No I brought my own. I bought them from Amazon.. I had to ask them like 2-3 times before someone agreed to take the car into service and put them on for me. It would have prolly taken me a lot of time to figure out how to put them on without breaking any of the clips.

Reactions: voxel