Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else has had problem charging new model S with original HPWC. I tried to charge at Beverly Hills Hotel on 3 different HPWCs, my car tripped the circuit breaker on all 3, then had the same experience charging at my home and office on my personal HPWCs - Tesla eventually replace both and no problems now.

Reactions: steilkurve
So all five of them were Gen 1, they replaced yours with Gen 2, those now work, and you still can’t charge at the hotel?

I don’t get it. Makes no sense that certain cars can’t charge with Gen 1 HPWCs. Did they say why you can’t use the Gen 1s in general? There are hundreds of them around.

Wondering if anyone else has had problem charging new model S with original HPWC. I tried to charge at Beverly Hills Hotel on 3 different HPWCs, my car tripped the circuit breaker on all 3, then had the same experience charging at my home and office on my personal HPWCs - Tesla eventually replace both and no problems now.

We had the same problem. Our 2018 new MCU Model S had intermittent problems charging from Gen1 HPWC at home, while the older Model S can charge without any problems even at 80A. With older cars we have never seen an error even once since installation (same HPWC was used daily for over a year on a 2017 Model S). It seemed somewhat dependent on how hot the car was (so combination of whether it just drove a lot and outside temperature). Sometimes it would charge for a bit, then throw the error. If it was parked outside in cooler weather for a while, we could charge it full before it threw the error. The error was 8 red flashes on the HPWC (bad pilot level). No issues using Gen1 mobile connector (even swapping on the same occasion, HPWC - error, mobile connector - no error). Replacing the HPWC was the recommended solution as well.

PS> I am a little worried that one day we'll encounter a destination charger we won't be able to use, though there is a possibility that with more 2018 cars out there more of these problems will get exposed and they will find a solution for the new cars (probably a software workaround). If you ever find yourself in this situation, sometimes just leaving it plugged in eventually starts charging. My wife left it plugged in once because I didn't have the mobile connector setup in the garage and it did start charging after a while. It shut off again 30 minutes later but that's still 5KWh more she got into the battery than if she had just unplugged when it wouldn't charge. Not the most efficient charging but better than nothing.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So all five of them were Gen 1, they replaced yours with Gen 2, those now work, and you still can’t charge at the hotel?

I don’t get it. Makes no sense that certain cars can’t charge with Gen 1 HPWCs. Did they say why you can’t use the Gen 1s in general? There are hundreds of them around.

I haven't been back to the hotel or another destination charger other than superchargers. Tesla service in Burbank had my car for a week and tested on superchargers as well as gen 2 and 3 HPWCs with no problems. I have a gen 2 charger at my weekend house - no problems. When i picked the car up I drove to my office, plugged it in, and the charger immediately faulted. Called service manager who suggested the problem was with the HPWC, and sent a new one immediately. swapped it out and have had no issues since. A friend of mine has a new X and the same problems with his gen 1 HPWC.

• Helpful
I haven't been back to the hotel or another destination charger other than superchargers. Tesla service in Burbank had my car for a week and tested on superchargers as well as gen 2 and 3 HPWCs with no problems. I have a gen 2 charger at my weekend house - no problems. When i picked the car up I drove to my office, plugged it in, and the charger immediately faulted. Called service manager who suggested the problem was with the HPWC, and sent a new one immediately. swapped it out and have had no issues since. A friend of mine has a new X and the same problems with his gen 1 HPWC.
The problem may in fact be with the HPWC's, however because the older (i.e. more than 3 month old) cars don't error out, chances are it will take some time, if ever, before Tesla catches and replaces all bad destination chargers.

PS> My personal opinion is that they changed something in the charging protocol and made it not exactly 100% backwards compatible. Coincidentally, did you notice that it seems to coincide with the ability for cars to update Mobile Connector firmware? It may be that Tesla already knows what the problem is, but they could only fix the firmware on Mobile Connectors but not Gen1 HPWC's (maybe they don't have ability for firmware updates from the car like the Mobile Connectors do).

I just took delivery of a new X 100D today and have this same issue. My Gen1 HPWC, wired into 100amp circuit, has always worked with my S P85D but after about 10 seconds on my new X it trips the HPWC and error message appears. I will be calling Tesla in the morning.

I just took delivery of a new X 100D today and have this same issue. My Gen1 HPWC, wired into 100amp circuit, has always worked with my S P85D but after about 10 seconds on my new X it trips the HPWC and error message appears. I will be calling Tesla in the morning.

Hmmm...I have had Gen 1 HPWC on 100a circuit for 4 years has charged all my cars P85+ dual charger , P85D dual charger and now X P100D 72a ...never once has tripped or have had issues on latest firmware ...

Hmmm...I have had Gen 1 HPWC on 100a circuit for 4 years has charged all my cars P85+ dual charger , P85D dual charger and now X P100D 72a ...never once has tripped or have had issues on latest firmware ...
Our 2018 charges ok while it's cool. When it gets hot, it throws an error. Usually throws an error at the end of the charge cycle even then cool. Have new hpwc but haven't had time to replace, so using mobile connector as backup.

@rmholbrookjr Can I ask which department helped you resolve this issue and gave you new HPWC. I have the exact same problem.

Thanks,
Erik

@P85_DA Yes, but do you have a car with the new MCU (cars produced after March 15th ish)? This may be an issue with the new MCU cars and old HPWC.

We had the same problem. Our 2018 new MCU Model S had intermittent problems charging from Gen1 HPWC at home, while the older Model S can charge without any problems even at 80A.

Interesting... I recently traded my 2013 S in on a new 2018 X with the new MCU. My S charged no problem on my Gen 1 HPWC, but I have had weird glitches with the X. Often it will be in the form of iPhone notifications to say that Charging Started at 3:00 AM, followed by Charging Interrupted at 3:00 AM followed by Charging Started at 3:15 AM where it (for now) proceeds normally). Where I have not used the timer, I have also had the odd red ring, and once the HPWC itself went red, but a power cycle fixed it.Mine is configured for 40 amps delivered on a 50 amp circuit.

• Helpful
Had an original HPWC or my 80Amp S85D and then purchased an S100D March 2017. Never a single problem at all with it at 72Amps on the new Tesla. Purchased an X75D December 2017 and also no problems at all with it. Since then (April 2018) have had my Rewards WCs Gen 2 delivered and they are now load sharing between the two cars also with no problems.

Almost definitely sounds like an MCU2 issue

Last edited:
Had an original HPWC or my 80Amp S85D and then purchased an S100D March 2017. Never a single problem at all with it at 72Amps on the new Tesla. Purchased an X75D December 2017 and also no problems at all with it. Since then (April 2018) have had my Rewards WCs Gen 2 delivered and they are now load sharing between the two cars also with no problems.

@boonedocks Again, I think this may be an issue with Gen 2 MCU cars produced after March 15th 2018.

Reactions: boonedocks
I just picked up a newly built S100D on 6/17/2018, and have no issues using it with my original HPWC, which I was using with a late 2013 P85.

It is configured for 80a max, but I've always just used it at 60a.

@schemers.....That is interesting,... there goes my theory about the Gen2 MCU being the issue with the Gen1 HPWC. Anyway, I am waiting for the mobile Tesla repair team to call me back to schedule a visit to my house so they can figure this out and replace the wall charger if needed.

@schemers.....That is interesting,... there goes my theory about the Gen2 MCU being the issue with the Gen1 HPWC. Anyway, I am waiting for the mobile Tesla repair team to call me back to schedule a visit to my house so they can figure this out and replace the wall charger if needed.
It could still be new MCU issue having different specs for communication with HPWC. When the car is at one end of a spec and HPWC at the other, errors can happen. Even more supported by the fact that in our situation the mcu2 car can use the old hpwc when it's cold, but not when it's hot. The older 2015 works at any temperature. Our 2017 also worked without any issues.