Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously Porsche!? Tempted to jump ship, new Taycan Turismo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fortunately you're on TMC so you can go to the M3 forum and check. There's a huge thread from people that have ordered..

All you do is parrot the same old stale TESLAQ FUD. ;)

you'd lose that bet

Do you have proof of this?
Independant auto tear down artist has torn apart most of the drivelines of available EVs. Says nobody is close to the technology that Tesla has implemented in their drive trains. Europeans fell well short. Believes that the upcoming EVs from China will take over tremendous market share from our domestic and imported EV producers.

Well, I should of known this day would come. After 2 years with my Model 3 Performance, Porsche is tempting me to shift from Tesla to a Taycan Turismo (wagon).

Is showing up on my local Porsche Dealer configuration for $120K CDN (~$90K USD).

Tesla friends help me resist the temptation:

Pros with sticking with my Tesla M3P:

- Faster performance (0-60 in ~3secs vs ~5secs) - No, I can't justify the Turbo S
- Supercharging network for long trips
- FSD/Autopilot - even though we really don't have true FSD yet
- Regular feature/firmware updates
- Minimalistic interior
- Cost savings (~$70K M3P vs ~$90K Taycan)
- Larger range (~450-500kms vs 350-400km)

Pros with switching to Porsche Taycan:

- Porsche name (neighbor envy, most of my neighbors have Teslas)
- Sporty performance (not faster)
- Porsche quality
- I like the wagon looks
- Sports car like interior

My wife has been hounding me to upgrade to a Tesla Model S but maybe I should sell her on the Porsche Taycan Turismo

uv8etyflgcztiocraquz.jpg

Dont even think about it,,, just do it

I may be a contrarian but paying Porsche money for an electric car seems a poor bet right now. I think that the next 5 years improvements are coming so fast that you will be stuck with old technology. So many new cars are coming out that I am not sure what is the best strategy. For really high end cars maybe leasing ?

Yes, I think I'll do some more soul searching on this one. I'm going to want something newer and flashier next year and then the year after.

you are taking the same risks regarding improvements in the tech regardless of what EV you purchase.
leasing certainly is a hedge against such fears.
Yes, but the Taycan is Porsche's Tesla OG Roadster -- remember, from 2008? Every manufacturer needs time to get it just right. Hopefully Porsche won't need 13 years, but that is the lead that Tesla has. There is a reason the M3 is the best car on the planet. Well several reasons, but this is one of them.

Yes, but the Taycan is Porsche's Tesla OG Roadster -- remember, from 2008? Every manufacturer needs time to get it just right. Hopefully Porsche won't need 13 years, but that is the lead that Tesla has. There is a reason the M3 is the best car on the planet. Well several reasons, but this is one of them.
get a grip fan boi. the M3 is hardly the best car on the planet

To me today's EV cars are more like computers and phones. That's why Tesla is smart to do air updates which helps negate this. But even with that I think new electric cars will age faster in technology than in the past. Sort of like smart phones and lab tops with their continuous hardware and software updates. Three or four years and they are dated. So its buy and trade in or lease. Depending on your budget and needs that will be the only way to stay up on the latest. Ice cars didn't change much in the last 10 years but that is over I think.

The M3 may not be the 'best' car, but it's a damn good one! Porsche is a high-end luxury / performance brand. Pretty much apples and oranges. The M3 class is for everyone else.

Just for giggles, I configured a Taycan Turismo (lowest model) the way I'd want it. I reached 114K and was only halfway through the list of packages. For that kinda money, I'd expect a little better performance than 4.8 0-60. It's not a slouch by any means, but a Model Y shouldn't be giving it competition at a light.

At 114k, I'm already thinking about what color I'd want my Model S Plaid in.

Last edited:
The M3 may not be the 'best' car, but it's a damn good one! Porsche is a high-end luxury / performance brand. Pretty much apples and oranges. The M3 class is for everyone else.

Just for giggles, I configured a Taycan Turismo (lowest model) the way I'd want it. I reached 114K and was only halfway through the list of packages. For that kinda money, I'd expect a little better performance than 4.8 0-60. It's not a slouch by any means, but a Model Y shouldn't be giving it competition at a light.

At 114k, I'm already thinking about what color I'd want my Model S Plaid in.
Sit in a Porsche Taycan then go sit in a Model3/Y. Pretty sure when that Model Y blows past you at the stop light you will smile and giggle at the pauper as you sit back in your massaging seat and ask your trophy wife to pass you the Grey Poupon.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
for decades GM was the dominant auto manufacturer in the US, they sold a lot cars. many of their customers were happy in the chevys and the more discerning ones wanted cadillacs. then GM tried a one size fits all approach, and the whole thing blew apart as the cadillac buyer went to MB or BMW, the olds and pontiac guys saw their cars become rehashed chevys and even the chevy guy went to toyota.
the point is that many people will be quite satisfied with their model 3, while people who want more from their cars will gravitate to offerings like the taycan. maybe the model 3 will blow the doors off of a taycan, most people aren't red light racers and really don't care but they do appreciate the higher build quality and the aura of being in a porsche.
I've owned many high and cars, porsches MBs BMWs tesla model S and I even downgraded to a model 3. these petty arguments are so childish.
why people get so obnoxiously adversarial is hard to understand.

It's nutty how quickly things are changing. Porsche is still synonymous with performance and racing from their history, but I get the feeling that in <10 years are people going to conflate Porsche as another brand with "good comfortable ergonomics" and "well appointed" interiors.

It was very difficult for me to keep up with a motivated Porsche in my previous cars, but that changed when I got my Tesla MY LR (!). :)

MY_vs_Porsche.jpg

I don't push my P3D- often but I will spank every Taycan Turislow I see.

Reactions: WarpedOne
While I don't doube the Porsche is a nice car, and looks fantastic, I think if you plan to use this as more then just a "fun car to work and back" you'll be unhappy with leaving the Tesla family.

Charging is a huge huge one. The superchargers are just so reliable and easy. Ask some people how their experience has been on EA stations, and not just the corner station near home they always use, but on road trips and such. I still see YouTube reviewers post how often they have issues with charging. (And these are reviewers that are trying to push non-Tesla cars because they think they're great too) Usually they can get a charge, but I wouldn't want to deal with plug/unplug a couple times or faults happening that means I have to shuffle the car around to different plugs, etc.

That range will likely be lower in winter, especially if you toss some winter tires on the car, etc. Are you ready for 160 to 180 miles of range when the road is wet or covered in snow or you have a head wind?

Those are the two big points for me. Yes there are little pros and cons with the car and the brand etc. But living with it day to day and thinking if it was worth spending $120k CAD on it... those two points would be the HUGE things that kept coming to mind. For ~$93k CAD you can get a new S with much more range. In the winter with winter tires and wind and rain etc you'll likely still get ~250 miles of range (3.5 hours or so of highway driving) and of course the Tesla charging network.

To me range is everything, but I am a single car owner and obviously have to road trip in it. If this is a second car that can sit at home when you do a 500 mile trip or something range might not really be important.

Personally I want to be able to drive about 3 hours without having to stop... maybe I WILL stop before then, but to me that's a nice sweet spot for endurance. That would be a nice range for going out somewhere (national park, etc) and back in to charging locations. Point to point you can make a big push and be 200 miles away from home before you have to start thinking about charging. I don't want to be driving out to family near Christmas and only able to drive an hour and a half before having to charge for 25 minutes. I also don't push it down to 5% battery or anything. I like to have 10 to 15% battery range when plugging in, just in case it's busy or power issues or whatever, I like having options.