Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously, how do you open the FWD with your key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, I like to use my key fob to open my FWD for my kids as we approach the X, because if we open the FWD by pressing the handle, you would need to step away to the side in order to give time and space for the FWD to open which is trouble.

By double clicking the fob, if it works, the FWD would open after few seconds. On the other hand, most of the time, the X light flashes after I double click the fob and nothing happens. Then, I have to double click again, and my FWD opens.

Now here is the trouble, I double click, nothing happens, and about the moment I double click my fob again the FWD opens at the same time. Because I double click again, the FWD stops in the middle. Now, my FWD is half open, what do I do? I double click again, the FWD closes, and sometimes continue to open. We all standing there waiting for the FWD to open while everyone watching us at the parking lot.

I am really confused on how to be able to open the FWD properly with my key fob.

Sounds like something is wrong your fob/car. While i can't reliably open the FWDs w/ fob with 100% success rate, it still works properly most of the time, that's it, double clicking it will open along w/ the headlight strip turning on. The only times it didn't work is when I am not within range yet, so I had to do it few times when still walking toward it. There's a slight delay between clicking and the FWD opening, but I don't recall I've ever sending the signal twice so that it opens half way and stops.

The X's BLE keys are a nightmare. They're incredibly laggy compared to the S keys. For example, if you use summon with the X key fob and press a button on the fob to stop the car it can take several seconds to acknowledge that command. Kind of useless.

As for the falcon door buttons, they always seem to work when in range, you just have to train yourself to wait about 2 seconds after double tapping before expecting them to start opening. Annoying, but it is what it is.

My struggle are key fob to X distance, and double clicking. Maybe I am not close enough, maybe double click timing (too fast, too slow). It is hit or miss for me. I can only open the FWD with less than 50% success the first try.

The X's BLE keys are a nightmare. They're incredibly laggy compared to the S keys. For example, if you use summon with the X key fob and press a button on the fob to stop the car it can take several seconds to acknowledge that command. Kind of useless.

As for the falcon door buttons, they always seem to work when in range, you just have to train yourself to wait about 2 seconds after double tapping before expecting them to start opening. Annoying, but it is what it is.
I'm not seeing the delay you're talking about - so I went outside and checked, just in case it hadn't registered with me. But nope. Doors seem to respond as expected. (Raining heavily atm, so ignore the first key fob attempt to close the door - fumbled it :) ).

Maybe the lag has been addressed in newer X?

I'm not seeing the delay you're talking about - so I went outside and checked, just in case it hadn't registered with me. But nope. Doors seem to respond as expected. (Raining heavily atm, so ignore the first key fob attempt to close the door - fumbled it :) ).

Could be. I'll do a comparison video. Also, try summon with the fob.

I have AP2.0 hardware.

Oh, right. Tesla and their unfinished product shipment... heh.

OK, so, I went to video the delay. Before I started recording I popped a door with the fob. ~2s delay as expected. Closed it. Video rolling, less of a delay. Interesting. Checked logs, turns out the X was sleeping and it had to wake before responding to the first door open command, hence the delay. Which makes sense. If you're approaching the car and try to pop the door after it's been sitting it'll have a delay. If you get close enough for it to wake first, smaller delay.

The summon delay is downright dangerous though compared to the S. The X will move a good distance after the fob button is pressed, where the S pretty much instantly engages the parking brake. I'll put the video together comparing the two, and I'll let my X get back to sleep before I try to video the falcon-door delay. In the logs a two second delay is very clear, however.

I also just checked, the AP2 cars have the same body control module and same firmware. So, no improvement there.

Wait, even your video shows an obvious delay of the FWD after you double click the fob. And you needed 2 attempts to close the FWD.

Let me ask you, how often do you use the FWD? I use it everyday because I have 2 kids.

Wait, even your video shows an obvious delay of the FWD after you double click the fob. And you needed 2 attempts to close the FWD.

Let me ask you, how often do you use the FWD? I use it everyday because I have 2 kids.
Read my post. The '2 attempts' were due to wet hands and I didn't click the fob, I fumbled it.

I don't see that as a delay. "Obvious" must be in the eye of the beholder. I click the fob, the doors open. I click it again, they close. If that's what you're calling a delay, then it's going to be really hard for Tesla to please you. :)

How often? Every day. Why? I posted the video for a reason. It's actual data, rather than an interpretation. Perhaps you could post the delay you're experiencing?

No, I didn't need two attempts (unless you count wet hands fumbling the fob as an attempt). I noted that in my post, above:

"(Raining heavily atm, so ignore the first key fob attempt to close the door - fumbled it :) ).

I don't see the 'obvious delay' you're referring to. I click the fob, the doors respond as expected. And how often I use the doors (daily, btw)? What does that have to do with it?

I purposely posted a video rather than just my opinion, because this is subjective. Perhaps you could post a video of your doors?

Wet hands, didn't press the fob correctly, miss double click which still resulting 2 attempts to open the door. I don't see an argument here, still 2 attempts.

Now with the delay, which is not the point of my issue if you read my post correctly. The issue is, as I walk toward the X, I double click one FWD door at a time to open both doors. Sometimes ,both opens with no issues, some times only one open, and I need 2 attempt for the other one regardless of the reason. And sometimes, I thought the FWD didn't open and I double click again and the FWD stops in the middle. Then you will have to stand there, wait for the FWD to completely closed before it can be reopened. I run into this situation a lot.

Wet hands, didn't press the fob correctly, miss double click which still resulting 2 attempts to open the door. I don't see an argument here.

Now with the delay, which is not the point of my issue if you read my post correctly. The issue is, as I walk toward the X, I double click one FWD door at a time to open both doors. Sometimes ,both opens with no issues, some times only one open, and I need 2 attempt for the other one regardless of the reason. And sometimes, I could double click again and the FWD stops in the middle. Then you have to stand there, wait for the FWD to completely closed before it can be reopened. I run into this situation a lot.

Oh stop. I didn't double-click twice to close the door. I know what I did & I didn't think it was a big deal to just post that video and explain. If you watch it, you can clearly tell I didn't click it even once. I held it up, and it slipped. That's on me and has zero to do with Tesla, software, hardware or whatever. You want to call that a failed attempt to open the door? I suppose it is. But it's a human failure, not a technology failure. To try to fit it into your narrative is silly.

I have had the doors respond every time every time I double-click the fob. I've not been annoyed over the time to open I'm happy with the response time.

To be clear, I'm not saying you're untruthful. Your experience is your experience. I'd appreciate it if you would take my experience at face value.

Now with the delay, which is not the point of my issue if you read my post correctly. The issue is, as I walk toward the X, I double click one FWD door at a time to open both doors. Sometimes ,both opens with no issues, some times only one open, and I need 2 attempt for the other one regardless of the reason. And sometimes, I thought the FWD didn't open and I double click again and the FWD stops in the middle. Then you will have to stand there, wait for the FWD to completely closed before it can be reopened. I run into this situation a lot.

I was originally responding to wk's '2 second delay' comment & it had nothing to do with you. "If you read my post correctly", you would have understood that.

Oh stop. I didn't double-click twice to close the door. I know what I did & I didn't think it was a big deal to just post that video and explain. If you watch it, you can clearly tell I didn't click it even once. I held it up, and it slipped. That's on me and has zero to do with Tesla, software, hardware or whatever. You want to call that a failed attempt to open the door? I suppose it is. But it's a human failure, not a technology failure. To try to fit it into your narrative is silly.

I have had the doors respond every time every time I double-click the fob. I've not been annoyed over the time to open I'm happy with the response time.

To be clear, I'm not saying you're untruthful. Your experience is your experience. I'd appreciate it if you would take my experience at face value.
now which part of my post makes you think I am a Tesla hater and complaining about the FWD response time? the title of my post is "how to you open the FWD with your key fob?" which I find the FWD often requires multiple attempts to open with a key fob.

now which part of my post makes you think I am a Tesla hater and complaining? the title of my post is "how to you open the FWD with your key fob?" which I find often requires multiple attempts.
Where did I say/imply anything like 'you're a Tesla hater'?

I'm giving up on responding to your posts at this point. You've mischaracterized my drop of the fob (with explanation) twice. I responded to wk's comment about a 2 second delay & you reply that 'if you read my post correctly' etc. when I wasn't responding to your post. And now you want to know why I thought you were a Tesla hater & complaining, when I didn't say anything like that.

So let's just both move on because clearly we're just not communicating. No harm, no foul.

Oh stop. I didn't double-click twice to close the door. I know what I did & I didn't think it was a big deal to just post that video and explain. If you watch it, you can clearly tell I didn't click it even once. I held it up, and it slipped. That's on me and has zero to do with Tesla, software, hardware or whatever. You want to call that a failed attempt to open the door? I suppose it is. But it's a human failure, not a technology failure...
Sorry @bonnie, I disagree with you. The Tesla FOB should have a 3-axis gyroscope (think Segway) with AI software that anticipates you're about to drop the FOB and compensate by levitating in a horizontal position. The inside should be sealed to the atmosphere and filled with helium, and the outside case should have a Lizard Skin Grip layer. This is clearly a design oversight. ;)