Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should legal action be taken at this point?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you guys are missing the point bag it’s impossible to have the car delivered to you without paying. You and Tesla could go back and forth for weeks and nothing would happen. Tesla requires payment before handing over the car. I took delivery via 3rd party transport because I was 200+ miles from the delivery center AND it saved me $600+ in sales tax. Tesla isn’t going to hand the car over the transport company without it being paid for, period.

For some of us it’s not realistic to swing by the store to pick up the car, especially true when Tesla often doesn’t have the car ready... 4 hour drive and 200 miles and if I had to get a hotel because the car wasn’t ready, it would be really frustrating...

Yes I completely understand the distance issue and the reasons why people arrange delivery to/near their home. While this particular case is certainly rare, I advise consumers to avoid a risk like this if at all possible. If the car is damaged in transit and returned, Tesla has your money and you don't have a vehicle. If Tesla chooses to withdraw delivery AFTER payment, they need to bear the responsibility of equipping the customer with a loaner vehicle as soon as possible. This is unacceptable business practice to have someone making payments on a new vehicle without them taking delivery AND without being issued a loaner.

Last edited:
Damn....do you know why?

He was literally just doing his job (Customer Service Manager) so well that it was making the typical non-stellar Tesla customer service look bad I guess.

It's on the Model Y facebook group.

3E7C7E6F-3FFA-4E3C-A0F2-87436EECB0A7.jpeg
04188F50-19A8-4246-860D-4A3EAE704231.jpeg

I agree with giving the next helpful Tesla employee a code name.

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn
He was literally just doing his job (Customer Service Manager) so well that it was making the typical non-stellar Tesla customer service look bad I guess.

It's on the Model Y facebook group.

View attachment 581563 View attachment 581564

I agree with giving the next helpful Tesla employee a code name.

Wow! That sucks! I hope he gets a job offer soon. This world is crazy but I believe he will eventually reap what he sowed.

If you've had multiple VIN's then your bank/credit union does not know which car/VIN is their security for the loan - banks don't like to loan on an unsecured basis.

I paid Tesla directly. When you sign up for home delivery, you have to send the check first before they send the car. Which makes sense; any company is going to make sure they get their money first. At that point it's between you and the bank. I could decide to not pay, but then I would get late fees and a hit on my credit (I asked). Not worth it. Fortunately it can all be refunded if I decide to cancel.
As far as I know, I'm an outlier case. This hasn't really happened to anyone before (as far as I know). Most people just have their car at this point.

Have you explained the situation to the bank? Jeff has a good point, I would emphasize that you don’t know the VIN anymore. It aligns your interests and the bank’s interests. They might be able to suggest a way to stop the payments if that is a concern, eg Tesla refunds the order and bank refunds your payments.

how much of this do you have a paper trail for? Eg was the communication with Tesla in writing?

Also, it’s not worth legal action at this point. Imo you still have plenty you can do by escalating the issue with the bank and Tesla, preferably in writing and showing that you are collecting a paper trail. (At many companies, customer service is trained to ignore ppl who threaten to sue - they never follow through. It’s harder to ignore someone who is methodically collecting a paper trail.)

Have you explained the situation to the bank? Jeff has a good point, I would emphasize that you don’t know the VIN anymore. It aligns your interests and the bank’s interests. They might be able to suggest a way to stop the payments if that is a concern, eg Tesla refunds the order and bank refunds your payments.

how much of this do you have a paper trail for? Eg was the communication with Tesla in writing?

This still doesn't absolve OP of having a loan made on his behalf. I agree Tesla dropped the ball but if he didn't finance and paid cash on his own, he would be out the money until Tesla resolves it. The bank still needs to make money and isn't going to front money for free. This case definitely highlights the issue of Tesla's purchasing process.

This still doesn't absolve OP of having a loan made on his behalf. I agree Tesla dropped the ball but if he didn't finance and paid cash on his own, he would be out the money until Tesla resolves it. The bank still needs to make money and isn't going to front money for free. This case definitely highlights the issue of Tesla's purchasing process.

I agree, I was hoping the bank would realize there is nothing to repossess should OP default on the loan. Maybe they would suggest a situation where OP could stop paying, eg bank asks Tesla to refund the money.