Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Serious Q) - I'm thinking of starting a new company. Input please?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AudubonB

One can NOT induce accuracy via precision!
Mar 24, 2013
(as my wife looks at me with not the most pleasant of faces, as she knows what I'm contemplating....)

So, me hearties:

What say you to the concept of a Tesla Semi-based motor coach/motorhome/toterhome design, fab and sales business?
  • Beginning by taking the tractor as is, with its longest-wheelbase option, and using that to emplace upon it a coach of various models.
  • A relatively modest one could fit a living quarters of approximately 18-foot length.
  • Given something akin to a Peterbilt 379 with a 315" wheelbase, like this -
    Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 3.52.41 PM.png
    one could create living quarters perhaps as long as 28 feet without resorting to further stretching the frame or adding another axle. Note that the famous 379s, like all Petes beginning with "3", had dual rear axles. A toterhome, etc., has no need for such beefiness, and a long version (up to approx 50') would best do, with a single there and the third axle near living quarter's rear, or, even more appropriately, as in the following.
  • Once you start getting into the large sizes, dual drivers in the rear are the preferred route, as with these three examples:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-27 at 4.00.35 PM.png
  • The next appropriate question is, given the well-established motorhome market, why another?
  • And if you're reading this on the TMC forum, and need someone to tell you the answer to that, it must be because you thought "TMC" means "The Motor Coach" forum. NEXT!

So - need determine a market for same exists...or can be made to exist. Assuming a favorable answer, a next Q is
  • How can this product be differentiated enough from ICE-based alternatives to appeal to aging baby boomers, to millennials who are entranced with converted Sprinters, to Teslaholics in general?
    • What about a garage just large enough for a Roadster? Gen 1s were 155" long x 46" high. Summoning the car means one needn't carve out a garage wide enough for doors to open.
    • Smart cars, motorbikes, electric bikes, etc. are other possibilities with their own garage space demands.
  • An irresistible draw of this platform is that 1MWh-or-so power plant. Hmmmmm......so many possibilities. Would Tesla be amenable to allowing that 7¢/kWh electricity being used for on-road homeowner use?
Need find a fabrication location. No problem - not for an industry this small.
Need find highly qualified workers. I've some input there, at least at small-scale (say, up to one unit/month).

Jenny is less than convinced. Humph.

Any have any ideas? Any desire to join in? Or?

Hey Audie - I've been thinking about this idea a lot. We have a ~11 year old 4x4 Sportsmobile camper van built on a Ford E350 chassis. It's a pop top; basically a Westfalia on steroids. (An overused saying, but it's apropos in this case). Our van is perfect for 1-2 week adventures, but we want something bigger and tall enough to stand in without popping the top for being on the road longer. Effectively, a 4x4 Sprinter 170 conversion would be perfect. See OutsideVan for what the "cool kids" have right now in this really popular niche. The #vanlife thing is quite hot right now. We use our van for getting off the beaten path, and want our toys (bikes and skis) inside. And our Husky! But I cannot bring myself to buy a vehicle these days that doesn't have a plug - let alone a diesel, so I'm dragging my feet - hoping something from Tesla or otherwise materializes. Like you say, seems the first step would be to try and get a confirmation from Tesla RE the MegaCharging Network and if Semi conversions like this could use it, etc. and if the rate would be the same/different. Feel free to PM or otherwise.

Reactions: Cowby and gene
One way I feel your pain is that we are having right now to pick up either a Sprinter or Transit. Do not need it in 4WD (there was, by the way, a nice 170" 4WD outside Park City for sale about 3 months ago...). I drove a 170 Sprinter from Phoenix to Alaska last spring and was very nicely impressed.

If only it were easy to turn them into EVs - but Tesla has done it for us. Just a leeetle larger.

I think a slightly smaller toy hauler would be cool for track days. I have a high roof extended Transit for track days. It is awesome but I would really like a FunMover size toy hauler. I want AC for the 100 degree ThunderHill track days. I would rather not have a trailer.

For me it is 174 miles to ThunderHill one way (80 for Laguna Seca).

Great idea, and it will eventually happen. But, I doubt you'd be able to get enough Tesla Semi's to make it worthwhile as a business. Kind of like buying Model 3's from Tesla and customizing them.

The best advantage would be to use the big battery for house electricity. And even with that drain, the range would be great without a normal cargo load. Might need some major slide-outs if the length doesn't work out. Too big for my garage though,

Reactions: APotatoGod
One way I feel your pain is that we are having right now to pick up either a Sprinter or Transit. Do not need it in 4WD (there was, by the way, a nice 170" 4WD outside Park City for sale about 3 months ago...). I drove a 170 Sprinter from Phoenix to Alaska last spring and was very nicely impressed.

If only it were easy to turn them into EVs - but Tesla has done it for us. Just a leeetle larger.

You're killing me!!!!

I saw a Unimog w/no bed that had a custom camper made for it by these guys, if memory serves. Custom Truck Campers built to fit your Vehicles Make & Model Wasn't perfect, but interesting. There are a few Unimogs running around where I live and the scale seems reasonably similar to the Tesla Semi. I've daydreamingly sketched some boxes to try and imagine what could be put on a stock Tesla Semi w/out needing to actually tow anything.

I honesty think a new smaller unit would need to be produced. I have a sprinter 3500 (Thor 2014) and love it. I think a majority (not all) of RV owners/retirees are used to their spouse sitting beside them part of the time when driving.

Make it in a 500 KW configuration. Drop it to 2 motors instead of 4. Limit frame to roughly 25-33’, tesla doesn’t care if you charge at 7 cents KW, I’m sure they are doing some series power purchase with lots of utility companies. Weight would be a lot less than a loaded semi needs.

Sorry for typos - on iPhone.

My wife and I had this exact impression. Her folks began with a tow-behind pop up about 30 years ago and now, nearly retired, roll in a massive “coach” that is the last size up before you get to a bus platform. (They slowly upgraded over the years as their budget allowed.)

We sometimes catch up with them and do our own tent camping in the shadow of their monster and it is simply amazing how little innovation there is in the motorhome arena when we walk around campsites. I mean, hell, just look at them and every single model is a mix of tan, brown, beige, off white, biscuit, off brown, light brown, saddle, and greb with the pseudo “tribal” or whispy flowy lines.

Inside, they’re all identical in every single fashion. The pop outs are the same. The layouts are the same. The showers are the same. The position of everything is the same. The difference in the brands and makes and models is purely a logo on the back. They are all just copies of each other. I simply can’t believe that they have all arrived at exactly the same design after an extensive review from the ground up and said, “welp, there just isn’t any better way to do this!”

I don’t doubt that each of the little innovations (that have been evident in each new model they got over the last 30 years) were incremental and helpful over that time, but then any new tweak or feature is immediately copied by every single builder to the point where there is virtually no differentiation whatsoever.

The industry is ripe for a “disrupter” that (as you rightfully pointed out) can be enthusiastically embraced by the next generation of campers and glampers. My wife and I would never be caught dead at a camp ground with a gigantic bus-sized coach. But would we entertain something “big” that could sleep our family, run clean and quiet, be easy to drive, and offer a “from the ground up redesign” approach?

Yes. Yes we would.

I would LOVE an electric RV, particularly if it is a Tesla at heart. But where would one charge these? I think most of the charging stations will be privately erected and used, such as at War-Mart warehouse centers for its own drivers, and at the UPS facility for its own trucks. I don't think that the chargers for the trucks will commonly be found "over there behind the Wendy's." At least not any time soon.

yeah, but they are at every campground in the country. You could plug into several 220 Volt 50 amp circuits..
I don't think the truck will charge at 220. I THINK they talked about charging at a much higher voltage and amperage. Of course, that doesn't PRECLUDE the possibility that one could charge at a lower rate. For instance, I can charge my Model X at 110 if I have to. But I think that we don't know. And I doubt that the truck comes with consumer-friendly options because they are not meant for consumers.

But I don't know.

Close-up look at the Tesla Semi "Megacharger" charging port

Helluvan idea, and someone's got to be first.

Have mentioned an interest in a Tesla Semi RV as recently as this afternoon - it makes sense. Not to mention from a business perspective that it will fit in quite competitively at the mid- and high-end in the world of finished coaches.

Will try to carve out some time to think about this in a more granular manner. Good luck!

I don't think the truck will charge at 220. I THINK they talked about charging at a much higher voltage and amperage. Of course, that doesn't PRECLUDE the possibility that one could charge at a lower rate. For instance, I can charge my Model X at 110 if I have to. But I think that we don't know. And I doubt that the truck comes with consumer-friendly options because they are not meant for consumers.

But I don't know.

Close-up look at the Tesla Semi "Megacharger" charging port
It's just an inverter from AC to DC, I'm sure they'll offer it all 110,200-240,400V etc... it's just how much juice does it add to the battery when charging. As most camps are 30 or 50 amps (50 much more standard IMO), your at 80% of available amps = 40 amps at a low 200V = 8KW/hr and the RV probably comes in at 800-1200 watts per mile. Add 9-12 miles per hour plugged in, get back to a semi supercharger and add in 300kw at $0.07 and your bill to go 300 miles is $21, versus $60-80 for diesel for same range.

Add in a 7'x15' area for solar panels on the roof and get another in ideal weather 5-10KW a day.

My understanding is MB is going to release an Electric Sprinter van within a couple years or so. Not as awesome as what a Tesla Van would be or a Tesla truck (based on the semi platform), but still might be worth considering using as a platform.

Speaking of the Sprinter van I just recently placed an order for a Winnebago Revel which is based on the short 4x4 sprinter platform, and I'm excited to get my hands on it. My delivery isn't until late March though so it's going to be a bit of a wait.

I couldn't find anything else that was close to the $100K price with 4wheel drive along with the off-grid capabilities it offers.

You do have to do a bit of hunting to find a dealer that will get it close to $100K. All the ones near me refused to give anything off MSRP. So I have to go to Iowa to pick it up from a dealer there.

My plan is to keep it for 5-7 years until someone comes out with an electric camper van that has a really good charging network. Ideally it will be a 4x4, and will have EAP. It also needs to be under $100K.

Good luck.

I would LOVE an electric RV, particularly if it is a Tesla at heart. But where would one charge these? I think most of the charging stations will be privately erected and used, such as at War-Mart warehouse centers for its own drivers, and at the UPS facility for its own trucks. I don't think that the chargers for the trucks will commonly be found "over there behind the Wendy's." At least not any time soon.

An electric RV makes a lot of sense, and it makes a ton of sense for it to be a Tesla one.

Like lets say some ingenious person extended/converted a Model X to be a camper Van. Okay, not the best platform but the best we got right now.

Here are the problems it's solves.

You don't need a second battery as you can use the vehicle battery
You don't need any heating/cooling of the lithium battery as it already has that.
You can use the camper ground 220V hook up for charging the battery and for all the stuff in the RV
AC can easily run off the vehicle battery since it's a large battery. No need for a generator or adding batteries.
You can use Solar to charge the battery for all the RV stuff (stove, fridge, etc). Plus it might get you some miles in a desperate situation.

When it's all said and done it makes a lot of sense to have an Electric Camper Van.

I know zero about this industry, so apologies in advance if I am out in left field. . .

How will this RV be designed so that a person with a passenger automobile driver license can drive it? If you use the Tesla tractor, it seems to me that you already are in commercial driver license territory. Then you tack on the RV part with another axle?

It would appear to me that you would have to eliminate the rear axles from the tractor and fuse the RV component directly to the cab.