Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious 12v battery corrosion. 4,700 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't get me started about that 90 degree connector coming out of the right side battery. I'm repeating the tech's words here... not my own actual thinking. I know that's a vent, but like I said, I spend all my time posting on TMC during Zoom meetings instead of being able to hover over a Tesla tech while they changed a battery. I can only argue with someone so much when they're literally paid to fix Teslas and I'm a loser.

The guy swore up and down there was no such thing as a clogged 12 battery vent, since Tesla's 12v batteries are maintenance free. He said the kits of whatever in their Model S don't have any cleaning equipment for battery corrosion (that's when he told me to pour some Pepsi). I asked him to at least get some dielectric grease on the new battery but he said Tesla never puts that grease on new 12v batteries. The tech punched out since he couldn't do anything further on the repair.

While I respect Jeremy's comments that yes, I can DIY this pretty easy myself... the whole point is how annoying it is to actually have to DIY. Edit: and please go check your own 12v batteries.
the pH of Pepsi is 2.5, very acid! Not basic to neutralize acid from the battery. Baking soda and water is what you want. It will evolve CO2 when neutralizing acid. then rinse off with plain water.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Ok folks... I was deliberating posting this since it turns my thread from a "check your 12v battery" into a "Tesla Service SUCKS" thread. But whatever... here goes.

So my wife was super annoyed at all the bitching I was doing about the Tesla tech giving zero sh!ts and half-assing the battery replacement. She was actually headed down to the Dublin, CA area and the service center there said she could stop by so they could do the job the mobile tech failed to do.

She took the car in yesterday, and they did this.
1655226317786.png

As @jjrandorin knows about my perspectives about half-ass-it-tude. I think this performance by Tesla is sub-par. But I'm sure some of you readers are thinking 'ehhhh, looks pretty good.'

Luckily my wife is similar to me. She was like "WTF are you kidding?" What type of lazy SOBs are working for Tesla Service? The Tesla service advisor said that was the best they could do. Replacing that 12v battery and cleaning it to what you see in that picture was already a courtesy of above and beyond quality and commitment to excellence. He said that was "clean" and he'd be happy with that in his own car. He said he didn't know what "grease" or "protection" my wife was asking about.

Anyway, eventually the service manager got involved. He took one look, brought over some battery acid cleaner and dielectric grease, and cleaned up everything in the parking lot of the Tesla service center. Now it looks great. It shouldn't require this much and wringing and bullcrap to get the repair done correctly in the first place.

PS, nobody knows why the original battery corroded like that. They said I should keep an eye on it and let them know if the corrosion comes back. There's a chance the 12v battery is being over-charged, but they don't have the tools to test that.

If it's not a critical issue needing a replacement part I stopped going to service and watch Youtube to fix myself with some rattles and stuff. Most of the time in my experience, they'll fix something but break two things else.

Yeah, but the problem is they won't just let you get the part and install it yourself.

Take the homelink garage door thing... it has to be installed by a mobile tech. If you open the box it is shipped in, you void the product.

The first tech couldn't get the auto-close feature won't work at all (auto open worked great)... so he just said whatever and left (told us some OTA firmware update was necessary).

And now they're going to send another tech to try again because obviously no OTA showed up and I have no clue how to get this thing to work. You can tell Tesla techs hate installing these. All of this stuff just seems like Tesla service is a no-win proposition because the mobile techs are dealing with too much stuff. It feels like they despise the work since Tesla has them running ragged driving all over and on incredibly tight timelines.

Reactions: afadeev and Jules72
Not on my Tesla, but I have seen cracks in the plastic where the case meets the lead on 2 different batteries. This will lead to a corroded terminal.
4EB3CB93-1E4C-4ADA-A50C-35381081C9F9.jpeg

I’m pretty particular about batteries and can’t stand corroded terminals. This is my ‘03 Cobra (OEM terminals)…
6EBC2C6F-F7CC-4734-8612-90947C522C9A.jpeg

This is my ‘05 Expedition (OEM terminals, too, but I did paint them)…
205E6D40-B25F-4217-B1D5-82377E6C3182.jpeg

Fortunately, Tesla is looking good…
3852F7EC-A417-4442-B956-4BAE9EF92D57.jpeg

But damn it, found out a clip is missing. Anyone have a PN?
276554CC-AE8C-4442-B577-7E1C02053F47.jpeg

And I’ve seen a lot of battery issues. :eek:🤣
77A38D69-FB45-465C-AD0A-4C4815A1F4A4.jpeg

Not on my Tesla, but I have seen cracks in the plastic where the case meets the lead on 2 different batteries. This will lead to a corroded terminal.
View attachment 816827

I’m pretty particular about batteries and can’t stand corroded terminals. This is my ‘03 Cobra (OEM terminals)…
View attachment 816821

This is my ‘05 Expedition (OEM terminals, too, but I did paint them)…
View attachment 816823

Fortunately, Tesla is looking good…
View attachment 816825

But damn it, found out a clip is missing. Anyone have a PN?View attachment 816826
And I’ve seen a lot of battery issues. :eek:🤣
View attachment 816828
You can look in the parts manual online it's free or from amazon ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

Reactions: Black306
Yeah, but the problem is they won't just let you get the part and install it yourself.

Take the homelink garage door thing... it has to be installed by a mobile tech. If you open the box it is shipped in, you void the product.
That's a very specific example, and the restriction is placed on Tesla by the Gentex corporation (who owns Homelink). This part has the same restriction on other brands.

Yet you can walk into Tesla and buy a 12V battery, wheel hub, shock, seat, etc. They will happily sell you almost anything, and they just released all of their service manuals for free, which is way more than most companies do.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
You can tell Tesla techs hate installing these. All of this stuff just seems like Tesla service is a no-win proposition because the mobile techs are dealing with too much stuff. It feels like they despise the work since Tesla has them running ragged driving all over and on incredibly tight timelines.

Tesla has simply failed to scaled its Service Center infrastructure with the volume of Tesla vehicles on the road.
Consequently, my appointment wait times have crept up from a 1 to 4+ weeks here in NNJ.

It is what it is. Recent 10% head-count reduction by Elon will only make things worse.
Elon just don't care about service part of car ownership experience.

That's a very specific example, and the restriction is placed on Tesla by the Gentex corporation (who owns Homelink). This part has the same restriction on other brands.

That's completely FALSE.
You can freely buy HL-enabled mirrors from all other car OEMs. No drama.
Unless, that is, it's a Tesla. In which case, bend over and grab your ankles.

It is what it is.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Tesla has simply failed to scaled its Service Center infrastructure with the volume of Tesla vehicles on the road.
Consequently, my appointment wait times have crept up from a 1 to 4+ weeks here in NNJ.

It is what it is. Recent 10% head-count reduction by Elon will only make things worse.
Elon just don't care about service part of car ownership experience.

That's completely FALSE.
You can freely buy HL-enabled mirrors from all other car OEMs. No drama.
Unless, that is, it's a Tesla. In which case, bend over and grab your ankles.

It is what it is.
yup. also spare parts availability. You can produce thousands of cars per week with all the needed parts - but a windshield for a Service Center takes a few weeks wait... as much as I dislike dealerships... it is nice to have 10x "BMW service centers" in a large metroplex compared to 2 or 3 "Tesla service centers"

yup. also spare parts availability. You can produce thousands of cars per week with all the needed parts - but a windshield for a Service Center takes a few weeks wait... as much as I dislike dealerships... it is nice to have 10x "BMW service centers" in a large metroplex compared to 2 or 3 "Tesla service centers"

This is a direct consequence of the Tesla business model. Traditionally, the dealers and parts inventory were owned by dealers and parts distributors. The main company on the stock market didn't have to carry them as assets or use working capital. The privately owned smaller businesses did, with bank loans.

But Tesla inc wants to be 'capital efficient' and 'lean'.

Honestly I would think about separating a separately managed/financed leasing/finance/parts/sales organization which may even offer capital shares.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Ok folks... I was deliberating posting this since it turns my thread from a "check your 12v battery" into a "Tesla Service SUCKS" thread. But whatever... here goes.

So my wife was super annoyed at all the bitching I was doing about the Tesla tech giving zero sh!ts and half-assing the battery replacement. She was actually headed down to the Dublin, CA area and the service center there said she could stop by so they could do the job the mobile tech failed to do.

She took the car in yesterday, and they did this.
View attachment 816513

As @jjrandorin knows about my perspectives about half-ass-it-tude. I think this performance by Tesla is sub-par. But I'm sure some of you readers are thinking 'ehhhh, looks pretty good.'

Luckily my wife is similar to me. She was like "WTF are you kidding?" What type of lazy SOBs are working for Tesla Service? The Tesla service advisor said that was the best they could do. Replacing that 12v battery and cleaning it to what you see in that picture was already a courtesy of above and beyond quality and commitment to excellence. He said that was "clean" and he'd be happy with that in his own car. He said he didn't know what "grease" or "protection" my wife was asking about.

Anyway, eventually the service manager got involved. He took one look, brought over some battery acid cleaner and dielectric grease, and cleaned up everything in the parking lot of the Tesla service center. Now it looks great. It shouldn't require this much and wringing and bullcrap to get the repair done correctly in the first place.

PS, nobody knows why the original battery corroded like that. They said I should keep an eye on it and let them know if the corrosion comes back. There's a chance the 12v battery is being over-charged, but they don't have the tools to test that.
Wow, it cleaned up nicely! And with a Hankook label, not the AtlasBX one. On the other hand, my almost 4yr old battery is looking a little tired... but not corroded, but nowhere near as nice and clean as Black306's batteries.
IMG_4714.jpeg

Wow, it cleaned up nicely! And with a Hankook label, not the AtlasBX one. On the other hand, my almost 4yr old battery is looking a little tired... but not corroded, but nowhere near as nice and clean as Black306's batteries.
View attachment 818348
Man. That salting of the roads is rough. This battery looks like it is in way worse shape than your HV battery!

Cars in California always look immaculate as long as you are not in beach front property.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and holeydonut
View attachment 818348

Lol that picture I posted above was the quick wipe down they did... before the service manager got involved.

Here's what they ultimately did (which is what I would have expected them to do the first time). They wiped down all of the corrosion crud flakes and applied some dielectric grease to hopefully keep this problem from happening again. What's not visible here are all the fingerprints on the plastic covers that were also wiped down.

1656290238368.png

Reactions: Mike1080i and KenC