Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We encountered this problem last June when our X 100D arrived, and Tesla swapped out our Gen 1 HPWC.

The issue appears to be a software timing problem caused by the faster MCU2 processor and not the software not able to reliably communicate with the Gen 1 HPWCs. At that time, Tesla said they were working on a software fix - and we still haven't seen this 7 months later.

Even if you swap out your home HPWC, you could still encounter this problem if you try to charge at any Gen 1 HPWC destination chargers (which we tried to use last summer).

I found that if I set the dip switches on the Gen1 charger to a 40amp breaker then it would charge Ok at 30amps, but not higher.

Mine is installed on a 50 amp breaker configured for 40 amps to the car (80% rule). I normally charge at 30 amps by dialing it back in the car. I had some early red rings and red lights on the HPWC, even at 30 amps, but not for the past 5 or 6 months. March 2018 Model X 100D.

How many HPWC "generations" has Tesla sold? How to visually identify them?

Need to know with certainty if my HPWC, which I bought new in May of 2016, is really impacted. Looking at the label, I do not see Gen1 or Gen2, etc. Only the P/N and the S/N.

Last edited:

Need to know with certainty if my HPWC, which I bought new in May of 2016, is really impacted. Looking at the label, I do not see Gen1 or Gen2, etc. Only the P/N and the S/N.
2 generations. Gen2 has a receptacle built-in to store the handle on its side. Gen1 does not (it comes with a separate "cable organizer" like this )? Also, Gen2 has ability to load share with other Gen2's, Gen1's don't have load sharing.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Just to throw in another data point, we have a 2019 MS 75D that has plugged into our Gen 1 HPWC (2015) for 3 months now with no problems. It’s on a 100-amp breaker with the dip switches set to 80 amps and we plug in nightly. The car draws a max of 48 amps.

I planned a road trip with a mix of destination charger and superchargers with my 2020 Model X. I never heard of this compatibility issue before. I got to my first destination to spend the night while charging but the car won't charge. The next morning a 3, then an older version of X and early (old fascia) S were all able to charge. I only got ~30 mi and the nearest supercharger was 80 mi away. There were no operational level 2 chargers in that small town either. Car ended up being towed 90 mi away to the service center and our road trip almost ruined if not for a friend picked us up and we rented a gas guzzler 80 mi away (only one local car rental company and they didn't have anything)

If Tesla can't fix this compatibility issue they should at the very least warn newer S/X owners that the issue exists. Very disappointed.

• Informative
I planned a road trip with a mix of destination charger and superchargers with my 2020 Model X. I never heard of this compatibility issue before. I got to my first destination to spend the night while charging but the car won't charge. The next morning a 3, then an older version of X and early (old fascia) S were all able to charge. I only got ~30 mi and the nearest supercharger was 80 mi away. There were no operational level 2 chargers in that small town either. Car ended up being towed 90 mi away to the service center and our road trip almost ruined if not for a friend picked us up and we rented a gas guzzler 80 mi away (only one local car rental company and they didn't have anything)

If Tesla can't fix this compatibility issue they should at the very least warn newer S/X owners that the issue exists. Very disappointed.

Considering how long this issue has existed I think it's safe to say Tesla has no plans or intentions on fixing it. While I don't fault you for not knowing, my own experiences with this would keep me from ever taking a trip that relied on destination chargers since the vast majority of them are 1st gen from what I've seen.

You're absolutely right, Tesla should tell new owners but they're never going to do that because it would require them to acknowledge this issue in writing. Tesla simply isn't going to acknowledge they have a serious problem here that they are unwilling/unable to fix.

Jeff

Reactions: Droschke and whitex
Considering how long this issue has existed I think it's safe to say Tesla has no plans or intentions on fixing it. While I don't fault you for not knowing, my own experiences with this would keep me from ever taking a trip that relied on destination chargers since the vast majority of them are 1st gen from what I've seen.

You're absolutely right, Tesla should tell new owners but they're never going to do that because it would require them to acknowledge this issue in writing. Tesla simply isn't going to acknowledge they have a serious problem here that they are unwilling/unable to fix.

Jeff
Sadly, I totally agree with you. Personally I am just going to assume destination chargers don't exist in the future.

I just started to experience this problem. Had a 2013 P85+ and two HPWC Gen 1. Never an issue. Upgraded to P100D in late 2016, new-generation hardware for autodrive. Never a charging problem for past four years on two Gen 1 HPWC chargers (100AM, 80 Dip Switches) until last week. Came out Monday morning and the charger showed the red ring of death on my P100D home charger. Had an appointment to upgrade to new autodrive computer on Wednesday and enough charge to get there so didn't worry about it. Picked up a loaner car 2017 Model S 100D and plugged it in and got red ring of death. Figured it was my HPWC. Drove to my beach house and plugged loaner 100D into my other Gen 1 HPWC and red ring of death. Then I realized it wasn't my home chargers, but the cars.

Anyone have any idea why now? Anybody else have a sudden change in being able to charge with a car that has been charging for years? Software update? Not sure of my version as car is still in service. Hard to get clear answers as nobody talks to you anymore - just cryptic text messages. Something about a fault in my drive unit and needing to replace it.

Calling service has been a big run around. Telling me Gen 1 are out of warrantee and hardware has run it's course. Everything I have tested and read indicates issue is with the car and how it is communicating with the HPWC. I have just emailed Charger Service contact with details pulled from posts in the forum (thanks everyone for the good info) and hoping they will stop their denial and trying to make it my charger issue. Any case numbers from anyone would be appreciated.

My experience with Service on my Model Ss is that ever since they released Model 3, they have been overwhelmed and service has degraded significantly. They use to be the best.

I just started to experience this problem. Had a 2013 P85+ and two HPWC Gen 1. Never an issue. Upgraded to P100D in late 2016, new-generation hardware for autodrive. Never a charging problem for past four years on two Gen 1 HPWC chargers (100AM, 80 Dip Switches) until last week. Came out Monday morning and the charger showed the red ring of death on my P100D home charger. Had an appointment to upgrade to new autodrive computer on Wednesday and enough charge to get there so didn't worry about it. Picked up a loaner car 2017 Model S 100D and plugged it in and got red ring of death. Figured it was my HPWC. Drove to my beach house and plugged loaner 100D into my other Gen 1 HPWC and red ring of death. Then I realized it wasn't my home chargers, but the cars.

Anyone have any idea why now? Anybody else have a sudden change in being able to charge with a car that has been charging for years? Software update? Not sure of my version as car is still in service. Hard to get clear answers as nobody talks to you anymore - just cryptic text messages. Something about a fault in my drive unit and needing to replace it.

Calling service has been a big run around. Telling me Gen 1 are out of warrantee and hardware has run it's course. Everything I have tested and read indicates issue is with the car and how it is communicating with the HPWC. I have just emailed Charger Service contact with details pulled from posts in the forum (thanks everyone for the good info) and hoping they will stop their denial and trying to make it my charger issue. Any case numbers from anyone would be appreciated.

My experience with Service on my Model Ss is that ever since they released Model 3, they have been overwhelmed and service has degraded significantly. They use to be the best.

Sorry, what's "new-generation hardware for autodrive"?

I purchased the car with Full Self Driving (FSD). 2.0 and 2.5 Hardware can't support FSD, so they have a new FSD computer that they need to install to enable FSD. Full Self-Driving Computer Installations, That is what I am getting installed in my car.

BTW - I performed a definitive test today to confirm that my HPWC is not bad. I have the red ring of death when trying to charge a 2017 100D with the new front nose. Had a friend with an older 2015 75D come over it it charged just fine. So HPWC is good, car is the problem..

• Informative
Thread resurrection

Charging & Adapter Product Guides lists how to identify gen 1.

The gen 2 and 3 installation guides at Charging & Adapter Product Guides may help. Gen 3 guide talks about a part number.

Second Generation Wall Connector says
My work has a whole bunch of gen 2s including 10 in a load sharing arrangement (5 100 amp circuits and each providing power to a 2 WCs via load sharing). We got those WAY before gen 3 existed.

Destination Chargers type Generation 1 do not work for charging Tesla’s built in 2018,19,20 and 21.

Tesla claims thousands of destination chargers without identifying ones they know do not work even on the in car map of cars who cannot use them.

Misleading at the very least.

Let me add another data point... it's probably not the MCU - the MCU doesn't handle charger communication, it just manages it.

Our 2016 Model X had a charger (the box in the car) failure and had to be replaced with the latest generation. After that, the car has refused to charge on my gen 1 HPWC but worked fine on my gen 2 HPWC.

Meanwhile, my MCU2 2018 Model S 100D charged just fine on the HPWC1. It's the newest generation of chargers that have this problem.

I just traded my Model S for the F-150 Lightning of which I took delivery yesterday. HPWC2 is moving to accommodate a move of the Model X in the garage.

Let me add another data point... it's probably not the MCU - the MCU doesn't handle charger communication, it just manages it.

Our 2016 Model X had a charger (the box in the car) failure and had to be replaced with the latest generation. After that, the car has refused to charge on my gen 1 HPWC but worked fine on my gen 2 HPWC.

Meanwhile, my MCU2 2018 Model S 100D charged just fine on the HPWC1. It's the newest generation of chargers that have this problem.

I just traded my Model S for the F-150 Lightning of which I took delivery yesterday. HPWC2 is moving to accommodate a move of the Model X in the garage.
The Gen 1 HPWC is a known issue. I had one, which charged fine 2013 Models, 2015 Model S, 2017 Model S, but not the 2018 Model S. Coincidentally, the 2018 was the only one of those 4 which has MCU2, but I agree, this is a charger issue, not an MCU issue. The error thrown was something to do with a bad pilot level (which is one of the pins). Tesla swapped out the HPWC for a Gen2 which works to this day.

The Gen 1 HPWC is a known issue. I had one, which charged fine 2013 Models, 2015 Model S, 2017 Model S, but not the 2018 Model S. Coincidentally, the 2018 was the only one of those 4 which has MCU2, but I agree, this is a charger issue, not an MCU issue. The error thrown was something to do with a bad pilot level (which is one of the pins). Tesla swapped out the HPWC for a Gen2 which works to this day.

How did you request the replacement? Service request on the car? Call Tesla customer service?

How did you request the replacement? Service request on the car? Call Tesla customer service?
It was back when they were just figuring this out. I took the then brand new Model S to service for a charging problem because it would not charge at our garage HPWC which charged other, older Model S's without any issue (even swapping back and forth between the cars, old car works, new one throws an error within some time, sooner when warmer out btw). Given it was our 4th Model S, they good-willed us a Gen2 charger ($500 back then) once they figured out there were a number of reports of newer cars not working with older chargers. It was also a good diagnostic step for them, since after I installed it I reported that it solved the charging problem for the new car. That was when service was stellar, before the Model 3/Y flood and laser focus on profit.

• Love
Reactions: boonedocks
Did anyone ever figure out what was causing this?
I had the same issue. Had 2013 P85+, upgraded to P100D in Dec 2016.
Charging was fine for two years, then headaches charging with Tesla blaming my Gen1 HPWC.
Then the software updated, and the issue went away.

Now out of warranty, had the charger fail in the spring, had the charger replaced.
Then two days after getting the car back, the battery heater failed.
Tesla said they were unrelated.
I had the battery heater replaced and retrieved my old charger back, and I saw the blue high-voltage plug was smashed apart when they removed it from the car. (So much for getting the charger rebuilt).

They also told me that the rear drive motor needed to be replaced (58,000 miles)
At that point, I realized they didn't put the correct 72W charger in my car when they replaced it.

So back to the dealer for a motor swap and to put in the correct charger.

Shortly thereafter, the charging issues reappeared.

Glad I have an ICE car.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Did anyone ever figure out what was causing this?
I had the same issue. Had 2013 P85+, upgraded to P100D in Dec 2016.
Charging was fine for two years, then headaches charging with Tesla blaming my Gen1 HPWC.
Then the software updated, and the issue went away.

Now out of warranty, had the charger fail in the spring, had the charger replaced.
Then two days after getting the car back, the battery heater failed.
Tesla said they were unrelated.
I had the battery heater replaced and retrieved my old charger back, and I saw the blue high-voltage plug was smashed apart when they removed it from the car. (So much for getting the charger rebuilt).

They also told me that the rear drive motor needed to be replaced (58,000 miles)
At that point, I realized they didn't put the correct 72W charger in my car when they replaced it.

So back to the dealer for a motor swap and to put in the correct charger.

Shortly thereafter, the charging issues reappeared.

Glad I have an ICE car.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
I had a Gen1 Tesla charger and it charged 2013,2015, and 2017 Model S just fine, but with 2018 it had problems. I upgraded to Gen2, now have a triple Gen2 sharing 80A. For ~5 years, they used to charge a 48A and 80A Model S and occasionally a 32A Model 3. I recently replaced my Teslas with non-Tesla EVs, both 80A chargers, converted 2 of the 3 HPWC's to J1772 (third one used natively for visiting Teslas, or via an adapter to J1772) - they work fine, charging at full 80A.

Wall connectors, a.k.a. EVSEs, are just glorified extension cables, primarily for user and external circuit protection. There is not much in them that could damage your car. The issue with Gen1 HPWC had to with an incorrect voltage level of one of the low voltage control signals, possibly only relevant for Tesla protocol too. I don't know the exact issue, but I suspect an inaccurate voltage reference somewhere, perhaps right on the edge of the spec, which would explain it failing only intermittently.