Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequence of actions I should take for lane change on non-enhanced AP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my new Model 3 LR this week and am loving it. One thing, though, is I feel like I'm not using Autopilot right.

Today I was driving on the highway with Autopilot enabled and I wanted to change lanes. What are the sequence of actions y'all take to smoothly do that?

What I did was: indicate turn signal (I feel like this should disable Autosteer, btw), then give a little tug on the wheel to break out of Autosteer. This seemed to have triggered the auto blinkers to stop blinking, unbeknownst to me, and so when I finally made the lane change the lane departure alarm started beeping at me.

I know I must be doing something wrong here, so I ask the experts: changing lanes while on Autopilot is a routine thing, you must have the movements down to a science so you're not fighting the car and having it beep at you, what do you do?

I find that the tug on the wheel required to disable AP is less when the turn signals are on. I do the full down or up on the signal to get them to stay on, and it never cancels the turn signals (maybe I do them at the same time?).

Also, I have ALL lane departure warnings off all the time (except when I'm alone in the car on a long drive). I got super frustrated with false warnings and steering corrections, AP sees phantom lane edges often enough to be annoying (pavement patches or tracks in the snow confuse it all the time for me).

Also, I like to hug the line in corners, sometimes even ride on the line next to trucks that are drifting.

That might be helping with avoiding the rumbling when changing lanes.

I just got my new Model 3 LR this week and am loving it. One thing, though, is I feel like I'm not using Autopilot right.

Today I was driving on the highway with Autopilot enabled and I wanted to change lanes. What are the sequence of actions y'all take to smoothly do that?

What I did was: indicate turn signal (I feel like this should disable Autosteer, btw), then give a little tug on the wheel to break out of Autosteer. This seemed to have triggered the auto blinkers to stop blinking, unbeknownst to me, and so when I finally made the lane change the lane departure alarm started beeping at me.

I know I must be doing something wrong here, so I ask the experts: changing lanes while on Autopilot is a routine thing, you must have the movements down to a science so you're not fighting the car and having it beep at you, what do you do?
Your actions were on point.

On AP: Indicate a turn by signal (full detent). A little tug of wheel towards other lane will disengage Auto Steer but it will maintain TACC, and it "should" have kept the turn signal until: 1. you cancel the signal or 2. automatically cancelled at completion of lane change (if auto-cancel lane change signal is enabled). Re-engage AP by using the right stalk.

Were you changing into multiple lanes? The above steps are good for single lane change, otherwise the car thinks you are drifting un-intentionally.

Funny how Hyundai is actually better than Tesla in this regard.

With a Hyundai, you can turn on the left or right turn signal and it'll automatically change lanes for you (This is a FREE feature btw)
This is true of many other brands that have the equivalent of autosteer capability (not necessarily full blown enhanced autopilot). Fortunately I bought EAP when the car was new (and upgraded to FSD during a fire sale) so I wouldn't have to deal with that rigmarole. In my wife's VW you just go ahead and change lanes and it will automatically acquire the new lane, without the jerky wheel feeling and boop/beep sequence. That said, it's a bit uncomfortable not really knowing whether it has acquired the lane or not, but that's probably more because I'm not used to it and don't know where to look for visual confirmation (the lane display on the Tesla screen is very helpful here). Apparently a future software update will enable auto lane changes.

But still, if I didn't have EAP/FSD, I would agree that the standard Tesla solution is becoming very dated and back-level compared to the competition. If I had to buy a new car today, I would certainly want the option to pay perhaps a nominal fee (not $6000 or whatever EAP costs these days) to get auto-lane change capability, or at least at the very minimum a way to manually do it in a less obtrusive way.

Reactions: GSP and YNoVA
Disable Tesla Driver Assist using the stalk (full up).
This will also disable TACC, though, right?

Were you changing into multiple lanes? The above steps are good for single lane change, otherwise the car thinks you are drifting un-intentionally.
No, just a single lane. I think maybe the difference is I've been trying to disable Autosteer via the wheel tug, *without* changing lanes, to then change lanes at my leisure. When I tug the wheel enough to break Autosteer, but remain in my initial lane, that turns off the blinker.

Is there another way to disable Autosteer without simultaneously disabling TACC?

Or maybe I should just torque the wheel to disable Autosteer at the same time as I'm ready to change lanes. That movement makes me uncomfortable since it feels like the car kind of jumps sideways more quickly than I'd naturally like it to.

No, just a single lane. I think maybe the difference is I've been trying to disable Autosteer via the wheel tug, *without* changing lanes, to then change lanes at my leisure. When I tug the wheel enough to break Autosteer, but remain in my initial lane, that turns off the blinker.

Is there another way to disable Autosteer without simultaneously disabling TACC?

Or maybe I should just torque the wheel to disable Autosteer at the same time as I'm ready to change lanes. That movement makes me uncomfortable since it feels like the car kind of jumps sideways more quickly than I'd naturally like it to.
That's it - signal then just apply (the usual torque) as you change lane.

There will be a little bit of resistance since you are taking over steering.

Auto-steer will be disabled at some point but it will maintain both TACC and the turn signal.

You'll get the hang of it.

Yes, half-pull up on the stalk. That will disable Driver Assist while leaving TACC on. Then signal and change lanes. Then down on the stalk again.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Is this incorrect, or does it only work in non-EAP/FSD cars? In my car (EAP, FSD) it disengages AP and TACC.

Double pull (to half detent is fine).
In our non-FSD/EAP YLR, a half up on the stalk disables both, but a soft wiggle on the wheel (especially with the blinker on) keeps TACC going.

I have the idea that the wheel over ride seems to sometimes also kill TACC, but I can't find a pattern, and might be imagining that.

This [a single-detent up-click] will also disable TACC, though, right?
That's correct.
Yes, half-pull up on the stalk. That will disable Driver Assist while leaving TACC on.
This is not correct. It will disable both TACC and Autosteer. I also verified this with a friend who has a non-FSD car; it behaves the same.

The only way I know of to disable Autosteer, without disabling TACC, is with a steering-wheel override. As others have mentioned, this is smoother and requires less override totque if the turn signal is engaged, as in a lane change or preparing for an upcoming intersection turn.

However, in the latter case, it can be quite bothersome to have TACC stay engaged while you are actually turning sharply. That issue, as well as simple mode confusion, is an argument for a different behavior. I'm just explaining how it is now.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
If you engage the turn signal, there should be no resistance on the wheel to change lanes. 2-3 years ago that was the case, you had to force the wheel to change lanes, but not anymore. If you don't signal, you do need to wrestle with the wheel and the lane change isn't smooth at all. You shouldn't need to manually disengage anything, you'll keep TACC. You'll need to double-pull down on the stalk to re-engage autosteer once your lane change is complete.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
That's correct.

This is not correct. It will disable both TACC and Autosteer. I also verified this with a friend who has a non-FSD car; it behaves the same.

The only way I know of to disable Autosteer, without disabling TACC, is with a steering-wheel override. As others have mentioned, this is smoother and requires less override totque if the turn signal is engaged, as in a lane change or preparing for an upcoming intersection turn.

However, in the latter case, it can be quite bothersome to have TACC stay engaged while you are actually turning sharply. That issue, as well as simple mode confusion, is an argument for a different behavior. I'm just explaining how it is now.
Bummer - Guess I remembered it wrong from before I had Advanced Driver Assist.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
I feel like I had a different experience when I had rented a new Model Y Performance with Basic Autopilot over the holidays. Either I'm remembering the sequence of events wrong, or I dreamt it. But I specifically remember driving on the highway with Autopilot engaged (TACC and Autosteer) and whenever I turned on the indicator, I seem to remember Autosteer disengaging on its own and a message popping up on the screen accordingly. I believe I had to physically re-engage Autosteer with a double pull of the stalk once I was in my desired lane. It stood out to me because I remember thinking that was a much smoother process than either torquing it out of Autosteer or pulling up on the stalk to disengage before making the lane change. Tell me I'm not going crazy. 🤪 (P.S. I have Enhanced Autopilot on my own Model 3, so I have Auto Lane Change and can't replicate.)