Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Serious security issue with phone as a key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't there the same problem if you leave a fob in the car?
I really like the idea of a phone as a key. I'm hoping to eliminate my keychain entirely.
No, it's not the same as leaving a FOB in the car because you need to activate the FOB by pressing the unlock button. The Phone is simply sitting there communicating with the car...or in many cases...not.

No, it's not the same as leaving a FOB in the car because you need to activate the FOB by pressing the unlock button. The Phone is simply sitting there communicating with the car...or in many cases...not.
No, why would you have to hit unlock?

I can't believe this thread has gone on for so long. There's no security issue unless your in the habit of leaving your keys in the car and the door unlocked. It's the same in any car, especially cars with advanced keyless entry.

There are different types of FOBs, mainly between keyless ignition vehicles and not. For vehicles that have keyless ignitions, you typically just walk up to the car and pull the door handle, just like the M3 with your phone key.

Other cars that don't have keyless ignition may not have the other proximity features as well and require direct interaction with the FOB.

If my wife left her keys in her BMW x5, it would behave exactly like M3 phone key setup does: anyone could get in a drive it.

Of course, if you left your FOB that requires interaction to unlock, it probably requires interaction to lock it as well... so you've either locked your keys in your car somehow, or you've left it unlocked and we're talking about the same basic scenario.

In all cases, this is user error.

Reactions: mhan00 and RopDaddy
This is not a "bug" in the system; it's an inherent weakness of the phone-as-key system. If the phone is off, the car cannot detect it. Therefor it cannot react to its position.

I just came back from a long trip. I had turned BT off because I didn't need it while traveling and didn't want the added battery drain. When I got back and the car demanded the key card, I didn't think anything of it because sometimes that happens. I went into the store, and of course the car did not lock. When it still didn't lock when I got home the second day, I thought of checking, and saw that the phone's BT was off. The car was indeed acting "properly," which is to say, not responding to the phone because it couldn't "see" the phone. But it left my car vulnerable because I normally don't need BT for anything other than the car.

It's pretty damn good that they only made three stupid decisions when designing this car. (Using the phone as the key, the glass roof, and using AT&T as the cell carrier.)

Having messed with this for a week, it makes much more sense now. Turning off BT disabled walk away locking, because BT didn't go out of range (decreasing RSSI over time), it just disappears. So you end up defaulting to the card-only behavior. Walk away locking does not work with the card at all, because the car has no way to know the card walked away.

I disagree with all three of your "stupid" decisions. I love the glass roof, ATT is as good as any other carrier, and I can not tell you how much I love the phone key.

Reactions: badronald
Here's what happened to me once during my trip to Canada: The car, being on crappy AT&T, had no cell signal so the NAV in the car was not working. But my Verizon phone had a good signal, so I was using the phone to navigate, and I had set it where I could see it on that teeny shelf at the front of the center console. I stopped at a convenience store to get something to drink, and without thinking, left the phone in the car. So the car didn't lock. Anybody could have opened the car and taken my phone, or just driven away with the car if they'd known how it worked. Fortunately, this was small-town B.C., Canada.

There were some bigger cities in Canada where the car did have a cell signal, but for most of my trip only my phone had a cell signal, and the car did not.

Had I been in the Prius, the key fob never would have left my pocket. I'd have locked the car by pressing on the button on the door handle.

In other news
Leaving the keys in the car will let people steal the car. So don’t do it, simple.
Can we move on now?

Here's the difference: The Prius's key fob never has to leave my pocket, so it never leaves my pocket and won't get left in the car. The phone is used for a gazillion other things, including navigation when the car's crappy cell service has no signal.

And since I don't like having to carry my phone everywhere I always used to just leave it in the car. The only reason I had it with me at all was in case I needed to make a call. I am not accustomed to having to check that I have my phone with me. For well over half my life a phone was not something you carried around with you. It was something that sat on a table in your house. And now the damn thing is my car key and next year they're probably going to want to sell me one that makes toast.

...The phone is used for a gazillion other things, including navigation when the car's crappy cell service has no signal...
My experience is that navigation continues to work when the car is out of cell phone range, which happens a lot where I live. Traffic won't work, of course. The navigation map won't paint if you choose a new view or drive out of the current view. However the guidance and navigation will continue to work even without the map background tiles being painted. Navigation and the map view updates are different functions and the former doesn't seem to need a cell phone connection once it is initiated IME.

My experience is that navigation continues to work when the car is out of cell phone range, which happens a lot where I live. Traffic won't work, of course. The navigation map won't paint if you choose a new view or drive out of the current view. However the guidance and navigation will continue to work even without the map background tiles being painted. Navigation and the map view updates are different functions and the former doesn't seem to need a cell phone connection once it is initiated IME.

The problem occurred when I tried to enter a NAV route after an overnight in a small town where there was no cell service. You have to have cell service in order to enter a route. While my Verizon phone had cell service in every little town I passed through, the car, with AT&T, only had service in the major cities while I was in Canada.

The other problem was that I like to be able to see the map context (roads other than the one I'm on) and the car only loads this information when I enter an area. Google Maps on my Verizon phone worked perfectly. The car was a big FAIL for navigation on that trip with its AT&T cell service. Were it not for the phone, I'd have been lost on numerous occasions. Thus the phone sitting up where I could see it while driving, and thus my forgetting to take it with me when I went in to a store.

FWIW, my ancient Garmin has all of North America pre-loaded. Those maps are out of date now, but I don't see why the car cannot load everything within a five-hundred mile radius of me whenever it does have a connection, so that it could display the full map when it does not have a connection. Even here in Spokane, if I drive a bit outside of town, the map will go blank if I have not entered a destination ahead of time.

The problem occurred when I tried to enter a NAV route after an overnight in a small town where there was no cell service. You have to have cell service in order to enter a route. While my Verizon phone had cell service in every little town I passed through, the car, with AT&T, only had service in the major cities while I was in Canada.

The other problem was that I like to be able to see the map context (roads other than the one I'm on) and the car only loads this information when I enter an area. Google Maps on my Verizon phone worked perfectly. The car was a big FAIL for navigation on that trip with its AT&T cell service. Were it not for the phone, I'd have been lost on numerous occasions. Thus the phone sitting up where I could see it while driving, and thus my forgetting to take it with me when I went in to a store.

FWIW, my ancient Garmin has all of North America pre-loaded. Those maps are out of date now, but I don't see why the car cannot load everything within a five-hundred mile radius of me whenever it does have a connection, so that it could display the full map when it does not have a connection. Even here in Spokane, if I drive a bit outside of town, the map will go blank if I have not entered a destination ahead of time.

You can use your Verizon phone as a hotspot for the car in areas the phone gets service and the car isn't. By default the car disconnects wifi when you are not in park, but you can re-enable it by tapping the LTE icon and connect through your phone while driving.

There are different types of FOBs, mainly between keyless ignition vehicles and not. For vehicles that have keyless ignitions, you typically just walk up to the car and pull the door handle, just like the M3 with your phone key.

Other cars that don't have keyless ignition may not have the other proximity features as well and require direct interaction with the FOB.

If my wife left her keys in her BMW x5, it would behave exactly like M3 phone key setup does: anyone could get in a drive it.

Of course, if you left your FOB that requires interaction to unlock, it probably requires interaction to lock it as well... so you've either locked your keys in your car somehow, or you've left it unlocked and we're talking about the same basic scenario.

In all cases, this is user error.

Some cars give you a warning when all the doors are closed, the fob is in the car and there is no one in the seats. I'm sure something like that can be added to the Model 3 in a firmware update.

Also, sorry to be pedantic, but fob is not an acronym.

You can use your Verizon phone as a hotspot for the car in areas the phone gets service and the car isn't. By default the car disconnects wifi when you are not in park, but you can re-enable it by tapping the LTE icon and connect through your phone while driving.

Thanks for that. But it's easier just to use Google Maps on the phone when the car is not getting cell service. Also, I have only 500 MB of data per month. If I use Google Maps on the phone I'm just using data for the map app. If I let the car connect through the phone, I don't know what else the car might be doing. Maybe there happens to be a firmware update and the car sees that it has a wi-fi connection, so it downloads it from my phone and I go way over my data allowance. Or the car has other reasons to connect while it is on wi-fi.

If I had unlimited data I'd probably do what you suggest. But it seems simpler just to use the phone app than to route the car through the phone.

(Sure, I could pay an extra $50 a month and have unlimited data, but I use data so seldom that it seems a waste. Even using the map app doesn't use much data. But letting the car use the phone's data? Who knows?)

Get yourself a Tom Tom nav to go with the m3. Done.

Why would I do that when I have Google Maps on my phone??? In fact, I finally bought a smartphone just a couple of years ago because I decided that Google Maps was the app that made the upgrade worth it. And I've been delighted with Google Maps. It is indeed the app that made a smartphone worthwhile to me. (There are other apps I use and love also.)

So now that I have the phone and Google Maps which is always up to date and even has real-time traffic if there's a data connection, why would I ever again buy a stand-alone GPS unit? I got the phone so I could retire the GPS unit. And very happy I did.

Here's the difference: The Prius's key fob never has to leave my pocket, so it never leaves my pocket and won't get left in the car. The phone is used for a gazillion other things, including navigation when the car's crappy cell service has no signal.

And since I don't like having to carry my phone everywhere I always used to just leave it in the car. The only reason I had it with me at all was in case I needed to make a call. I am not accustomed to having to check that I have my phone with me. For well over half my life a phone was not something you carried around with you. It was something that sat on a table in your house. And now the damn thing is my car key and next year they're probably going to want to sell me one that makes toast.
If you’re in the habit of forgetting things then don’t take your phone out of your pocket.
The car will still connect.
Simple.