Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sequestering carbon by land restoration and reforestation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
Inspired by an off-topic discussion in this thread:

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

... and the discovery that there are people out there who would like to help accelerate my project, I figured I'd make a thread for it. :)

----------------------
I own 8ha of land in Iceland (Hvalfjarðarsveit / Kjós, in Miðdalur, NNE of Reykjavík) which like much of Iceland was covered in birch forests when settlers first found the land, but is now highly degraded by a century of overgrazing - leading to heavy erosion. I'm working to restore it to both prevent erosion, restore habitat, and in particular bind carbon.

56828232_379762612635964_4705659181309362176_o.jpg

Apart from the iron bogs, the land is about half degraded grassland and half gravel pans ("melur"). Nutrient tests show that the land is very low in nitrogen and phosphorus, particularly the gravel pans, and also very low in organic material. Looking at tables of carbon binding ability:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...und-soils-by-biome-type-kg-m-2_tbl1_200032823

The grassland would be classed as low-grade cool grassland, while the gravel pans would be classed as arctic desert or similar. The goal is to convert them to a mix of high-grade grassland and taiga forest, sequestering around 2000 tonnes of carbon over decades - the fastest results via grassland restoration, with the greatest total via reforestation. Boggy lands, which will be forested with tamarack and other water-loving trees, will additionally continue to sequester carbon as peat even after the forests reach maturity.

The rate at which I can do this project is primarily limited by funding, so if you want to help accelerate the project, feel free to donate; I'll do all the grunt work, and send you pictures of where your money went (you can visit any time!) You can either help fund the project in general, or fund specific projects. Namely:

* Artificial fertilizers: Mainly to add phosphorus. I've used about $500 worth so far, but it could use thousands more.

* Manure spreading: Some neighbors have ample sources of manure (horse ranches) and access to manure spreader trucks (where the land is level enough for them to get to), to add nitrogen and phosphorus. A lot of their manure currently gets stockpiled into piles that leach into the water, which is obviously an undesirable situation.

* Nitrogen-fixing plants: The company Lífland sells bulk seed for red and white clover, which are native nitrogen-binding plants (also good for our native bees). Another option would be Nootka Lupine - a beautiful plant characteristic of the modern Icelandic landscape that's highly effective at soil restoration - with the downside that it's a very invasive non-native. I'd prefer clover, but am open to lupine.

* Trees: I'm focusing on conifers, and to a lesser extent plants like our native rowan, which sheep that stray onto my land (they're hard to keep out) won't eat. So far, buying in small quantities in Reykjavík, the cheapest I've been able to get are about $2 per small seedling tree (this would lead to a bill of tens of thousands of dollars to forest everything), but I can probably do significantly better buying in bulk from sources in the countryside. Note that in our climate, seedlings take many years before the amount of carbon they start sequestering becomes significant; if you wish to forest a smaller amount of area but at a faster rate, you can instead choose to have larger trees planted.

Thanks for any support you can provide! I'm also open to "special requests" - for example, if you want plants arranged to spell things out or whatnot ;) I'll admit that I did draw a Tesla logo with fertilizer at one point... unfortunately no new aerial photographs have been taken in the past couple years for Google Maps ;)

--------------------

To anyone who wants to donate: I initially tried setting up a GoFundMe as was suggested in the other thread... and then tried Kickstarter... and apparently neither work for people in Iceland. And since they take a chunk of the donations anyway, it's probably easier to just donate at Paypal ([email protected]). Or you could purchase seeds or seedlings directly from a supplier (Lífland, Gróðrarstöðin Mör, Gróðrarstöðin Kjarr, Garðyrkjustöðin Flóra, Garðyrkjustöðin Borg, etc) and I could pick them up. Please post if you donate and indicate if there's any particular aspect you'd like your donation put towards. :)

Attachments

• 56828232_379762612635964_4705659181309362176_o.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 56828232_379762612635964_4705659181309362176_o.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Hmmm... sequestering carbon as wood (which can burn) on a volcanic island....

Haha ;) Thankfully the last eruption north of Reykjavík was over 100k years ago, and my land is a couple million years old - which is pretty old by Icelandic standards!. South side of town (Hafnarfjörður and further south) however is as young as a few thousand years old in places. Still very much active.

Haha ;) Thankfully the last eruption north of Reykjavík was over 100k years ago, and my land is a couple million years old - which is pretty old by Icelandic standards!. South side of town (Hafnarfjörður and further south) however is as young as a few thousand years old in places. Still very much active.

My vote would be for using your vast geothermal resources to manufacture H2 from seawater and export it....

H2 is pretty hard to export. What we do instead is import alumium ore, refine it, then export the alumium :)

Have you considered fixing the H2 as CH4, and exporting that? The HELMETH project suggests high efficiency. There's that pesky C, but can't that be managed? CH4 is so much easier to store and transport. Maybe the European turbine that burns your LNG could ship CO2 back to you.

For your reforestation project in general, do you suppose you could get in with something like Home - Carbonfund.org? Ideally they do the paperwork and you plant the trees. I suspect those of us in the USA are happier to donate to a registered non-profit.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
Last edited:
Inspired by an off-topic discussion in this thread:

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

... and the discovery that there are people out there who would like to help accelerate my project, I figured I'd make a thread for it. :)

----------------------
I own 8ha of land in Iceland (Hvalfjarðarsveit / Kjós, in Miðdalur, NNE of Reykjavík) which like much of Iceland was covered in birch forests when settlers first found the land, but is now highly degraded by a century of overgrazing - leading to heavy erosion. I'm working to restore it to both prevent erosion, restore habitat, and in particular bind carbon.

Apart from the iron bogs, the land is about half degraded grassland and half gravel pans ("melur"). Nutrient tests show that the land is very low in nitrogen and phosphorus, particularly the gravel pans, and also very low in organic material. Looking at tables of carbon binding ability:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...und-soils-by-biome-type-kg-m-2_tbl1_200032823

The grassland would be classed as low-grade cool grassland, while the gravel pans would be classed as arctic desert or similar. The goal is to convert them to a mix of high-grade grassland and taiga forest, sequestering around 2000 tonnes of carbon over decades - the fastest results via grassland restoration, with the greatest total via reforestation. Boggy lands, which will be forested with tamarack and other water-loving trees, will additionally continue to sequester carbon as peat even after the forests reach maturity.

The rate at which I can do this project is primarily limited by funding, so if you want to help accelerate the project, feel free to donate; I'll do all the grunt work, and send you pictures of where your money went (you can visit any time!) You can either help fund the project in general, or fund specific projects. Namely:

* Artificial fertilizers: Mainly to add phosphorus. I've used about $500 worth so far, but it could use thousands more.

* Manure spreading: Some neighbors have ample sources of manure (horse ranches) and access to manure spreader trucks (where the land is level enough for them to get to), to add nitrogen and phosphorus. A lot of their manure currently gets stockpiled into piles that leach into the water, which is obviously an undesirable situation.

* Nitrogen-fixing plants: The company Lífland sells bulk seed for red and white clover, which are native nitrogen-binding plants (also good for our native bees). Another option would be Nootka Lupine - a beautiful plant characteristic of the modern Icelandic landscape that's highly effective at soil restoration - with the downside that it's a very invasive non-native. I'd prefer clover, but am open to lupine.

* Trees: I'm focusing on conifers, and to a lesser extent plants like our native rowan, which sheep that stray onto my land (they're hard to keep out) won't eat. So far, buying in small quantities in Reykjavík, the cheapest I've been able to get are about $2 per small seedling tree (this would lead to a bill of tens of thousands of dollars to forest everything), but I can probably do significantly better buying in bulk from sources in the countryside. Note that in our climate, seedlings take many years before the amount of carbon they start sequestering becomes significant; if you wish to forest a smaller amount of area but at a faster rate, you can instead choose to have larger trees planted.

Thanks for any support you can provide! I'm also open to "special requests" - for example, if you want plants arranged to spell things out or whatnot ;) I'll admit that I did draw a Tesla logo with fertilizer at one point... unfortunately no new aerial photographs have been taken in the past couple years for Google Maps ;)

--------------------

To anyone who wants to donate: I initially tried setting up a GoFundMe as was suggested in the other thread... and then tried Kickstarter... and apparently neither work for people in Iceland. And since they take a chunk of the donations anyway, it's probably easier to just donate at Paypal ([email protected]). Or you could purchase seeds or seedlings directly from a supplier (Lífland, Gróðrarstöðin Mör, Gróðrarstöðin Kjarr, Garðyrkjustöðin Flóra, Garðyrkjustöðin Borg, etc) and I could pick them up. Please post if you donate and indicate if there's any particular aspect you'd like your donation put towards. :)

Sent a little will help more. Iceland is on our bucket list.

• Love
Reactions: winfield100
there are people out there who would like to help accelerate my project
Great project! Sign me up (heading over to PayPal). You might want to consider accepting visitors who would help plant trees, or whatever's needed.

EDIT:
By the way, PayPal charged me $4.99 to send you money. And it says it won't be available to you until the 17th. Perhaps it's because you're not in the US? Or you haven't set up your account effectively? Happy to cancel the transaction and send a different and more efficient way. Please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
$4.99 is probably about as low as fees are going to get, unfortunately. :Þ The delay is fine, I'll front the money myself until then.

For anyone donating who might be visiting Iceland - let me know when you're coming, I'll take time to show you your trees! (as mentioned, it's just a short drive north of Reykjavík... the first valley north of Esja that's out of sight of the city) If you have a preference on species or planting size (e.g. more area planted but slower to get to a sequestration size, vs. less area planted but sooner to get to a sequestration size), just let me know - as mentioned I'll be picking them up on Monday. :)

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca
$4.99 is probably about as low as fees are going to get, unfortunately. :Þ The delay is fine, I'll front the money myself until then.

For anyone donating who might be visiting Iceland - let me know when you're coming, I'll take time to show you your trees! (as mentioned, it's just a short drive north of Reykjavík... the first valley north of Esja that's out of sight of the city) If you have a preference on species or planting size (e.g. more area planted but slower to get to a sequestration size, vs. less area planted but sooner to get to a sequestration size), just let me know - as mentioned I'll be picking them up on Monday. :)
"Sir or Miss, what's in the luggage bag?"
"oh, i had some spare weight allowence, so i packed ~10 lbs/4.7 kilos of clover/legume seeds"
edit:
i'm definately =>_NOT_<= suggesting doing anything that violates import rules or illegal.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando
"Sir or Miss, what's in the luggage bag?"
"oh, i had some spare weight allowence, so i packed ~10 lbs/4.7 kilos of clover/legume seeds"

Hahaha ;) I have no comment on the topic, and have certainly never done anything like mixing bare-rooted plants and cuttings with lettuce as "salad" ;)

(Really, though, seed permits are pretty easy to get, for most seeds at least :) )

Last edited:
This is quite awesome Karen. Once I figure out a way to cut Paypal out of the loop I'll add a contribution.
Have you calculated the CO2 sequestered per $ ?

The forest is waaaay more valuable than the CO2 sequestration alone, but I thought you might have that figure available.