Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a somewhat longer-term owner (2014), I've seen the waves of newer owners bitching about the speed (and the quality) of firmware releases, one after another...this isn't a new thing (either the firmware or the complaints), and it isn't going to change anytime soon. We started with less than there is now (i.e. zero)...and now we have more, as will the rest of you all.

Bottom line? Once we've had the car for even a short while, we simply wouldn't be driving anything else...It shall come, but if you want to go to Elon's party, you'll have to play by his rules....

Reactions: calisnow
Okay yes, technically we got an update with the Camper mode release, but seriously. I was TOLD self driving woulda been here months ago, AP2 wouldn’t be AP0.5 anymore, and general patterns show we get updates in mid September/ October.

I believe Bjørn has been requesting a camper mode for his Tesla since 2014. So it takes 3 years for Tesla to almost clean out their closet and I believe one last item is for AP2 to start reading speed signs (and become 9.0!). How convenient! /s

Everybody seems to be conflating Camper Mode with FSD. They're 2 vastly different things. Camper mode is likely one developer tweaking a control loop and adding an option to the GUI. If Tesla is like any "large" place I've worked, it probably took at least 10 bug/feature triage meetings where it was buried near the bottom of the list to lead up to somebody getting assigned to make a ~100 line code change, max. Elon tweeting about it probably got it "unstuck" and moved to the top of the list.

As an analogy, Camper Mode like having somebody mount your new TV for you. FSD is like having an architect and contractor build you a new house. Just totally different scales of effort and time.

....snip .... unrealized major improvements based on Elon's tweets that had timelines:

- Automatic exit-taking on AP1 (promised for the "8.1" for December 2016 that never came out as such) ...snip......
wow - every time we find our selves yanking the wheel hard to regain control - our 'automatic exit-taking' scares the $heet outa passengers in our AP2 - we never realized it was a deliberate feature ... cool! we feel much better now. Version 9 - woo hoo! bring it on!
totally unrelated - but i sure miss skydiving

;)

Why does Tesla have to do anything? They have no obligation to give an annual update. They update the software on a continual basis. They will provide a major update when it's necessary. This kind of pressure is exactly why software sucks. Stop demanding things for the sake of having them, let them get it right. You'll get it when you get it. Chillax.

Why does Tesla have to do anything? They have no obligation to give an annual update. They update the software on a continual basis. They will provide a major update when it's necessary. This kind of pressure is exactly why software sucks. Stop demanding things for the sake of having them, let them get it right. You'll get it when you get it. Chillax.

Thou shalt not make promises then .....

I was at the original unveiling event at Freemont in 2011. There were many promises made back then that have yet to find their way in to the car. Something as simple as "apps" and an app store was clearly stated.

Bottom line, if you dont want criticism, dont make statements or promises you don't intend to keep....but, if you're gonna run your mouth, beware.

Reactions: selfbp

They don't. But self-entitled gimmie millenials think everyone owes them something in life...therefore...gimmie.

Squirrel!

Ive had a p85d for almost three years now and I get the feeling that my car has many great ideas...that are half baked. It seems like they make good headway into good ideas and do all the hard work, but then get bored or distracted and never polish the feature to the point that it is repeatedly dependable, as the Germans or Japanese would do.

Self parking had a great start and the hard part has been done because it can self park well, but it seldom identifies parking sports.

The navigation system is good at calculating supercharger stops and charge times, but you can't delete or add superchargers along your journey. This is a critical feature. They are simply way points.

The sound system is nice, but it turns itself on every time you get into the car.

The digital dash board is lovely, but the energy gauge needs to turn red when the car is in insane mode, and blue when the car is in range mode, like most other cars when you change into an economical or sportier setting. (look at Corvette, challenger, Lexus, BMW i8)

The internet is a great feature, but it's too slow and the inability to display video, is crippling. (yes I understand the legal reasoning etc)

So when my lease is up shortly, and the 85 kw is no longer an option, I'm obligated to upgrade to a 100kw.
And I have to ask myself, do I want to go from an $1800/month payment to a $2200/month payment for a car that hasn't had a significant improvement in over a year? I can rent a house for my newly married daughter for that kind of money.

• Helpful
Reactions: vdiv and TaoJones
Squirrel!

Ive had a p85d for almost three years now and I get the feeling that my car has many great ideas...that are half baked. It seems like they make good headway into good ideas and do all the hard work, but then get bored or distracted and never polish the feature to the point that it is repeatedly dependable, as the Germans or Japanese would do.

Self parking had a great start and the hard part has been done because it can self park well, but it seldom identifies parking sports.

The navigation system is good at calculating supercharger stops and charge times, but you can't delete or add superchargers along your journey. This is a critical feature. They are simply way points.

The sound system is nice, but it turns itself on every time you get into the car.

The digital dash board is lovely, but the energy gauge needs to turn red when the car is in insane mode, and blue when the car is in range mode, like most other cars when you change into an economical or sportier setting. (look at Corvette, challenger, Lexus, BMW i8)

The internet is a great feature, but it's too slow and the inability to display video, is crippling. (yes I understand the legal reasoning etc)

So when my lease is up shortly, and the 85 kw is no longer an option, I'm obligated to upgrade to a 100kw.
And I have to ask myself, do I want to go from an $1800/month payment to a $2200/month payment for a car that hasn't had a significant improvement in over a year? I can rent a house for my newly married daughter for that kind of money.

Um... didn't you just give her away to a new husband for them to support each other? ;)

The term "dog mode" was first coined by Ryan McCaffrey on his 'Ride the lightning' podcast. It is not 'camper mode'. It concerns the "Cabin Overheat Prevention" that if enabled will keep the cabin temperature at 40C (105F) or below. Mr Musk did publicly state that come software v8.1 that would be adjustable. I've got v8.1 but I have no way to change that temperature which I think is way too high. Every year dogs and babies die because the absent minded owner forgets they have been left in a closed car in the sun, maybe they go to work and only discovers the death hours latter. Sure it's the owners fault but that won't restore life to a corpse. Just how long can a baby survive at 40C before it dies from a combination of heat stress and dehydration ? The press has been known to be unfair to Tesla in the past (car fires anyone) can you imagine what they could do with this ? Please give me adjustable temperature for Cabin Overheat Prevention as promised.
For those who might think Camper Mode is the same thing, it is not, that just allows one to maintain a constant cabin temperature while Cabin Overheat Prevention (provided the owner had enabled it one time) will always prevent the cabin temperature from going above a preset level, currently 40C and not adjustable.
Edit: Cabin Overheat Prevention ceases to function once the battery level falls to 20%.

Last edited:
I'm sorry - what planet do you think you're on sir?