Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious Problem with my 2016 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

That's not the failure mode being discussed here.

The suspension components in question have been the same since 2012 as far as I know...so this is a quality issue. Though, it seems odd they were describing it as a "casting" when I believe these links are forged. Maybe there was a change (which would be very telling), but most likely, they aren't mechanical engineers and 'big hunk of aluminum' is the extent of their insight ;).

There seems to be some history here...tell me if I have this correct.

"Keith" had (or heard of) this issue previously, and raised it here

JohnSnowNW said it was not big deal / accused him of shorting the stock / etc.

"Keith" is back to do a victory lap and mock John & Co.

?

One thing that I think is surprising is the attitude of " The dealership fixed it, so all is well". Thankfully, I can assure you, that is NOT the standard applied by the industry or NHTSA.

Reactions: JenniferQ
There seems to be some history here...tell me if I have this correct.

"Keith" had (or heard of) this issue previously, and raised it here

JohnSnowNW said it was not big deal / accused him of shorting the stock / etc.

"Keith" is back to do a victory lap and mock John & Co.

?

One thing that I think is surprising is the attitude of " The dealership fixed it, so all is well". Thankfully, I can assure you, that is NOT the standard applied by the industry or NHTSA.

Sort of. He also filed a bunch of false NHTSA reports at one point, so while there may be an issue, he is NOT helping to solve it.

A Grain of Salt

Reactions: JenniferQ
Well, now my car tells me this, and I don't know if this is because of the software update I performed last night (2017.28.4 cf44833), or I'm being 'punished' for
voicing my real concerns over safety issues! Paranoid much?!? Sigh.

Back to service tomorrow bright and early. At least that's a positive - seem to be able to get in faster to service these days.
52390692523__CA66ED27-5AB0-4012-998E-C6F07A668C66.JPG.jpeg

Thanks for the link. That issue seems to be about ball joints rather than this issue.

Arther Dent / Keith = Edward Niedermeyer?

No, Keith is Keith Leech, guy living in Australia that has delusions that have manifested in an obsession of Tesla and Elon Musk.

Just check out his twitter page, and you'll know all you need to. I couldn't count the number of usernames he's had on just this site, nor how many times they've banned him.

Last edited:
I've owned many vehicles and never saw a catastrophic failure like that. I'm not looking for a mechanic's advice for a normal fix. I'm just trying to see if this is a trend or an anomaly. I googled it and found a few references to an axel issue but not sure if that is what happened. A one year old $100k car shouldnt just fall apart on the road like that, right?

Things break on expensive cars all the time because there are more things that can break. Ferraris and Lambos cost way more than $100k and break all the time. If you want a car where nothing breaks you'd want a Leaf or a Toyota Corolla with crank windows and manual seats. Glad you're ok and hopefully that was a rare defect.