Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously, how do you open the FWD with your key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry @bonnie, I disagree with you. The Tesla FOB should have a 3-axis gyroscope (think Segway) with AI software that anticipates you're about to drop the FOB and compensate by levitating in a horizontal position. The inside should be sealed to the atmosphere and filled with helium, and the outside case should have a Lizard Skin Grip layer. This is clearly a design oversight. ;)
Shush, you. :)

I have AP 2.0. I just tested for lag. Result: Approached car until it acknowledged I was within range with auto present initiated. I stopped at that point. I was about 15' away. I double clicked FWD. I observed about a 1/4 second delay when the FWD opened quickly. I doubled clicked again to close. I observed about a 1/4 second delay before the car audibly beeped then closed the FWD. So, I would consider that as no lag. I would be sure you are within range before trying to attempt opening. On a side note, if you have auto present turned on and the front door opens, the adjacent FWD sometimes detects the door as an obstacle and either doesn't open or opens slowly and partially. This only occurs if front door only opens a few inches and not all the way.

For me, I like to use my key fob to open my FWD for my kids as we approach the X, because if we open the FWD by pressing the handle, you would need to step away to the side in order to give time and space for the FWD to open which is trouble.

By double clicking the fob, if it works, the FWD would open after few seconds. On the other hand, most of the time, the X light flashes after I double click the fob and nothing happens. Then, I have to double click again, and my FWD opens.

Now here is the trouble, I double click, nothing happens, and about the moment I double click my fob again the FWD opens at the same time. Because I double click again, the FWD stops in the middle. Now, my FWD is half open, what do I do? I double click again, the FWD closes, and sometimes continue to open. We all standing there waiting for the FWD to open while everyone watching us at the parking lot.

I am really confused on how to be able to open the FWD properly with my key fob.

I used to have this problem and thought I just couldn't click the tiny side window button well enough with my fat thumbs, but the SC recently replaced both my keys with new ones for an unrelated issue. Since then, it has worked every time.

FWIW, my old keys had their firmware updated twice as well; once for the battery issue, once for something else that I can't remember. Not sure if the new keys are a new hardware revision. I don't have the old ones to compare to anymore.