Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious frustration with recent updates, features lost...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure exactly which recent updates removed all the features, but I've been having conversations back and forth with Tesla service people and now someone on their software engineering team. Am I the only one who cares that the rear fan/ climate controls were removed recently? That's the big one, but some other things are missing/ or non-functional. And then things like my reverse chimes are no longer working. Service did a complete reset/ reload of the software and it fixed nothing. Dashcam intermittently quits working and sometimes a thumb-wheel reset fixes it, but most of the time I have to re-format the flash drive to make ti work. I've swapped flash drives a few times, no fixes and I see a number of people online complaining about this. The rear screen fro the climate controls only shows auto of the fan and it's greyed out so non-selectable or changeable. All we can do is adjust seat heaters. Tired of people in the rear seat asking me to turn up the air and I can't. WTF...? Even cranking up the fan up front helps little, the rear vents still just do whatever the Auto setting wants them to do and Auto is always weak sauce for some reason and never blows enough air to keep up with our high altitude sun and 80°F+ heat, let alone 90 or 100 degrees coming soon...

Stupid car is also getting mirror positions confused and keeps forgetting my phone for bluetooth/phone/music, but it remembers it as a key. The car was perfect until all these issues started recently. It's going in for service next week so we'll see what they say. Two mobile tech visits couldn't get anything sorted out. I think they're going to replace the UMC to see if it fixes some of the issues, but I'm guessing all of this is just due to half-baked software updates. The rear fan control seems to be gone for everyone now -- except my parents' Model Y still has it as they have not updated software in a while -- intentionally keep it off wifi and advanced updates off after an update last year bricked their car.

Just venting about it all...

This is an early 2020 Model Y, built April 2020 after the factory re-opened from covid shutdown...

Oh, and somewhat unrelated, but I replaced the crappy Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 20" Induction wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4's when I took off my winter wheels this spring. Awesome tires. Tesla should switch to these as their OEM offering.

Not sure exactly which recent updates removed all the features, but I've been having conversations back and forth with Tesla service people and now someone on their software engineering team. Am I the only one who cares that the rear fan/ climate controls were removed recently? That's the big one, but some other things are missing/ or non-functional. And then things like my reverse chimes are no longer working. Service did a complete reset/ reload of the software and it fixed nothing. Dashcam intermittently quits working and sometimes a thumb-wheel reset fixes it, but most of the time I have to re-format the flash drive to make ti work. I've swapped flash drives a few times, no fixes and I see a number of people online complaining about this. The rear screen fro the climate controls only shows auto of the fan and it's greyed out so non-selectable or changeable. All we can do is adjust seat heaters. Tired of people in the rear seat asking me to turn up the air and I can't. WTF...? Even cranking up the fan up front helps little, the rear vents still just do whatever the Auto setting wants them to do and Auto is always weak sauce for some reason and never blows enough air to keep up with our high altitude sun and 80°F+ heat, let alone 90 or 100 degrees coming soon...

Stupid car is also getting mirror positions confused and keeps forgetting my phone for bluetooth/phone/music, but it remembers it as a key. The car was perfect until all these issues started recently. It's going in for service next week so we'll see what they say. Two mobile tech visits couldn't get anything sorted out. I think they're going to replace the UMC to see if it fixes some of the issues, but I'm guessing all of this is just due to half-baked software updates. The rear fan control seems to be gone for everyone now -- except my parents' Model Y still has it as they have not updated software in a while -- intentionally keep it off wifi and advanced updates off after an update last year bricked their car.

This is an early 2020 Model Y, built April 2020 after the factory re-opened from covid shutdown...

Oh, and somewhat unrelated, but I replaced the crappy Goodyear Eagle F1's on my 20" Induction wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport AS4's when I took off my winter wheels this spring. Awesome tires. Tesla should switch to these as their OEM offering.
Last I checked the model Y did not have a rear screen. I’m assuming this is for the S/X?

Also, there is no way you are in contact with anyone on the software engineering team.

Last I checked the model Y did not have a rear screen. I’m assuming this is for the S/X?

Also, there is no way you are in contact with anyone on the software engineering team.
No, it's the Y, nothing to do with a physical rear screen, which as you point out the car does not have. I was saying when you pull up the climate control screen and hit the "Rear" tab, they have removed the ability to control anything. Since getting the car 2 years ago, we've been able to go to the rear controls tab and turn off Auto mode for the fan then adjust airflow up/down. That functionality is now gone. All we have now are seat heaters. The Auto button is still there on the screen in the rear tab, but no longer selectable, just faded/greyed-out. I can manually turn the front fans off auto and crank them up all the way, no effect on the rear vents and air output, it just trickles out the same as what the front ones do if I leave them on auto. They rear vents will blow harder initially if the car is hot and Auto mode dictates higher fan output, but that's it.

As for software team, yes. Perhaps not specifically talking to one of the programmers/engineers, but I have been talking with someone that is from that department in regards to the dash cam and flash drive issues. I have tried to talk with them about some of the other problems, but they only want to discuss my dash cam problem because they can see and confirm it in the logs and it's happening with other cars. They have confirmed that the ability to manually adjust rear airflow was removed, but I can't get any more info out of them on that topic. I've only found two other people complaining about the removal of those controls on FB.. and nothing on here. Do people here not regularly have passengers in the rear seat or something? My upcoming service appointment is not so much about those issues as they're beyond the scope of what the SC can fix at this point, the visit is to see if they can address the car not properly remembering mirror positions or bluetooth registrations and why I get not chimes/warnings when in reverse, even though the screen shows visible indications that cars/people are there.

Oh, and rear fans blow more air when I activate dog mode. But still no way to adjust. And it's not like I'm driving about with dog mode activated.

Reactions: BitJam
The front fan settings control the rear vents which, I believe, are a passive system like many rear console vents which are actuated by a electronically controlled split duct system. Change the front vent speed manually and see how it affects the rear.

I think the emotional frustration you have is preventing you from triaging this in a way that would demonstrate the relationship between front blower speed and rear vent air flow.

Best wishes on your service visit. $10 they say functioning normally and give you same answer. You’re better off buying a vehicle that has two AC compressors and split unit that controls the rear venting. Mercedes EQS EV has this and may be worth considering.

In version 2022.12.3, my rear vents seem to be automatic. If someone is sitting back there, it blows air. If no one is sitting back there, then nothing comes out of that rear vent. Also, it keeps forgetting my phone. So I have to go through the 6-button "introduction" each time I want to make a call. With 2021.44, I would just say "phone" and it would pop-up the recent call list. With 2022.12.3, it has the big "Connect" button, then click on the phone, then the small "connect" button, then the X to get that screen out of the way so that I can see the call list.

I agree with you, features seem to be disappearing.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Reactions: GeezerSquid
The front fan settings control the rear vents which, I believe, are a passive system like many rear console vents which are actuated by a electronically controlled split duct system. Change the front vent speed manually and see how it affects the rear.

We were able to adjust rear vent airflow separately until a recent update, I don't know for sure which update. I think it actually disappeared with the interface overhaul.

You are right that there's only one AC system/compressor. But even if we turn the front vents/fan all the way up to 10, the rear vents maintain the same trickle of air that the system thinks is acceptable in Auto mode for the front. You are correct that when no one is seated in the rear that the vents stop altogether -- when in Auto mode, which we can no longer deactivate. Dog mode pumps out more air in the rear. I can get front and rear vents to both blow lots of air if the car is hot and I pre-condition from the app. Why can't I get full air output from those vents when driving with two adults seated in the rear? Our kids, one in college, the other in high school, are now refusing to ride in the back seat of the car until the airflow issue is fixed. I don't blame them. We've owned the car for two years and have over 35K miles on it, we know how it used to work vs. what's going on now.

My parents' Model Y is still running older software and I have confirmed that their rear vents can still be taken out of Auto and adjusted. I don't think the rear vents were ever able to blow more air than the front -- single system like you pointed out. But they can definitely restrict or turn off. And I could definitely get lots of air pumping out of them to match the front, but now I can't So WTF?

I think the emotional frustration you have is preventing you from triaging this in a way that would demonstrate the relationship between front blower speed and rear vent air flow.

Emotional? Not so much. Frustrated? Definitely. Tesla has confirmed for me that the functionality has been removed. They can offer no other explanation beyond that. No info as to whether or not this is by design, if it's a glitch, if functionality will be restored in future updates. Just that it's removed. And according to the second mobile tech that came out, many cars (as in Model Y's) never had that feature...? How is the rear seat not a torture chamber then? Or if the car didn't have adjustable rear airflow did it at least match the front airflow/fan settings? I get I bought mine early so I missed out on the heated steering wheel and other things but...

Best wishes on your service visit. $10 they say functioning normally and give you same answer. You’re better off buying a vehicle that has two AC compressors and split unit that controls the rear venting. Mercedes EQS EV has this and may be worth considering.
Nah, they are trying to fix the issues. Everything I've listed, with the exception of rear vent functionality being removed, is considered a service issue that needs to be addressed. As I said above, I've already had two mobile service visits and they were unable to resolve anything with software reloads and resets. Diagnostics checked out, but things are not working. I'm requesting that they roll back several updates to restore my lost functionality. Apparently this is not something they can do or that service is allowed to do.

Won't be road tripping this car until this is fixed. I'm venting my frustrations (terrible pun not intended) partially to see who else is having these issues, but apparently none of y'all care if you have air in the rear seats so I guess this is the wrong crowd. Can't wait until it's over 100 degrees out and I have my front AC set to 8 or 9 and the rear vents are running at 3 or 4 or whatever the car usually thinks is sufficient. At least I'm starting to see others complain about the issues with mirrors, phones and dash cam/sentry that I'm having. Having no warning chimes in reverse seems to be an isolated issue for me. Tons of searching online only shows that early Model S owners had that issue and it was subsequently fixed with an update.

This thing? Just took delivery Saturday and have it...sucks that software might take it away...

Attachments

• 20220606_053322.jpg
    20220606_053322.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 481
  • 20220606_053311.jpg
    20220606_053311.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 147
This thing? Just took delivery Saturday and have it...sucks that software might take it away...
Not sure what your'e asking about specifically between your two pictures. But your rear controls screen is already different than mine. You have a toggle for the rear fan. My on-screen button for the rear fan looks like the on/off / Auto of the front controls. Shows the power symbol and Auto next to it, but it's all greyed out, can't toggle it on/off or take it off Auto.

Found a temporary partial solution... My son discovered that if we use voice commands to set the fans to 11, it will full blast front and rear. If I dial the front fan down after that, the rear fan drops down to whatever pitiful level the car thinks it should run at. We used to be able to dial fan speed up to 11 on the screen on Teslas. Now it only goes to 10 with the current software, but the voice command still works.

Car is now at the Tesla SC to see what they can figure out on some of the other issues.

Reactions: cancoi

Did some checking on our cars and I don’t recall ever being able to adjust the direction of the rear seat climate control on the screen. Our cars are both post shiny center console and have manual adjust tabs on the rear console vents. They also blow at same speed as front (which is reduced when both front and rear are active). Does yours have the manual adjust vents? Sounds like maybe a software fix for the majority of the cars removed a feature some of the older ones required if you dont have the manual adjustments.

Reactions: GtiMart
We just took delivery of a new Model Y last week and it looks and works as StTT and Mrbrock describe. I can turn the rear fan ON and it splits the air front to back and stays ON through any front operating mode. The rear vents are manually adjustable. Perhaps of no significance but I did note that when you turn ON the rear fan, the second temperature setting on the right of the screen shows up. I suppose the front passenger and rear seat share the same setting while the driver is independent.
Software is v11.0 (2022.11.101.6 ....)

Reactions: BnGrm
I’m very curious if other people with the newest update have also lost functionality to toggle the rear vent on/off in manual mode. About half of my drives I have my dog in the back seat and I turn on the rear vent for him. (This also turns on the front passenger vent which is fine.) He's not heavy enough (only 8 lbs) to activate whatever weight sensor automatically turns on the rear vent. I turn off the rear vent when I’m alone so all the air goes on me. When I use Auto it turns on all the vents (makes sense to cool down the cabin evenly) but the fan is usually higher than I like it.

If you first turn off Auto on the main climate screen, and then go to the rear screen, will it still not let you toggle the rear vent on/off?

I have an Oct 2021 MYLR.

Last edited:
I spoke to someone at Tesla and he said he doesn’t see any changes the rear vent/climate system with 2022.16. He suspects there may be a glitch in some cars that doesn’t display the rear climate tab properly. Plus I feel like we would’ve heard a lot more complaints about it by this point. Anyone else with 2022.16.x still have the ability to toggle on/off rear vent?

[...] I have been talking with someone that is from that department in regards to the dash cam and flash drive issues. [...]
Thanks for your report! The usb issue seems to have been fixed here with version 2022.16.1.1. I had not needed to reformat flash drives but I would often have to unplug and replug them to get recognized.

Elon recently acknowledged there are a lot of problems with the UI. He said their focus has been primarily on FSD which is presumably why this other stuff has been slipping. He said FSD was the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money and being worth basically zero.

Did some checking on our cars and I don’t recall ever being able to adjust the direction of the rear seat climate control on the screen. Our cars are both post shiny center console and have manual adjust tabs on the rear console
Correct. Air direction and vents have always been manual. This is about controlling airflow.

The display tab for rear climate control in our car shows a power on/off button and an auto button, both greyed out. That’s it. Nothing changes if people are seated in the rear or not.

Air blows out of the rear vents properly for dog mode and preconditioning. But not for normal AC use.

While the on screen control for the rear is inoperable, voice command to turn the rear fan off or on works, but has no effect on airflow.

Voice command to set the fans to 11 will make front and rear blast at full. Otherwise the rear just barely trickles, even when the front fan is at 10.

It’s odd I have not seen these issues reported here or elsewhere online. Service techs tell us they’re having this problem with many of the older Y’s on the latest software builds. It’s 100% software and no fix yet from Tesla. Our car is on 2022.12.3.16 according to the app. It’s still at the service center because they are as of yet unable to fix my reverse sensing issue and chimes and apparently my front cameras are not working properly. Solution at this point is MCU replacement along with some camera module and must wait for Tesla to deliver parts.

Correct. Air direction and vents have always been manual. This is about controlling airflow.

The display tab for rear climate control in our car shows a power on/off button and an auto button, both greyed out. That’s it. Nothing changes if people are seated in the rear or not.

Air blows out of the rear vents properly for dog mode and preconditioning. But not for normal AC use.

While the on screen control for the rear is inoperable, voice command to turn the rear fan off or on works, but has no effect on airflow.

Voice command to set the fans to 11 will make front and rear blast at full. Otherwise the rear just barely trickles, even when the front fan is at 10.

It’s odd I have not seen these issues reported here or elsewhere online. Service techs tell us they’re having this problem with many of the older Y’s on the latest software builds. It’s 100% software and no fix yet from Tesla. Our car is on 2022.12.3.16 according to the app. It’s still at the service center because they are as of yet unable to fix my reverse sensing issue and chimes and apparently my front cameras are not working properly. Solution at this point is MCU replacement along with some camera module and must wait for Tesla to deliver parts.
We can feel air out of our rear vents. And the button is greyed out but turns blue when we click it. Have you had issues with rear seat passenger sensors? Will you get a seatbelt warning if someone is back there with it a seatbelt on? It may be the car is disabling it because it doesn’t sense anyone back there.