Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Serious Q) - I'm thinking of starting a new company. Input please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only way to make this work is to minimize the alterations to the semi-tractor. You don't want to be in the EV business, just the RV business. Think about how much trouble Tesla gave the person who was trying to make a stretch Tesla, or how much trouble the Zurich police had to do police-car modifications; they're not even cooperative with wheelchair modifications.

The fact that being able to walk from the cab into to the rest of the RV is an important and valuable feature is a problem. An RV which simply acts as a trailer seems to be a totally viable business from the manufacturing end, but the question is whether demand for that would be too low. I think possibly not: there are enough "trailer" RVs without walk-through access to the cab that this seems like a viable market.

You'd still want to be able to tap the traction battery for the house. But the house could easily be designed to run off solar under normal circumstances.

It is a cool idea and if done right I think there could be a market. A couple of issues I forsee;

1) RV's spend a great deal of the time sitting. It is very common to have them sitting for 3-6 months at a time not being used. How much vampire drain would there be from a 1MV battery? A 1% a day drain would probably make an electric RV much less efficient than a gas RV.

2) I think a Dual Driver is the only way to go. A 28fter based on a semi is way overkill and people in the market for a half million dollar RV are going to want more space. Will there be any complications of moving the motors to the rear? Will Tesla allow you to move the motors and extend the wiring while still providing the warranty, charging and support?

3) When would this business be viable? It could be three years before you got a Semi to rip apart and start engineering on. If you plan to have this out in 2022, what will be on the market then?
Just add the RV to a rental fleet for or AIRBNB to resolve the downtime

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod

I love this concept

Tesla-Electric-Motorhome-e1530284923835.jpeg

But it looks more to be based on the future Tesla Pick-up truck than the Tesla Semi?

tesla-pickup-truck-sketch-2-e1530098816535.jpg

Just saw this thread, cool idea. I imagine the market would always be limited by the high cost. But that said considering the FSD horizon it could grow a lot, it would be very appealing to have your home on wheels and not have to drive it too. I could see young people that want to do some van-life, or even Grandparents the that have a bunch of spread out kids/grandkids selling the house and hopping from one to another.

I have some thoughts!

My first thought / question is how big is the existing, diesel engine based market that you would be targeting? It looks like there are a range of RV sizes, from vans with a bunk bed, up to full size houses that sit on axles. Presumably there is a subset of that larger RV market that you're thinking about targeting. I'm wondering how big you think that target market is currently.
-- first order approximation, that's the theoretical size that your EV version of the market can be

Next question - I'm wondering about the operating expenses of one of these, and the fraction of total cost of ownership goes into those operating expenses. On the commercial truck side, with class 8's being driven 100k miles/year (average), I figure the fuel costs along are around $50k/year ($0.50 / mile). So the electrifications of commercial trucks carries a pretty big cost benefit.
-- I'm wondering if there is a similar cost benefit that would drive buyers to this market as well. Or at least enough of a cost benefit to offset the incremental up front cost they'd be paying.

My guess is that the operating expenses won't be enough of an advantage to make much of a dent in the desirability of buying one of these (driven too few miles / year mostly). But the driving characteristics are probably worth a lot to people buying in this market - no need to use the right lane on long mountain climbs :D

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Bit of research....

Looks like these would be luxury / premium Type A motorhomes. I got close to finding a market definition, but I couldn't find units / year - only numbers that aggregate campers / trailers up to Type A motorhomes together into a single blob. Not helpful.
Historical RV Data
I found a link to the 2018 annual report, but now I can't find it again. More info, but didn't break down the shipments by category - only the total shipments.

Here is one of your competitors. They build Type A motorhomes with a semi tractor front end:
https://www.renegaderv.com/designed-for-your-life

But heck - when the starting price is practically $750K, you've got some room to operate :). The entry level of these starts in the high 2's ($280k). Which I figure is below what you're talking about.

Interesting tidbit from that industry report I can't find again - Indiana is apparently the overwhelming manufacturer of these. My guess is that will naturally lead to placing your own manufacturing in the vicinity, as that'll get you good access to supply chain for most of what you'll need to build these.

(I are not RV'er, or manufacturer of anything like these - so be sure and chew that grain of salt!)

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and neroden

Interesting tidbit from that industry report I can't find again - Indiana is apparently the overwhelming manufacturer of these. My guess is that will naturally lead to placing your own manufacturing in the vicinity, as that'll get you good access to supply chain for most of what you'll need to build these.

(I are not RV'er, or manufacturer of anything like these - so be sure and chew that grain of salt!)
The vast majority of motorhomes and RV's have been built in and around Elkhart, Indiana.
The origins were basically from traditional 'mobile home'/'house trailer' technology.
That was technology intended to be semi-permanent applied to actual truck chassis.
As technology has advanced the industry is becoming less Elkhart-intensive.
You'd want to choose based on access to higher technology than traditional Elkhart.
The famous GM was not an Elkhart product.

To my eternal chagin I have had some roots in that immediate area.

Would Tesla enter into an agreement with the aftermarket to build an RV The Motors and battery would have to be warranted by Tesla Would Tesla warranty it.? Modifying the frame and electrical system to support an RV with the Water tank and Black and grey water tanks.
Would a campground be able to support the charging and powering of the Motor home. People expect luxury at the price point that this would sell at. For 500,000 to 750 thousand I want an outdoor kitchen and outdoor T V Also a Washer dryer hookup.
2020 Renegade RV Classic 45CMR Super C
438492-p-800.jpg

Stock: 12385
Condition: New
Type: Super C
Fuel: Diesel
Floor Plan: 45CMR
MSRP: $574,437

 MAKE OFFER EMAIL FRIEND
 MORE INFO PAYMENTS

WHY

Reactions: Brando