Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SERENITY NOW! - Autopilot Chimes are way TOO LOUD!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Completely agree on this issue, even with Joe mode activated it's annoyingly loud. Louder than the music volume. My girlfriend's Ford Escape has better adaptive cruise control that doesn't beep/chime whenever I turn it on/off. Not to mention it also auto resumes after changing lanes.

Reactions: dhrivnak
I find them exceptionally well rounded sounds, with good sound design, meant to tell you it's on/off without being jarring or overly loud. The AP alert sounds are meant to grab your attention. The on/off sounds are softly rounded "boo bimg~~" and "boo boo~~". I haven't heard any passengers complain about them - in the 3+ years I've had it so far.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but instead of pointing to this thread and saying "hey look, everyone finds it awful so fix it", I'ma just do a
yxx2x2wcm6021.jpg

and say that y'know maybe it's not as universally loathed as you might think ;)

Joe Mode is nice, too, but I agree, it doesn't decrease it very much... though I also agree there's no good solution there since legal probably doesn't want to add any more liability than they have to.

• Disagree
Reactions: Toneus and rjpjnk
Of the cars I’ve driven with adaptive cruise control and lane guidance systems, the Tesla is the chattiest with its bing-bongs. While I don’t find the sounds offensive (actually quite the opposite), my other half despises them - the tones are right in a frequency range his hearing is very sensitive to. I have had to stop using autopilot when he is a passenger.

According to Tesla’s own statistics, not using AutoPilot in the situations it is designed for makes our driving without it enabled less safe.

I think those sounds and the audio memories associated with them are part of what makes autopilot so safe. Helps me to be aware if I need to steer or not.

I have to agree with you. AutoPilot is a mode, and we humans aren't so good at remembering modes unless there is a consistent indicator that is visual, audible, or tactile. I miss the days when you would feel cruise control take the gas pedal away from under your foot... and don't get me started on gear shift levers that actually stayed in the selected position. Mode indicator.

Perhaps Tesla could use the steering rack motor to tap-tap the wheel upon engaging autopilot, and vibrate when disengaging. Doesn't it already use that effect for lane departure warning?

Lane changes should be permitted if you signal, then auto-resume when you complete the maneuver. Other cars already do that and it is much less drama. I don't see paying $200/mo just for that, though...

Reactions: rjpjnk
Joe Mode is too loud. No other car does any of those sounds when switching lanes with lane assistant on. Visual is enough.

I started driving without ACC with my kids because they woke up multiple times due to constant ding dong.

Bottom line is that Autopilot activation and deactivation chimes 📢 are just plain annoying, and over the top. These are amazing vehicles, but they are as annoying as my morning alarm clock, just ask my napping wife 🤫 on a road trip. There are a few other tweaks that would greatly improve the driving experience.

When driving on Autopilot, and the driver activates the turn signal for a lane change, the AP disabled chime needs to be turned down to a minimum level (off with a visual cue would be preferred). I know Autopilot is being disabled for a lane change, I don't need to be warned that the car is not lane holding anymore because it was me, I did it, I just signaled for a manual lane change. If I indicate a lane change, followed by a centering in the adjacent lane, then just do it with minimal noise (again no noise would be best), your sleeping passengers (or work calls) will appreciate it.

The Safety Sallies out there is going to say what happens if you mistakenly hit the turn signal and Autopilot disables, do you want just drive off the road? The Driving Computer knows that the target lane is safe or it should be alerting, (and it knows where the edge of the road is also) simply allow the car to move there with minimal alerts. The new lane then becomes the new safety zone and reinitiate all lane departure warnings in the new lane. There could also be other conditions such as a maximum turn radius, driver alert checks, all of these things exist. Don't give me the elitist's "That's FSD pay for it", no it's not. AP was disabled and I know it, I'm tired of getting yelled at when I do so, and again it's annoying to my passengers.

When reactivating Autopilot within 30 seconds, just give a simple visual que, the driver is obviously aware that AP has been reengaged. Just Do It, don't tell me about it. 🔇

Obviously, distance following is a combination of vehicle type (expected size), and whether that object is shrinking or getting bigger in the field of view. If I'm in AP, and I signal a lane change (which as we just discussed disables lane holding), then switch the follow distance to the new lane. ACC seems to hold onto the lane until I'm completely out of the lane, which is way too long, and not normal. The current Visual 3 Car minimum distance is too large, make 2 available. I've lived in California, I don't know how this hasn't been adjusted yet. 🤦‍♂️

Elon, you're all about removing the manual steps, here's an easy one.

Turn Signals - I'd like a configurable blink count. I don't SAFELY make a full lane change in 3 blinks, I prefer a 5 count to Signal, Clear, Change lanes. I find myself holding the stalk to get a longer set of blinks when a setting would alleviate the manual override.

And for goodness sakes, add fold mirrors WHEN PARKED for Home. I want them folded IN THE GARAGE so they don't get hit by my kids (or a purse/random bag) when parked IN THE GARAGE, but I'd like to use them to Enter/Exit normally.

Add a Parking Mode, when pulling into a GEO enable the camera screen. We use our rear camera to gauge our distance from the garage door threshold for parking. Again, another manual tap that can be eliminated. OH, I better idea just popped into my head, settable distance sensor(s) for garage parking. 🚦

Many of these are fresh in my mind after a 750 mile road trip. I guess it's time to start tweeting Elon. 📣

Cheers!
Not sure if I am writing about the same thing; since the last update I get very annoying chimes every time I activate and disactivate simple cruise control. Any info re disactivating them will be much appreciated. Joe mode is not enough - I will still hear them. Thanks all :)

Reactions: Toneus
Not sure if I am writing about the same thing; since the last update I get very annoying chimes every time I activate and disactivate simple cruise control. Any info re disactivating them will be much appreciated. Joe mode is not enough - I will still hear them. Thanks all :)

I believe the chime for cruise control was mandated in China recently. They considered it a safety issue to not have a chime. IIRC, the media as usual made a huge deal about a giant recall of every car in China, when in reality, it was a voluntary "recall" that involved a standard OTA update to add the chime.

Reactions: FalconFour
This is how Hyundai's lane keeping assist works as well. Sooooo much smoother and intuitive than AP. Tesla needs to get on this. Both my wife and I use lane keeping assist constantly on our Ionic but only use AP on easy highways because it's just annoying on windy roads or in suburban areas.
BMW iX3 is the same. If there is a problem with the steering-assist it will beep; but if you indicate and move lane it just silently disengages and then re-engages (again silently) when you are in the new lane. Easy.

Reactions: Toneus
Joe mode also doesn't reduce volume for the FCW alerts. I get how those are more tied to safety than the other chimes, so I understand the rationale. But it violates human-computer interaction patterns. A volume setting should affect all volume, not select volume. Android struggled with this for years, having volume sliders for 6 different types of sounds.