Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously, Ford? 126 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
Ford, are you kidding us? A 126 mile $45,000 delivery van?

Ford unveils E-Transit: capable electric van starting under $45,000 but with limited range - Electrek

If you can't do any better than 126 miles, don't even bother building it. And I don't want to see any report of "Oh the average van only travels 74 miles a day". Tell that to the delivery driver who can't finish an unusually heavy day of work!

250 miles Ford, absolute minimum. In the winter, in bad driving conditions. Until you can do that, and for LESS than $45K, then you won't be competitive.

Even if 126 miles was enough to do most days' work, you're still running the battery all the way up and down its range every day. A 250 mile battery would stay inside a smaller range of its charge.

Consumers often do not understand businesses.
We make deliveries/pickups every day and have done so for 27 years.
100 miles of actual range is more than enough, but if it's not, it will need some charging during the day.
100 miles a work day is 25,000 miles per year assuming one shift, 5 days, two weeks of holidays.

Check how many miles you really drive in 4 years.

My Model 3 has 56,433 miles since 5/8/18. But then again I'm not a delivery boy.

And we all know there's a difference between rated miles and REAL miles, even more so if you use the heater. So 126 miles on paper = 100-110 in the real world, at best.

Consumers often do not understand businesses.
We make deliveries/pickups every day and have done so for 27 years.
100 miles of actual range is more than enough, but if it's not, it will need some charging during the day.
100 miles a work day is 25,000 miles per year assuming one shift, 5 days, two weeks of holidays.

Check how many miles you really drive in 4 years.

As most know 126 miles is the MAX range.

Now run the heater, which will run a ton on a delivery van, cold weather, some degradation, reserve 10% (min) on top and bottom. And you are down to 60 miles.

It's possible they reserved buffer on top and bottom and it's 126 miles of usable range.

Actually smart of Ford to target commercial. These people actually KNOW what they need (as in no cross county trips to National Parks). Economic calculations will be done. Limit route area driven, charging points figured out. If it saves money then they will buy.If not they will not. I'm just surprised this came from Ford.

They could have surveyed current business. And even gotten reservations. IS Ford taking reservations for this Van? IF not I'd say poor execution on Fords part. Elephant in the room the usual BATTERIES. (and having competitive/good cost manufacturing.

Mostly seem legacy auto has way too many offering to me. But then they sell thru dealers and have to have inventory lost for the dealers to show to buyers.

Targeting narrow commercial buyers [simple use case] seems it might work well. Can Ford execute?

If the average van travels 74 miles/day, according to the article, then 126 miles should be sufficient for typical business use. I believe the upcoming Rivian Amazon van is expected to only have around 150 miles max range.

Anyone needing a van with more range would obviously still opt for an ICE (full or hybrid) model at this point but it looks like the E-Transit will adequately meet the needs of many in the commercial market.

Super Cool! They have a website with a lot more info (2.4 kW of onboard power - [120v @ 20a??] shows a miter saw being used)
https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/e-transit/2022/

Its going to be interesting to see what the real world range is for real people driving. I am going to guess its going to be a lot less than 126 miles due to:
  • Additional loaded weight
  • Cold temps in the winter
  • Heater running
  • Going up driveway or delivery roads that are steeper than a driving road (Then using the brakes to go down and not regen)
  • Less regenerative braking used and more normal brakes in general driving (stopping more quickly than just regen))
  • Using power from the battery to power tool or other equipment
I would have hoped for Tesla to come out with something like this but I think it is pretty low on their priority list. But who knows Ford is listing a 2022 release date so maybe Tesla will make an announcement of a Model V in 2022 (S-E-X-Y C-A-R-S 1-2-V?). Unfortunately with the current Ford 2022 e-transit specs I don't think Tesla can take advantage of them for the mobile tech due to how many miles they drive each day.

What really annoyed me is that Ford states it has 126 miles, period. It would be a different issue if they announced that different battery sizes are available for those who need it. And with a van like this, it shouldn't be too complicated to unbolt one battery out the bottom and put in a bigger one if needed.

That way, those who need less battery can save money, and those who need more can easily get it. But the article never mentions this possibility.

What really annoyed me is that Ford states it has 126 miles, period. It would be a different issue if they announced that different battery sizes are available for those who need it. And with a van like this, it shouldn't be too complicated to unbolt one battery out the bottom and put in a bigger one if needed.

That way, those who need less battery can save money, and those who need more can easily get it. But the article never mentions this possibility.

More announcements are expected to come from Ford later on regarding additional derivatives that offer more capability and range.

2022_Ford-E-Transit_01-1.jpg

Short range, sure, but look at those beautiful panel gaps

• Funny
Reactions: E Dizzle
If EV is simply a powertrain option for the Transit, you should see how big those trucks get. Extra length, extra height is 81.5" interior height and 172" interior length. It is truck sized. Way bigger than any proposed EV truck so far except tractors. You can literally ride a motocross bike into it without dabbing or ducking.