Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Series 1 HPWC issues with 2018 model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was stating that I haven't seen people complaining about encountering a Gen 1 HPWC with an MCU2 - which didn't work for us in June during our short road trip to Galveston.

The posted complaints have been about home HPWC's not destination chargers.

And for anyone doing a road trip with an MCU2 vehicle, they should be aware there is a risk of encountering charging problems if they try to use a Gen 1 HPWC destination charger, at least until Tesla distributes a software fix.

I just took delivery on my new S and have this issue. My original HPWC worked fine with my 2016 S. The upgrade to the HPWC is in progress.

The new car charges on public chargers with the J1772 adapter. Has anyone tried the TeslaTap J1772 adapter with an original HPWC, then the J1772 to Tesla adapter supplied with the car? It might be useful to have one in the car for road trips where I might encounter an original HPWC at a destination charger if that works.

FYI, seeing this on my newly delivered Model X 100D... Going to try to open it up tomorrow and dial it down to say 60 amp service and see if it behaves better... I have no need for anything faster than 40A charging...

Jeff
There is no evidence that turning it down makes any difference at all. These problems are usually intermittent, so sometimes it might seem like turning it down fixed it, but it may have just started working on its own. I went through that, turned it down and started working, then next day it stopped working. Played with current but it really had no correlation. The temperature did for my car (both outside temp and car temp, when the car was after a long drive for example it was more likely to happen especially in hot weather).

When we encountered this problem with our new X 100D in June, tried running the HPWC at various charging levels, and it didn't prevent the charging issues from occurring, The problem appears to be a timing issue in the handshake protocol between the HPWC and the MCU2 processor (I'm guessing the MCU2 processor is faster, which breaks the timing of the handshake software in the MCU2).

Recommend you call the phone support list and talk to the charging team.

Until a software fix can be distributed, the only solution is to drop back to a UMC or 14-50 connector or get a Gen 2 HPWC installed.

Though even if you replace your HPWC, note that some destination chargers are Gen 1 HPWC's, so you could encounter the problem again on a road trip (until the software is fixed).

Welp... Tesla refuses to replace my HPWC with a Gen 2 even though the tech came out and verified there's nothing wrong with my Gen 1, it's clearly an issue with my new Model X...

I'm so furious right now... I wish I NEVER would have swapped my Model S... Not sure what to do next...

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Welp... Tesla refuses to replace my HPWC with a Gen 2 even though the tech came out and verified there's nothing wrong with my Gen 1, it's clearly an issue with my new Model X...

I'm so furious right now... I wish I NEVER would have swapped my Model S... Not sure what to do next...

Jeff
Then ask to fix or replace the Model X, if not it return it under lemon law (manufacturer unable to fix the car, since the manufacturer confirmed there is nothing wrong with HPWC).

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01 and P85_DA
I'm in the same boat. Gen 1 HPWC, worked perfectly with my 2012 S, now that I've just acquired a 2018 S, the HPWC errors out with the red light, regardless of temperature or amperage settings. The mobile charger the came with the new S works fine; don't know about the old mobile charger since I traded it in with the 2012 car. I also have a J1772 at 30A for my little Smart Car, it seems to work fine using the appropriate adapter.

Any more info on this problem? I just ran into it - replaced my 2015 Model S with a 2018 100D last week, and on Friday I woke up to the Red Ring of Death. Same symptoms as others have described - red charging ring and single red solid light on Gen 1 HPWC. I pressed reset on the HPWC, then tried again - quick green, then red, and "Check power source" on the screen. Tried one more time and it started charging fine @ 40A (my max setting). It finished charging completely without any issue. I felt along the cable, connector and box - nothing was hot, and the voltage drop shown on the charging screen was normal.

Tried to charge on Sunday - same problem. Quick green, then red. Once again two resets got it going, and it completed normally. I have had 0 charging issues with my previous car, and this car doesn't show any problems at one or two public chargers that I've tried. SC is fine as well.

I see several theories in this thread. The most prevalent seems to be replacement of the HPWC, but there were also rumors of a SW fix. Any more information?

I see several theories in this thread. The most prevalent seems to be replacement of the HPWC, but there were also rumors of a SW fix. Any more information?
With all the other challenges Tesla has, they don't have the time to go fix issues with old hardware. It may not even be possible at this point in time as they might have broken the compatibility at the hardware level so no software fix possible. Had they tested thoroughly and caught it before MCU2 release, they probably could have fixed it, but it may be too late now. They might actually fix it for newer cars at some point, but unlikely they'll go retrofitting the fix to current MCU2 cars.

Most people just reported getting a new HPWC from Tesla - it might actually be cheaper for them, especially that those free replacements are going to repeat customers who just paid for a new car.

Reactions: P85_DA
With all the other challenges Tesla has, they don't have the time to go fix issues with old hardware. It may not even be possible at this point in time as they might have broken the compatibility at the hardware level so no software fix possible. Had they tested thoroughly and caught it before MCU2 release, they probably could have fixed it, but it may be too late now. They might actually fix it for newer cars at some point, but unlikely they'll go retrofitting the fix to current MCU2 cars.

Most people just reported getting a new HPWC from Tesla - it might actually be cheaper for them, especially that those free replacements are going to repeat customers who just paid for a new car.

The problem with that though is there are hundreds of destination chargers out there with the vast majority of them being Gen1... This can't continue forever and Tesla really needs to fix this...

Jeff

The problem with that though is there are hundreds of destination chargers out there with the vast majority of them being Gen1... This can't continue forever and Tesla really needs to fix this...

Jeff
I agree with you 100%, I'm just saying that the reality is that they are not going to fix it any time soon, or ever. Welcome to bleeding edge Tesla products. :(

Reactions: P85_DA and jeffro01
Any more info on this problem? I just ran into it - replaced my 2015 Model S with a 2018 100D last week, and on Friday I woke up to the Red Ring of Death. Same symptoms as others have described - red charging ring and single red solid light on Gen 1 HPWC. I pressed reset on the HPWC, then tried again - quick green, then red, and "Check power source" on the screen. Tried one more time and it started charging fine @ 40A (my max setting). It finished charging completely without any issue. I felt along the cable, connector and box - nothing was hot, and the voltage drop shown on the charging screen was normal.

Tried to charge on Sunday - same problem. Quick green, then red. Once again two resets got it going, and it completed normally. I have had 0 charging issues with my previous car, and this car doesn't show any problems at one or two public chargers that I've tried. SC is fine as well.

Had same problem - old 85D charged fine for 3 yrs then in Apr 2018 new 100D (MCU2) wouldn't charge. Tesla sent me 2 new HPWC units (to replace the two HPWC gen1 units I had) and have used them since then without problems. I then sold the HPWC gen 1 units on ebay for a decent price (making it clear to buyers that they are only reliable for MCU1 cars).

Same problem here. I have two chargers at home, a Gen 1 for my Model S and a Gen 2 for my Model 3. I just got a new P100D and it does not work with the Gen1 charger, but works fine on the Gen2 charger. The Model 3 works fine on both. My old P85D worked fine on the Gen1 charger, as does my neighbors.
Mobile service came out today. They are going to get me a new Gen2 HPWC. They said Tesla is very aware of the issue, has enough cars they've captured data from, and are working on a fix. They said the Gen1 chargers don't fault consistently, but they have a lot of reports.
I found that if I set the dip switches on the Gen1 charger to a 40amp breaker then it would charge Ok at 30amps, but not higher.