Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously Porsche!? Tempted to jump ship, new Taycan Turismo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I should of known this day would come. After 2 years with my Model 3 Performance, Porsche is tempting me to shift from Tesla to a Taycan Turismo (wagon).

Is showing up on my local Porsche Dealer configuration for $120K CDN (~$90K USD).

Tesla friends help me resist the temptation:

Pros with sticking with my Tesla M3P:

- Faster performance (0-60 in ~3secs vs ~5secs) - No, I can't justify the Turbo S
- Supercharging network for long trips
- FSD/Autopilot - even though we really don't have true FSD yet
- Regular feature/firmware updates
- Minimalistic interior
- Cost savings (~$70K M3P vs ~$90K Taycan)
- Larger range (~450-500kms vs 350-400km)

Pros with switching to Porsche Taycan:

- Porsche name (neighbor envy, most of my neighbors have Teslas)
- Sporty performance (not faster)
- Porsche quality
- I like the wagon looks
- Sports car like interior

My wife has been hounding me to upgrade to a Tesla Model S but maybe I should sell her on the Porsche Taycan Turismo

uv8etyflgcztiocraquz.jpg

5 second 0-60 is no slouch, unless you "live a quarter mile at a time" (TM) it should be enough. A Porsche is a real sports car, it's not a fair comparison. Unfortunately, because of the charging networks, I wouldn't buy the Porsche as a "road trip" car at the moment.

If you plan to use it "locally" and charge at home, have the money and like sports cars, switch and don't look back. If you need the "powa" of the M3P or want to road trip it, keep the Tesla. Heck, you can slap on a suspension kit and get it closer to a sports car. It will never have the aura of the Porsche however.

Having looked at porches' configurators before, there is virtually zero chance a "90k porsche" is actually 90k. Porsche has plenty of "options" to spend money on, that will pull at your wallet.

Its a nice looking car though, but I certainly couldnt afford one, especially once you run through the configurator.

one huge negative about getting the model S now is that tesla is not making any.
as a taycan owner who had both model Ss and a model 3 I would say that the Taycan will blow you away.
while a tesla might shave tenths of seconds on 0-60 time is that really so important?
one negative to the Taycans is that the tech side can still be a bit wonky, tesla's AP is in a class of it's own, taycan's innodrive isn't bad but it is nowhere as good as AP.
go for the Taycan you will be very pleased with it.
lastly if money is a concern, look at the audi, it is essentially a "dumbed down" taycan

+1
Same applies for BMW and Audi.

Having looked at porches' configurators before, there is virtually zero chance a "90k porsche" is actually 90k. Porsche has plenty of "options" to spend money on, that will pull at your wallet.

Its a nice looking car though, but I certainly couldnt afford one, especially once you run through the configurator.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
Porsche vehicle are usually aspirational purchases. They have good style and build quality. Imagine their new offerings will be pretty popular, but this is a Tesla forum, and of course we understand where Tesla had advantages and where a Porsche might be the better choice.
Tesla has the best and most efficient power trains, have the best AP, longest range, most efficient use of space, and of course the beloved and bespoke Supercharger network for travel outside Canada.

Imagine that people that pay the extra money for the Porsche will consider it well spent, but for most of us it is simply overpriced for what you get. Wait until your friendly local dealership gets through with you adding tons of manditory options and additional dealership markups. They most likely will have few or no technicians trained to handle issues that pop up.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
I may be a contrarian but paying Porsche money for an electric car seems a poor bet right now. I think that the next 5 years improvements are coming so fast that you will be stuck with old technology. So many new cars are coming out that I am not sure what is the best strategy. For really high end cars maybe leasing ?
you are taking the same risks regarding improvements in the tech regardless of what EV you purchase.
leasing certainly is a hedge against such fears.