Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serial wall chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Removing one early version Tesla wall charger from a 100 amp circuit and replacing it with two newer models.
I thought they could be connected in series to one 100 amp circuit and would distribute the load but the installer is concerned this is not in compliance with some new codes. Anyone have this set up?
New England, USA. Five year old model X charges at 72 A on the original set up.

Removing one early version Tesla wall charger from a 100 amp circuit and replacing it with two newer models.
I thought they could be connected in series to one 100 amp circuit and would distribute the load but the installer is concerned this is not in compliance with some new codes. Anyone have this set up?
New England, USA. Five year old model X charges at 72 A on the original set up.
The new setup requires a breaker per charger in a parallel setup. You would need an older charger to set them up in a parallel maner.

Upvote 0
The new setup requires a breaker per charger in a parallel setup. You would need an older charger to set them up in a parallel maner.
We still don't know if the OP is talking about a gen 3 wall connector or not. For purposes of this conversation I will assume they bought brand new connectors from Tesla which would indeed be gen 3 models. The gen 3 wall connector also is capable of less than half of the power delivery of the Gen 2 and Gen 1 units. If you have one of the cars capable of utilizing this much electron flow you may want to stick with a Gen 2.

Upvote 0
Had to google research the different versions. The newer wall chargers were referral prizes. Black plastic, not gray like the older one or glass like the gen 3. The manual describes load balancing which the original gen 1 device did not have. Perhaps the installer is referencing gen 3 and these are gen 2.

Upvote 0
Had to google research the different versions. The newer wall chargers were referral prizes. Black plastic, not gray like the older one or glass like the gen 3. The manual describes load balancing which the original gen 1 device did not have. Perhaps the installer is referencing gen 3 and these are gen 2.
It sounds like it may be time to find an installer experienced with installing these devices.

Upvote 0
Update: installers say code requires each wall unit be connected to it‘s own circuit breaker. Is this why gen 3 use wifi and not a serial connection to communicate? They installed the two gen 2 units each on 60 amp circuits. I’ll have to track down an online manual to review but I think this means it will not be able to load balance. They will put one back on on a 90 amp breaker because the wire required for a 100 amp breaker/72 amp load is too big to fit into the unit so I can still charge my X at full capacity when needed; 90*83%=74.7 > 72.

Upvote 0
In my area there are two knowledgeable installer companies and only one with access to Powerwalls. They are experienced with Tesla products. This is what I was expecting they would do:
but it seems code has changed since Tesla was making this model wall connector.

Upvote 0
Final solution is each charger gets its own 90 amp circuit but the communication wire between them will allow load balancing so no more than 72 amps is used at any one time even if two Teslas are calling for charge. This satisfies code to limit the potential draw from the 200 amp service.

Reactions: kayak1
Upvote 0