TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

September only Delivery Date - Update coming?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Hey_Hey, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Hey_Hey

Hey_Hey Member

I've been shopping for a Model S over the last month or two and routinely spec out cars on the website. As part of that build process, once the options/colors/wheels/interior are all selected, I have been clicking the red "next" icon in order to see what the delivery date options are and to put in deposit information. Up until today, changing the month of delivery was always an option. For example, in the last couple weeks Late August, September, or October were all choices that could be made. However, when I logged on this evening I noticed that the option to take delivery in a certain month is now gone. All it says is "Late September Delivery" at the bottom of the cost calculator on the "Build your tesla" page. It appears that if an order is placed today that only a September delivery date is possible.

This got me thinking about reasons why they would change it, and I have a couple thoughts as possibilities.

1. They are forcing people to take delivery before the end of Q3 in order to boost quarterly deliveries.

2. There is an update to some key part of the car (the interior?) that will preclude cars that are ordered now from being built later than September. If Tesla plans to make a change to the manufacturing line so that 100% of the cars from that point will be updated, then cars ordered today could not be built after the manufacturing change is made. Tesla would not want to build cars in September and then hold onto them for another month or two for deliver, so they have just taken away that option. Maybe this new update is the other reveal at the Tesla Semi event?

Thoughts?

2. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

This happens at the end of every quarter as Tesla pushes to get as many cars delivered as possible before the end of the quarter.

And with the market looking closely at S/X sales - to see if the release of the Model 3 is hurting sales of Tesla's flagship models, wouldn't be surprising for them to push hard on getting as many cars out the door as possible this quarter.

• Informative x 1
  3. Rossy

Rossy Supporting Member

Osborne2 killed Osborne1 sales.

4. idleuser

idleuser Member

I'm waiting until the end of October to order mine. But if you wait, you'll get the back seat interior update and AP 2.5 at the very least. Either way it's a win win situation.

5. Casablanca

Casablanca New Member

Placed my 75D order 8/18 (after switching from 90D inventory car). Selected earliest delivery. However MyTesla page shows "Late November/December Delivery". Anyone else experiencing this? Either production/sourcing delays or related to possible changes.

• Informative x 1
  6. alexhoff

alexhoff Member

@Casablanca... same situation. Placed an order on the 18th as well (an X though) and it moved from late Sept to early Nov. Not sure whats up.

• Informative x 1
  7. drew2017

drew2017 Member

For the a better picture, check the spreadsheet and even better add your dates: Model S Order & Delivery 2017

As for my experience, order confirmed 7/7 and immediately given August, Early Sept as delivery estimate. 6 weeks later the delivery changed to October and suddenly last week my car went into production and delivery estimate is an ever changing 7 day window in late august and early September.

I'm not entirely sure why they even give estimates, they do not seem to know when the car will arrive and at worst it just tortures the owner :)

8. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

I placed my order Aug 18 and my 75 still shows late Sept. early Oct. I am in So.Cal not sure if that means anything.