Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously. What is your max amount you'd pay for EAP?

What is the max amount you'd pay for EAP

• $2000

• $3000

• $4000

• $5000

• $6000

• $7000

• $8000

• $9000

• I like paying others to beta test their software at MY risk and to benefit THEM, so I have FSD.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's only ONE feature that I like about FSD, and it is sure not worth 10k, or not 12k. The visualizer :D Does EAP give you the FSD visualizer (if I had to guess, I would say no)?
No, the visualization update is only on FSD Beta. Once they merge the stacks, it's much more likely that AP/NoA will have the new visualizations, meaning all cars will show it.

Reactions: Ramphex
Good luck with that, but I don't think that Tesla is likely to be in need of a quick cash infusion anytime soon.
It's not impossible actually. They opened a bunch of new factories. Demand is likely going to crater as inflation and interest rates continue to climb. Competition is also getting stronger. Their stock value is like half of what it was not too long ago too. They're also laying off workers left and right - typically not the actions of a company that is confident about its future.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Answering the question from the OP, I guess the max I’d pay is 12K since I bought FSD a few days before this was released. With FSD I get traffic light chimes for only 6K more. Suckers! I got so much more for my money!

IMHO: The right answer to the question:
Whatever a willing seller will sell it for, and a willing buyer will pay for it.
Perceived Value-Add - the meeting place of the minds of the Creator and the Consumer

I think offering a picklist of buy options.
Buy your way up to FSD, Feature by Feature

Related Note: Once Tesla gets 4680 battery technology scalable and can expose longer ranges by "unlocking the capability with Software"...., it would be cool to see them offer "Range Unlock" for a longer battery ranges on a Pay-for-Range strategy. I'd be happy to pay for a bit higher range without having to buy a new car (or heaven forbid swap a battery pack).

IMHO: The right answer to the question:
Whatever a willing seller will sell it for, and a willing buyer will pay for it.
Perceived Value-Add - the meeting place of the minds of the Creator and the Consumer

I think offering a picklist of buy options.
Buy your way up to FSD, Feature by Feature

Related Note: Once Tesla gets 4680 battery technology scalable and can expose longer ranges by "unlocking the capability with Software"...., it would be cool to see them offer "Range Unlock" for a longer battery ranges on a Pay-for-Range strategy. I'd be happy to pay for a bit higher range without having to buy a new car (or heaven forbid swap a battery pack).
Upgrade pathways are common in the Commercial Software community.

Been in the hardware/software computer business over 30 years.

I've shared my views on this elsewhere, but--as a previous "accidental" FSD owner--I'd rank feature utility as:
  • Auto Lane Change (to ditch getting out of and back into AP);
  • NoAP (it's not bad);
  • Summon (occasional tight spots);
  • Autopark (meh);
  • Smart Summon (a probably dangerous party trick).

I might pay $2K for the package, if I had a "spare" $2k lying around. But, until Tesla is prepared to let these purchases travel with the owner instead of the car, it's all too risky. When our MS was totaled (not our fault) we got no value for FSD. So, to all the folks paying $12k for FSD, I hope it's documented that your insurer will reimburse you for it. Same goes for anyone spending $6K for this or $2K for the performance boost.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I've shared my views on this elsewhere, but--as a previous "accidental" FSD owner--I'd rank feature utility as:
  • NoAP (it's not bad);
  • Autopark (meh);

I might pay $2K for the package, if I had a "spare" $2k lying around. But, until Tesla is prepared to let these purchases travel with the owner instead of the car, it's all too risky. When our MS was totaled (not our fault) we got no value for FSD. So, to all the folks paying $12k for FSD, I hope it's documented that your insurer will reimburse you for it. Same goes for anyone spending $6K for this or $2K for the performance boost.
That's an excellent point - I'm going to reach out to my insurance company next week to ensure it's there. I never expected to take it with me from one car to the next. I've never seen any car company in the past that allowed you to take technology packages with you between cars. Many companies offer assistance packages for things like adaptive cruise control, some requiring a higher trim to get them. Do any of those companies allow you to move the assistance features to a new car?

Where is everyone looking when stopped at a light?
They are on their phones, losing situational awareness. Duh. There is such a thing as a silly question. Posting to TMC is not something that can be postponed.

But anyway, is there some new news here? I did not think this feature of green light dinging would come to EAP. Is it?

• Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and Dewg
If I could buy these features à la carte this is what I would be willing to pay for each option:

Green light chime $150
Auto Lane Change $400
NoAP $300
Summon (one of my favorites); $500
Smart Summon, current rendition $50, if it works properly with no risk, $1000
Autopark $50 just to have it (never used it on my last S)
FSD in its current form, very little. True full self driving (level IV or five) $10,000

Obviously your values will be different but this is what I would be comfortable with.

Reactions: CDennis100
If I could buy these features à la carte this is what I would be willing to pay for each option:

Green light chime $150
Auto Lane Change $400
NoAP $300
Summon (one of my favorites); $500
Smart Summon, current rendition $50, if it works properly with no risk, $1000
Autopark $50 just to have it (never used it on my last S)
FSD in its current form, very little. True full self driving (level IV or five) $10,000

Obviously your values will be different but this is what I would be comfortable with.
Kinda agree with the values above, except one.
I wouldn’t pay for it because I like driving, but FSD probably WOULD be worth upwards of 20k as a Level 3+ system.

They are on their phones, losing situational awareness. Duh. There is such a thing as a silly question. Posting to TMC is not something that can be postponed.

But anyway, is there some new news here? I did not think this feature of green light dinging would come to EAP. Is it?
Allegedly it’s breaking news: all teslas will get green light chime. No EAP or FSD needed.

Now I can FINALLY be on my cell phone and look down when at stoplights. Yaaay!

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Allegedly it’s breaking news: all teslas will get green light chime. No EAP or FSD needed.

Now I can FINALLY be on my cell phone and look down when at stoplights. Yaaay!
Interesting. Hadn’t been reading the news stories today.

Sounds like it will be released on HW2.5 vehicles too? Guess we will see, but seems like it should be possible.

Major complete feature to be removed from FSD though. FSD now has minimal benefits with this change. ;)

Reactions: 2101Guy
Interesting. Hadn’t been reading the news stories today.

Sounds like it will be released on HW2.5 vehicles too? Guess we will see, but seems like it should be possible.

Major complete feature to be removed from FSD though. FSD now has minimal benefits with this change. ;)
Not removed from FSBb and Not remotely the same feature. A ding at green light is not the same as automatic monitoring and interacting with green and red lights. Personally don’t understand why a ding at green would be seen as a valued option. More of an annoyance I would disable in short order personally.

• Funny
ding at green light is not the same as automatic monitoring and interacting with green and red lights. Personally don’t understand why a ding at green would be seen as a valued option.
The key difference is that the ding at a green light is (perceived as) a feature you can use when you are not driving the car. While the other features all require you to be actively driving the car.

So that’s a big difference. It’s perhaps the first example of a feature that can do a driving task without requiring attention. My opinion is you should be actively driving the car when stopped at a red light, but then there is reality.

The key difference is that the ding at a green light is (perceived as) a feature you can use when you are not driving the car. While the other features all require you to be actively driving the car.

So that’s a big difference. It’s perhaps the first example of a feature that can do a driving task without requiring attention. My opinion is you should be actively driving the car when stopped at a red light, but then there is reality.
Like (nearly) everybody else in the world with a three second attention span, I play on my phone at red lights. Now instead of the guy behind me beeping (or worse), my car will inform me. I like, and it’s free. Best update since camera view when switching lanes (Best ever and a true game changer).

• NoAP (it's not bad);
  • Autopark (meh);

"purchases travel with the owner"

The SW industry is split on this, depending on the vendor host computer environment - in this case Tesla - and the design of the HW platform.

As a compute platform, Tesla doesn't permit SW-only purchases to follow the owner of the car for many reasons.

On a Windows or Apple platform, SW purchases are placed in the cloud - SaaS Software as a Service (didn't used to be that way), and will follow the purchaser, even to an updated HW platform for the most part. Not always.

Fascinating to think about Tesla as a compute platform. It's form factor takes the shape of an automobile vs laptop or phone.